3D game possible?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Dreamcastin2k2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3D game possible?

Post by Dreamcastin2k2 »

would it be possible to create a 3D free roam homebrewn game for the dreamcast?
never too late
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

If you knew how what you was doing Id guess it would be very possible
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Yea its very possible

http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5513

Check out this thread, were trying to get a team togethre to make a great homebrew DC game.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Dreamcastin2k2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcastin2k2 »

could we acctually make as dreamcast homebrewn game that would look on par with something such as sonic adventure?, i mean do we have the tools?
never too late
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

yes. learn C and OpenGl and you can create sonic adventure 3. though it would take a while to make, textures, programming, etc... but it is fully possible with KOS, thank Dan Potter.
Its been a while...
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Why dosent no-one make a game like this, i mean maybe not as great as sonic adv cos that would take AGES, but maybe a great game?
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

Dreamcastin2k2 wrote: could we acctually make as dreamcast homebrewn game that would look on par with something such as sonic adventure?, i mean do we have the tools?

Well I don't know if anyone's really benchmarked KOS's performance, but in the end, we know just about we need to know about how to send polygons to the PVR to draw the scene, so if a coder is capable of coming up with a good enough 3d engine, it should get about the same performance as something like Sonic Adventure.

Part of the ability of a game to perform well, though is a fusion between 3d engine and level design - A designer has to know how to make a scene look good without taxing the engine.

Realistically.. well, it's rather rare to come across a good homebrew game of nearly that magnitude. The closest thing you can see like that are total conversions mods for commercial games, and those games have the edge that the engine is already written and the development tools are already made, not to mention that even 'total' conversions usual borrow some of the assets from the commercial game.
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

heilophobe, is it really _THAT_ hard to do? i mean after one year of learning every aspect needed to make a game like that could it be done? because someone is bound to do it on dreamcast, even if its like 10 years gone.
Its been a while...
spag
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spag »

i thought the current homebrew libraries for dreamcast are very slow and somewhat useless?

also, doing all this stuff from scratch will be difficult since there are no 3d engines, level editors, etc. really available.

i'm putting stuff together with the quake stuff for dreamcast, but performance on that is pretty limited really (not the best 3d in the world). but still... some of this other full-blown 3d stuff you're talking about just doesn't seem feasible... yet...
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

spag: KOS are missing a few features but primarily it offers just about anything you'd need. Keep in mind that the Katana libs are very minimal themselves, providing some common services but primarily it's just a simple patching through to the hardware. It's not the library that's so important, it's using the hardware to its fullest.

radish: I'll answer that later. In short: one year is not long enough for any one person to learn 'all aspects' of making a game like Sonic Adventure. One career is barely long enough... that's why credit screens for video games go on for pages.