NesterDC SE Release Delayed (beware p.8 for 56k'ers)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Turtle
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Turtle »

Is the CD builder program going to be available for us Mac users?
How would we go about using these features?
The debut release from Invisible Sea on Happy Turtle Records- Spring 2005
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Probably virtualPC for now. I did ask him this once, and it eventually should be portable to other OSes; I could be wrong and wait for him to chime in, but I think it is based off the scripting language from KDE's browser. Well, guess what Safari is based on :D
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Turtle wrote:Is the CD builder program going to be available for us Mac users?
I'm going to go one of two ways for the CD builder, both of which are cross-platform-ish.

I could do Java, but then I don't have the luxury of using lots of the open-source C/C++ libs that I'm familiar with. Plus I haven't written Java in a long time.

I can also use wxWindows, a cross platform API for a native, non-interpreted app. I think I'll go with with wxWindows. I certainly will try to make the CD builder work on Mac, but I might make a release before that. The reason being that I know absolutely nothing about Mac development. I don't know what the standard IDE is, what issues there are in porting stuff. Just plain nothing. Maybe, when the time comes, someone here with Mac programming experience can help me out. But for now, the first release targets for the builder will be Linux and Windows.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

scherzo wrote:
Turtle wrote:Is the CD builder program going to be available for us Mac users?
I'm going to go one of two ways for the CD builder, both of which are cross-platform-ish.

I could do Java, but then I don't have the luxury of using lots of the open-source C/C++ libs that I'm familiar with. Plus I haven't written Java in a long time.

I can also use wxWindows, a cross platform API for a native, non-interpreted app. I think I'll go with with wxWindows. I certainly will try to make the CD builder work on Mac, but I might make a release before that. The reason being that I know absolutely nothing about Mac development. I don't know what the standard IDE is, what issues there are in porting stuff. Just plain nothing. Maybe, when the time comes, someone here with Mac programming experience can help me out. But for now, the first release targets for the builder will be Linux and Windows.
If you are doing a linux port (BA may need to correct me), then you are not far off from an OS X port. OS X is based on BSD Unix, but many of the linux API's are built into the lastest OS X now. So if you have linux source code, then porting isn't so bad (Apple claims). For IDE, OS X comes with it's own set of developers tools so any one of us with OS X can at least try building. Since this sounds like a gui app, I assume you are targetting X windows (kde? genome? using X libraries??). Once you have the source done, all that may be needed is some adjustments and tweaks to get it to build with OS X. I have little programing experience, but I know enough of the IDE to build something when it is given to me. I.M. has far more experience and may know the needed adjustments to get the linux source code to build.

edit:

ba humbug. I should have said X11 :lol: . What is Apple going to do when they have to start calling it OS XI?
Last edited by abydos1000 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by nomis »

Do you know if the translated version of kid dracula and 100world stories work? I think it's a great idea to port dreamscript and nesterDC SE to PC. I supose that with all these project SuperFamicast won't be worked on for a loong time.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

this sounds so awesome, di you get the menu graphics sorted out scherzo? if not i'll be happy to make something up for you
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

jtnewman wrote:If you are doing a linux port (BA may need to correct me), then you are not far off from an OS X port. OS X is based on BSD Unix, but many of the linux API's are built into the lastest OS X now. So if you have linux source code, then porting isn't so bad (Apple claims). For IDE, OS X comes with it's own set of developers tools so any one of us with OS X can at least try building. Since this sounds like a gui app, I assume you are targetting X windows (kde? genome? using X libraries??). Once you have the source done, all that may be needed is some adjustments and tweaks to get it to build with OS X. I have little programing experience, but I know enough of the IDE to build something when it is given to me. I.M. has far more experience and may know the needed adjustments to get the linux source code to build.

edit:

ba humbug. I should have said X11 :lol: . What is Apple going to do when they have to start calling it OS XI?
Yeah, I know it's based on BSD and X11, so a lot of stuff for Linux actually ports flawlessly. On top of that, wxWindows is designed to be portable across Windows, OSX, and GTK (Linux). So, yeah, I'll need someone like you to try to get the darn thing to compile. I'll probably also set up PearPC on my computer to test as well.

But before all this, I've got quite a bit of programming left to do in NesterDC SE itself. 95% of the code I write now is DreamScript instead of C/C++. DS really truly drives the whole thing.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Drinkcast wrote:Hey Scherzo, this new idea just in!!

Create a new directory in this NEsterDC SE called "Gallery". In this gallery, you can put miscellaneous pictures/screenshots, atleast sizes up to 640x480 jpeg or png.

