Sega Contacts?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega Contacts?

Post by goatdan »

Does anyone have any contacts with anyone at Sega?

The company pressing the games for us suddenly had its legal department reverse gears and say that they will not press the games for us without someone from Sega talking with them. I sat on the phone with them explaining the legality of the production of new games using the KallistiOS system, and it seemed that the company lawyers once again understood until at the end they said that they still needed something in writing from Sega about it.

I've tried to obtain such a document from them in the past and have had no success. I would love to enlist any help that would be possible. Other possible people that could be contacted would be InterAct / MadCatz (makers of the GameShark), people at Accolade during the Sega Vs. Accolade decision... or really anyone else that you can think of.

If I can get _ANY_ help, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, it looks like the hunt for another new presser begins anew on Monday...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Dang, you guys are running into all sorts of trouble it seems.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

I do not know anyone working at those companies, but, I am guessing that there is no way to work with this current pressing company unless they change their minds, because I am doubtful that someone from Sega will say "Okay, go ahead!" in a cheerful manner... This is all so disheartening! :blinkeek:

I hope that additional funds were not lost again on these people... Are they allowed to suddenly change their part of the agreement lke that?

Nontheless; We are here for you, GOAT Store and JMD and S+F Software! :wink:
I will ask around to find out if I can determine any connections with employees that may be able to help, and continue to search for legal documents that may also be helpful...

:cowsleep:
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Have you tried contacting Dan Potter, to find out who he got to publish Feet of Fury?
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

didn't he get Goatdan to publish it?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Have you tried contacting Dan Potter, to find out who he got to publish Feet of Fury?
goatdan IS publishing FoF; he's talking about the company that pressed FoF.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

[oops]
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

Okay, here's the story (please bear with me...)

The place that did Feet of Fury (which yes, we did the pressing of and continue to do the distribution of) did a great job on the first game, but they weren't sure about a few things with it. We received the games and everything worked out just perfectly.

When we sent them Maqiupai and Inhabitants, they ran into the same problems as the first time. I signed off on their production just like we did the first time, but they didn't work. Because of the fact that I signed off on them, they weren't guaranteed to work. On the other hand, I talked back and forth with them about possible solutions and they worked on some stuff until the end of July when we mutually decided that we had to get these done, and we couldn't risk another pressing of games that didn't work.

We found a second presser that we thought would be able to do it. They agreed to everything and had given me a schedule. We were putting the finishing touches on the games for submittal and suddenly they stopped talking with me completely. Every time I called, the person I was supposed to speak with was too busy or in a meeting. I didn't get any returned emails. Finally, after two weeks of this I told the person that I would wait. At that time, the person who was with our account told her that they had decided not to do our projects two weeks ago and I should stop calling. I wrote a very nasty letter to them about how irresponsible it was for them to put someone on hold like that, and that got the guy to respond in some BS way about how they had to be careful because they were too big to not be careful. I told him that was fine, but that if I had received a phone call or email it would have been a lot nicer.

The third place I got on the phone that day. It was early September when this happened. I talked with someone there for about an hour about what the games were, how it was legal, etc. He agreed in principal to do the games. He also promised to look at the other games and see what was wrong, as well as guarnatee the games worked. We thought we were in good shape.

We submitted the games for pressing about a week ago now. Everything looked on track, and suddenly their lawyer says they can't do it without proof that we have a license from Sega. I spoke with her and my contact for well over an hour today, and explained everything from the legal cases that prove we can do this to explaining how stuff was made. She sounded like she was understanding for most of it, and asked to make sure that the paper copies dissassociate themselves with Sega, which they do. Then, at the end she said, "All this is nice, but I won't do it without something from Sega."

My contact, who is luckily for us a very cool guy unlike the last company, is going to finish compatibility testing and that stuff and send me the reports so even if we have to move to another company, the games will be ready to go.

I'm hoping that I can find someone that can put me into contact with someone at Sega that will say that they won't sue or whatever (not like they even would have a case if they wanted too). If this lawyer is able to get us anything from Sega (regardless of what) I have already been promised that I will get a copy of it for free. I've personally attempted communication with Sega before (I wouldn't mind *paying* Sega for the right to use the Dreamcast logo for instance!) but their only reply has been a form letter that states that they no longer support the Dreamcast. That's why I'd love to get into contact with a real person there. I'm hoping that I can somehow find someone that can do that.

