That Saturn emu.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
InternetAddict
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

That Saturn emu.

Post by InternetAddict »

Hey I was just wondering did Bluecrab ever get that to run a single saturn game or just the saturb system bios and cd player screen? And is he still working on it or has he given up just curious?
One day there will be a Sega CD Emulator on the Dreamcast I guarantee you.
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

since the saturn is really complex I would be surprised if you could get at least 15 FPS at the least.DC is powerful but not powerful enough to handle the full extent of the saturn.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: That Saturn emu.

Post by BlueCrab »

InternetAddict wrote:Hey I was just wondering did Bluecrab ever get that to run a single saturn game or just the saturb system bios and cd player screen? And is he still working on it or has he given up just curious?
Here I am to answer your questions:

1. The emulator yabause (which "That Saturn emu" (yabause-dc) is a port of) does not run any games yet, just the bios. So my port doesn't run any games yet.

2. I am still working on it. One of these days I'll get around to posting a 0.0.6 binary/source release.
since the saturn is really complex I would be surprised if you could get at least 15 FPS at the least.DC is powerful but not powerful enough to handle the full extent of the saturn.
But remember, The Saturn's main/sub processors are SuperH 2 processors. The Dreamcast uses a SuperH 4. Some things will be able to be executed directly (after some byteswapping). Not sure how much this will help speed, but it should help a lot when I get that far (to writing a dynarec).
InternetAddict
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by InternetAddict »

ok cool, saturn I still can't believe it
One day there will be a Sega CD Emulator on the Dreamcast I guarantee you.
sappel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sappel »

I am not expecting anything higher than 1-5 FPS in a game, dont forget the 2 graphic chips the Saturn got.
If you just only get the 2D chip to work I would be damn happy

good luck on the project
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Err, the Saturn VPUs don't work like you think they do. You need both VPUs to get 2D games to work properly. It's not like "This is the 2D chip" and "This is the 3D chip". The chip that does sprites does polygons too.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Saturn was just as powerfull with 3d as 2d common thought by people it was not a 3d console but it's not correct at all.

Just does not work like that it's a 3d console 2d works well because the developers knew what they were doing. 3d power was not really used as it was hard to get the most of real shame as it's quiet a powerfull machine.People allways belittling it with it's a 2d console.

Just the other day! i seen some one say! the saturn cant do transpernt grafix and effects thats a lie or miss informed. Quiet capable of doing all that and more.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Yes it can do all that but its harder much harder than to do those on PSX.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Still yeah much harder or did just cost to much to train the people, how to use it. Still it left people with the wrong impression of the saturn and it's a darn shame.

Over and over i say it cant do 3d or this or that. AND it Should be the programers could not learn or did not want to learn how to use dual cpus and did not want to spend the effort on geting the most out of it.

Ps2 was and is hard as well yet they bother with that. Just bad luck for sega i guess.
Dreamcast forever!!!
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

It certainly wasn't the easiest thing to code for in 3D, but it certainly could do 3D, and quite well at that. The best example that always sticks in my mind is the Shenmue Saturn beta. Those screenshots and videos are still impressive for a 32-bit machine.
sappel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sappel »

I was actually just pointing about 2D games, cause they are running waaaaaay faster than 3D games, 2D games get pretty good framerate on my 1Ghz system when playing it in girigiri, games like NiGHTS or Virtual On just go deadly slow.
I thought its a better idea to first focus on the 2D shit (if thats possible, I dunno how it works)

and is the yamaha sound chip of the saturn compatible with the one of the DC by the way
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

sappel wrote:I was actually just pointing about 2D games, cause they are running waaaaaay faster than 3D games, 2D games get pretty good framerate on my 1Ghz system when playing it in girigiri, games like NiGHTS or Virtual On just go deadly slow.
I thought its a better idea to first focus on the 2D poop (if thats possible, I dunno how it works)

and is the yamaha sound chip of the saturn compatible with the one of the DC by the way
2D games may not be as stressful on the hardware, but they're still hard to get emulated properly. As I said before, the chip that does sprites does polys too. The other VPU is for planes.

I have no idea how similar the audio chips are in the DC and Saturn, but I'm sure they're not "compatible". Plus the Saturn has a 68k as a part of its sound subsystem, and as I've said somewhere else, I don't know if you need accurate emulation of it for most games or not. You could always hope that the ARM (if you can figure out how to get more than its default few Mhz out of it) is fast enough to emulate an underclocked 68k via C68k or a similar optimized core. I know games like Grandia would need this, but I wouldn't hold any hopes that you'll get THAT working fully.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Correct background/playfield emulation will probably require software rendering, which would increase the load on the CPU. Saturn's VDP2 is an old-school arcade style playfield processor supporting per-layer hardware scrolling, palette magic, and other lovely stuff that modern 3D chips just aren't designed for. AFAIK it has no analog in any system of its generation or after (maybe PC-FX). Plus, emulating VDP1/VDP2 interactions accurately would likely be hell, although at least a few games forego taking much advantage of them since they're a pain in the ass in general.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Darth Revan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Darth Revan »

Hey, just wondering, but why didn't you port cassini? I mean, its open source, as well as it works pretty well (most good games run flawlessly). Sorry if this post is rude :oops:
Its not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
frogcoin
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by frogcoin »

because cassini it's not a legal open source of giri giri yet. :|

at least that's what i heard :mrgreen:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Darth Revan wrote:Hey, just wondering, but why didn't you port cassini? I mean, its open source, as well as it works pretty well (most good games run flawlessly). Sorry if this post is rude :oops:
A) It's not open source.
2) It's an illegal hack of GiriGiri
III) It is not a portable thing, designed specifically for speed on a PC.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Darth Revan wrote:Hey, just wondering, but why didn't you port cassini? I mean, its open source, as well as it works pretty well (most good games run flawlessly). Sorry if this post is rude :oops:
I'll just add to what quzar has already stated:
iv) The "source" of cassini is AFAIK a hunk of useless x86 assembler.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

i was gonna put that under A but i figured if the person didnt know any of these things they wouldnt understand that too well... :P
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Darth Revan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Darth Revan »

Sorry =) I understand, thanks for the explanation
Its not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Darth Revan wrote:Sorry =) I understand, thanks for the explanation
No problem.