Scherzo, that would be so cool to do that. We can have a directory to look at pictures. A gallery of misc. pics. Please let happen!
Yeah, yeah, something like this will exist. I've been finding lots of very cool poster scans that would fit in this category. Like ones from Ultra, Konami (same thing lol), various hardware posters, and others. Shit, you'll be able to put pr0n in there if you want. hehe
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

i know you probably have something in place already but i had the time so...

something like this would be nice
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

souLLy wrote:i know you probably have something in place already but i had the time so...

something like this would be nice
That's sylin', dude, but I already have a theme from braze. It's good too. Of course, you'll be able to make your own themes when it's release. But even cooler is the fact the you'll have the power to completely change the behavior of the menus and such without writing any C/C++ whatsoever. For instance, my game select screen isn't laid out like yours, but it could be.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Thats a spiffy theme.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

But even cooler is the fact the you'll have the power to completely change the behavior of the menus and such without writing any C/C++ whatsoever. For instance, my game select screen isn't laid out like yours, but it could be.
Might as well call them skins and not themes. :P
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

LyingWake wrote:
But even cooler is the fact the you'll have the power to completely change the behavior of the menus and such without writing any C/C++ whatsoever. For instance, my game select screen isn't laid out like yours, but it could be.
Might as well call them skins and not themes. :P
Calling them skins or themes is weak. It's another programming language. That's what it is.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

scherzo wrote:Every time I work on it, I feel like I'm making my ultimate NES tribute. For me, emulation is great, but it lacks some of the nostalgic feeling I get when playing on real hardware. That's why I want to be able to look at boxart, screenshots, and read instruction manuals. It helps me remember the late 80s and how fun everything associated with NES was.
This is exactly how I think about it too. I once thought adding all the extra info about the game with Dream Inducer. And the whole system of downloading only the extra needed parts is wonderfull! By providing the extra content directly, we can enjoy the software how it is meant to be and not hassling with all the DIY stuff. Please take all the time you need ;)
impact135 wrote:it would be nice to include the box art and screenshots with the emu though (maybe a seperate download).. the sega master system plus emu supports screenshots but you gotta rename every rom.. that would take hours.. bahh!! not worth it.
As I love SMS Plus also, I wanted to enjoy everyone the neat screenshots preview function. So Impact, read the SMS Plus Knowledge Base, besides all the info about this emu you can also find out that when you use SMS Checker 0.81 to easily rename all your roms, the premade screenshots package will direclty work with it, with no hassles!
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

ya that would be cool, but could you make it so the roms are seperated like in dif folders for ya usa, jap, uk, hacks and pd
nomis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by nomis »

Yes, you can use hack on NesterDC(my version is 6.0).

If you like those try Super mario adventure, it's literally a new mario bros based on mario 3

-save feature
-more than 100 new level
-new graphic and monster
-weather effect
-key to find through 7 world(in any order) so you can access world 8
-new power up
-infinite live(you will need it!), 1up mushroom now give 50$
-$ now serve to buy thing
-other thing i forgot

the hack is not easy to find. i'll post a link when i find it back. Done by dahrkdaiz or something like that. Work perfectly on NesterDC. It's easylly the most awesome hack i have never seen.
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

I do beleive what gamedudex2 meant was separating the roms in different folders like keeping Jap roms in a folder, hacks in another, Unlicensed in another folder and so on. NesterDC already has very high compatibility and very few hacks don't work. Like ascii bros and gomba's revenge. But other than that almost every hack I've tried seems to work on NesterDC.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

nomis wrote:Yes, you can use hack on NesterDC(my version is 6.0).

If you like those try Super mario adventure, it's literally a new mario bros based on mario 3

-save feature
-more than 100 new level
-new graphic and monster
-weather effect
-key to find through 7 world(in any order) so you can access world 8
-new power up
-infinite live(you will need it!), 1up mushroom now give 50$
-$ now serve to buy thing
-other thing i forgot

the hack is not easy to find. i'll post a link when i find it back. Done by dahrkdaiz or something like that. Work perfectly on NesterDC. It's easylly the most awesome hack i have never seen.
i found the "official" page, lol, looks a very cool game !
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

I do beleive what gamedudex2 meant was separating the roms in different folders like keeping Jap roms in a folder, hacks in another, Unlicensed in another folder and so on.
Don't see why there wouldn't be support like this in SE, since older versions did support this.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Umm, is that SMW that same one that is reviewed on the GTA :Nes site?

I hope this thing supports the GTA game. That will make my year.

All hail Scherzo!