In the more realistic scenario that we'll end up somewhere else, I'm going to start looking tomorrow. If it comes to it, we'll get CD-R's with the art screened on them and just burn the damn games. Trust me when I say that I want to get this finished so bad. I'm really at my wits end with this whole process, and I really want to find a company that has a lawyer with a head on their shoulders that can understand law and that has a pressing department that is halfway competent. We've started to get games lined up for release in the near future, but without a place to press, we're not in good hands.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be as honest as I can be with everything, as always.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Its a real shame, do Lik Sang have any more stroke with Sega?

In my opinion its gettting to that time where maybe its just best to burn CDS yourself and sell them on, as long as the product looks professional and plays the same using good quality CDR i cant see a problem.

Its a real annoying situation.
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
thedeftonesrule
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by thedeftonesrule »

sounds like a lot of personal networking and social engenieering. Try contacting any companys that have made game for sega in the past like ea or acclaim. They might be able to help you contact thier hr department or your might build enough interest in your product that someone at sega desides to call you. sounds far fetched but freelancers need to network to gett there next gig. gotta follow that trail !
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

WRAGGSTER wrote:Its a real shame, do Lik Sang have any more stroke with Sega?
I don't really think so. The last thing that I know happened between the two was Sega suing over the sale of the Treamcast.

Probably not on the best of terms. :|
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

goatdan wrote:
WRAGGSTER wrote:Its a real shame, do Lik Sang have any more stroke with Sega?
I don't really think so. The last thing that I know happened between the two was Sega suing over the sale of the Treamcast.

Probably not on the best of terms. :|
Was that what happened? I thought that Lik Sang had asked Sega about that console, and Sega asked/told them not to carry it. I didn't think there was any legal action taken, because both sides handled it diplomatically. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought happened.

At any rate, I would imagine somebody at Lik Sang might be able to suggest a person at Sega to contact.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

That's what I heard, although I can still contact them on it. Thanks for the idea :)
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Perhaps Rand might have some insight on this? have you tried PMing him?

I'm sure you've seen these but:
http://sega.com/corporate/corporate.php ... te_contact

If you send a Next Day Express Mail package with your company information, and finished (burned) versions of the games with cases/artwork (and maybe a finished copy of FoF for reference?), you will be much more likely to garner a response than via e-mail. But give them plenty of ways to respond back, including your e-mail or messenger addresses.
SeGaFrEaK NL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SeGaFrEaK NL »

That's always the problem with big companies, they're way too hard to get PERSONAL contact. You should read some of the correspondation between me and S.O.E. The people answering the emails just keep giving formal answers untill you get completely pissed off and will think 'FINE THEN DON'T ANSWER WHAT IM ASKING YOU' and will stop trying altogether.

If SEGA actually talked with some DC gamers, we would have player run servers, official homebrews and what not. Instead they go for the 'Don't care, don't bother contacting us' attitude, which bugs me. Although I do have to say, they aren't as sad as Nintendo or Sony.

Success!
bramenjam
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by bramenjam »

Why don't you try calling them. I'm sure the receptionist will forward you to the legal department if you sound professional, and not like an overactive fanboy. Mention your company name for instance.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

they would never do this, no matter what way you contact them. Even if you ring they will say they will call back but never will. its not in their interest, they having to gain and everything to loose.

In short, it would be a waste of their time.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

impetus wrote:Perhaps Rand might have some insight on this? have you tried PMing him?

I'm sure you've seen these but:
http://sega.com/corporate/corporate.php ... te_contact

If you send a Next Day Express Mail package with your company information, and finished (burned) versions of the games with cases/artwork (and maybe a finished copy of FoF for reference?), you will be much more likely to garner a response than via e-mail. But give them plenty of ways to respond back, including your e-mail or messenger addresses.
These suggestions sound like the most reasonable ways to do it. Just try it, I think you'll get response :D

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Link
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Link »

Hi,

Goatdan, check your PMs :) I hope it helps.
Your Brother in the DCEmu Scene,
Link

DI Boot tutorial in this thread http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10602
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

goatdan if u use msn / icq / yahoo / irc or anything alike, i might be able to help you, pls send me your data via pm
ImageImage