Yabause-dc News (and 0.0.7 release!)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
User avatar
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:12 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Clessy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:51 am

Alexvrb wrote:I said remotely accurate AND playable. Meaning something that can actually play some games, and at a reasonable speed. I'm sure you'd like to show Bluecrab how to implement "teh trickz0rs". :/
I'm sure he already knows. Now stop being stupid. Underclocking sheets takes tons of pointless time.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5410
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times
Contact:

Post by BlueCrab » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:48 am

Link2k4 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Yeah, speaking of Dreamcast-specific optimizations (since everyone likes throwing that around today), here's my list of todos for Yabause-dc:

1) Optimized SH2 CPU core - Preferably a dynarec of sorts, basically just reversing the endianness.
2) Optimized VDP1 - The Saturn's VDP1 is in many respects very similar to the PVR in the Dreamcast, I must make use of the similarites.

That's what's on my list right now, hopefully after the first is done (which will take a while, believe me, cpu emulators are no easy task to write) things will move along much faster.... hopefully.

To Link2k4: Actually, the 2D parts of the saturn are a lot more complex to emulate at any sort of speed. And the main reason I even started on porting yabause was to see if it was possible to emulate the Saturn on the Dreamcast. I truly don't know what the future holds, but I doubt that alone I'll be able to get full speed. Who knows, only time will tell on that one.

Thanks, Blue crab,I am glad you cleared it up. I hope you can pull this off. I will be rooting for you now and in the future. :}
Thanks for your support :) (Its good to have fans)
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
Posts: 1754
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:25 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Alexvrb » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:12 pm

Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:I said remotely accurate AND playable. Meaning something that can actually play some games, and at a reasonable speed. I'm sure you'd like to show Bluecrab how to implement "teh trickz0rs". :/
I'm sure he already knows. Now stop being stupid. Underclocking sheets takes tons of pointless time.
I'm sure he does, and I'm sure you don't, which is why I don't like it when you denigrate the work of emulator authors/porters. You act like emulating a Saturn just requires "optimization" and "speed hacks", and doesn't require much more power to emulate than a PSX. You're being far too dismissive of the complexities of the Saturn hardware. Now do you understand?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:15 pm
Location: At the end of the stage with a MASSIVE arsenal!
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by jessman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:59 am

BlueCrab wrote:I truly don't know what the future holds, but I doubt that alone I'll be able to get full speed. Who knows, only time will tell on that one.
:cry: That was beautiful man! Just beautiful! sniffle!
Image

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
User avatar
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:12 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Clessy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:46 am

Alexvrb wrote:
Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:I said remotely accurate AND playable. Meaning something that can actually play some games, and at a reasonable speed. I'm sure you'd like to show Bluecrab how to implement "teh trickz0rs". :/
I'm sure he already knows. Now stop being stupid. Underclocking sheets takes tons of pointless time.
I'm sure he does, and I'm sure you don't, which is why I don't like it when you denigrate the work of emulator authors/porters. You act like emulating a Saturn just requires "optimization" and "speed hacks", and doesn't require much more power to emulate than a PSX. You're being far too dismissive of the complexities of the Saturn hardware. Now do you understand?
You miss understanding. I'm saying it will take more than just optimization. It will have to take different routes. No one said it would be easy. I said its gonna have to go above the work of just optimized C code.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
User avatar
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Posts: 7489
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Miami, FL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Post by Quzar » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:07 pm

Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:
Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:I said remotely accurate AND playable. Meaning something that can actually play some games, and at a reasonable speed. I'm sure you'd like to show Bluecrab how to implement "teh trickz0rs". :/
I'm sure he already knows. Now stop being stupid. Underclocking sheets takes tons of pointless time.
I'm sure he does, and I'm sure you don't, which is why I don't like it when you denigrate the work of emulator authors/porters. You act like emulating a Saturn just requires "optimization" and "speed hacks", and doesn't require much more power to emulate than a PSX. You're being far too dismissive of the complexities of the Saturn hardware. Now do you understand?
You miss understanding. I'm saying it will take more than just optimization. It will have to take different routes. No one said it would be easy. I said its gonna have to go above the work of just optimized C code.
Yea, cause you know... PCSX, the optimized C code gives us a fullspeed PSX emulator but that just wont work for a saturn emulator.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5410
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times
Contact:

Post by BlueCrab » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:43 pm

Could we please stop with the arguing? Thanks.
User avatar
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:12 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Clessy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:47 pm

quzar wrote:
Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:
Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:I said remotely accurate AND playable. Meaning something that can actually play some games, and at a reasonable speed. I'm sure you'd like to show Bluecrab how to implement "teh trickz0rs". :/
I'm sure he already knows. Now stop being stupid. Underclocking sheets takes tons of pointless time.
I'm sure he does, and I'm sure you don't, which is why I don't like it when you denigrate the work of emulator authors/porters. You act like emulating a Saturn just requires "optimization" and "speed hacks", and doesn't require much more power to emulate than a PSX. You're being far too dismissive of the complexities of the Saturn hardware. Now do you understand?
You miss understanding. I'm saying it will take more than just optimization. It will have to take different routes. No one said it would be easy. I said its gonna have to go above the work of just optimized C code.
Yea, cause you know... PCSX, the optimized C code gives us a fullspeed PSX emulator but that just wont work for a saturn emulator.
Wtf are you talking about? Optimized C gives us nothing on PCSX unless you meant he PC version which has no relivance at all. Anyways no more arguing.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Posts: 2662
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:19 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by gamedudex2 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:27 pm

poor clessy doesn't quite understand sarcasm
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
Posts: 1754
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:25 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Alexvrb » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:25 pm

I wasn't attempting to argue... But can a man really let something like this sit unchallenged?
Clessy wrote:Plus with optmization saturn could be runing on 500mhz pc. psx ran fine on 300mhz pc via bleem.
That's a slap in the face of anyone ever working on a Saturn emulator.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
User avatar
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:12 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Clessy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:39 pm

No it's not. Why should they be able to optimize something that well. It's not like they know the hardware inside and out. I give them much more credit then authors of GBA.They'res just no way in hell it should be taking a 700mhz to run GBA.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
User avatar
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Posts: 7489
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Miami, FL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Post by Quzar » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:09 am

Clessy wrote:No it's not. Why should they be able to optimize something that well. It's not like they know the hardware inside and out. I give them much more credit then authors of GBA.They'res just no way in hell it should be taking a 700mhz to run GBA.
No, you're just completely ignorant of the power required to emulate these things. Its not that they're doing a bad job, its that you don't know what you're talking about.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
User avatar
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:36 pm
Location: Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by GratefulDead » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:18 pm

Strong bump. lol

I remember when this thread was originally created :(
User avatar
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Posts: 8595
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:27 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Skynet » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09 am

Blue Carb
:lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
User avatar
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:47 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by TseTinGFunG » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:09 am

just a bump.. damn!!!
Now Playing - Counter-Strike Dreamcast (CSDC) Beta 5.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:27 am
Location: Prisoner of the Nintendo Police?
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Hobbes T Tiger » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:44 pm

Is this the thread where I explained about the little men in the Saturn?
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Posts: 2662
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:19 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by gamedudex2 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:13 am

Hobbes T Tiger wrote:Is this the thread where I explained about the little men in the Saturn?
lol, wtf?
User avatar
Shinto
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:11 pm
Location: Tokyo, New York
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Shinto » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:12 pm

So... When will this be released?
Yeah I'm Back, So Be Happy!
Post Reply