Yabause-dc News (and 0.0.7 release!)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Clessy »

Alexvrb wrote:I said remotely accurate AND playable. Meaning something that can actually play some games, and at a reasonable speed. I'm sure you'd like to show Bluecrab how to implement "teh trickz0rs". :/
I'm sure he already knows. Now stop being stupid. Underclocking sheets takes tons of pointless time.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Link2k4 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Yeah, speaking of Dreamcast-specific optimizations (since everyone likes throwing that around today), here's my list of todos for Yabause-dc:

1) Optimized SH2 CPU core - Preferably a dynarec of sorts, basically just reversing the endianness.
2) Optimized VDP1 - The Saturn's VDP1 is in many respects very similar to the PVR in the Dreamcast, I must make use of the similarites.

That's what's on my list right now, hopefully after the first is done (which will take a while, believe me, cpu emulators are no easy task to write) things will move along much faster.... hopefully.

To Link2k4: Actually, the 2D parts of the saturn are a lot more complex to emulate at any sort of speed. And the main reason I even started on porting yabause was to see if it was possible to emulate the Saturn on the Dreamcast. I truly don't know what the future holds, but I doubt that alone I'll be able to get full speed. Who knows, only time will tell on that one.

Thanks, Blue crab,I am glad you cleared it up. I hope you can pull this off. I will be rooting for you now and in the future. :}
Thanks for your support :) (Its good to have fans)
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:I said remotely accurate AND playable. Meaning something that can actually play some games, and at a reasonable speed. I'm sure you'd like to show Bluecrab how to implement "teh trickz0rs". :/
I'm sure he already knows. Now stop being stupid. Underclocking sheets takes tons of pointless time.
I'm sure he does, and I'm sure you don't, which is why I don't like it when you denigrate the work of emulator authors/porters. You act like emulating a Saturn just requires "optimization" and "speed hacks", and doesn't require much more power to emulate than a PSX. You're being far too dismissive of the complexities of the Saturn hardware. Now do you understand?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

BlueCrab wrote:I truly don't know what the future holds, but I doubt that alone I'll be able to get full speed. Who knows, only time will tell on that one.
:cry: That was beautiful man! Just beautiful! sniffle!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

Alexvrb wrote:
Clessy wrote:
I'm sure he does, and I'm sure you don't, which is why I don't like it when you denigrate the work of emulator authors/porters. You act like emulating a Saturn just requires "optimization" and "speed hacks", and doesn't require much more power to emulate than a PSX. You're being far too dismissive of the complexities of the Saturn hardware. Now do you understand?
You miss understanding. I'm saying it will take more than just optimization. It will have to take different routes. No one said it would be easy. I said its gonna have to go above the work of just optimized C code.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:
Clessy wrote:
You miss understanding. I'm saying it will take more than just optimization. It will have to take different routes. No one said it would be easy. I said its gonna have to go above the work of just optimized C code.
Yea, cause you know... PCSX, the optimized C code gives us a fullspeed PSX emulator but that just wont work for a saturn emulator.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Could we please stop with the arguing? Thanks.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

quzar wrote:
Clessy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:
Clessy wrote:
Yea, cause you know... PCSX, the optimized C code gives us a fullspeed PSX emulator but that just wont work for a saturn emulator.
Wtf are you talking about? Optimized C gives us nothing on PCSX unless you meant he PC version which has no relivance at all. Anyways no more arguing.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

poor clessy doesn't quite understand sarcasm
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I wasn't attempting to argue... But can a man really let something like this sit unchallenged?
Clessy wrote:Plus with optmization saturn could be runing on 500mhz pc. psx ran fine on 300mhz pc via bleem.
That's a slap in the face of anyone ever working on a Saturn emulator.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

No it's not. Why should they be able to optimize something that well. It's not like they know the hardware inside and out. I give them much more credit then authors of GBA.They'res just no way in hell it should be taking a 700mhz to run GBA.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Clessy wrote:No it's not. Why should they be able to optimize something that well. It's not like they know the hardware inside and out. I give them much more credit then authors of GBA.They'res just no way in hell it should be taking a 700mhz to run GBA.
No, you're just completely ignorant of the power required to emulate these things. Its not that they're doing a bad job, its that you don't know what you're talking about.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Strong bump. lol

I remember when this thread was originally created :(
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Blue Carb
:lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

just a bump.. damn!!!
Now Playing - Counter-Strike Dreamcast (CSDC) Beta 5.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Is this the thread where I explained about the little men in the Saturn?
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Hobbes T Tiger wrote:Is this the thread where I explained about the little men in the Saturn?
lol, wtf?
Shinto
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shinto »

So... When will this be released?
Yeah I'm Back, So Be Happy!