what systems does scumm games emulate?plus 2 more questions

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
diding
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what systems does scumm games emulate?plus 2 more questions

Post by diding »

what game systems does scummv allow you to play?
how do i exit super famicast?(to menu page)
does european versions of snes roms give any speed difference when using dreamsnes?

p.s. forgive my ignorance:)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

ScummVM is an interpreter. It allows you to play classic Lucasarts point-and-click games like Monkey Island, Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle.

I don't know how to exit in SuperFamicast, sorry.

I'm fairly certain European ROMs will run at whatever speed they were programmed to. More often than not, this is 5/6ths the speed on an NTSC version.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Super Famicast readme wrote: During gameplay, the main menu can be reached by simultaneously pressing
Analog-Left and START. The in-game menu is Analog-Left and Y. If you have
the controllers configured to use the analog stick for SNES input, then
use D-Pad-Left instead.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Ahh, the most illusive member of DCE, the much-fabled Super Famicast readme.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Darth Revan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Darth Revan »

:lol: so I need the monkey Island disc for pc to play it? cool, I have, now, how does it run?
Its not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

I'd assume you'd have to switch discs as soon as ScummVM boots up.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

:o Az, would that work on Seiara games by chance? Also how is the saving.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Orange_Ribbon wrote::o Az, would that work on Seiara games by chance? Also how is the saving.
I think FreeSCI takes care of the Sierra end. And saves can get pretty big, if you ask me. They work great, though.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Orange_Ribbon wrote::o Az, would that work on Seiara games by chance? Also how is the saving.
As far as I can remember, it saves just fine.

There is a seperate interpreter available for Sierra games: FreeSCI.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

:o Oh my, I am just finding this out now!!! :o Are the saves Large? Hot damn, is there a list of games that are compadible? That is freaking great. Can I also use a mouse?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

There's a ScummVM compatibility list available, showing which games work and to what degree they work. I think a few of those don't like working on the Dreamcast with it's restrictive RAM - I think Sam and Max is one of them. I'm not too sure how big the saves are, because the last time I used it on the Dreamcast I couldn't figure out how to stop it locking up with a game I was playing. A few more releases have been made since them, but I never actually got around to trying it out with a newer version :|.

There's also a FreeSCI compatibility list, but it just appears blank to me. DCHomebrew reckons it is compatible with most games, though.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

az_bont wrote:There's a ScummVM compatibility list available, showing which games work and to what degree they work. I think a few of those don't like working on the Dreamcast with it's restrictive RAM - I think Sam and Max is one of them.
Sam and Max works great on the Dreamcast. It's SCUMM v6. Scumm v7 and above games don't work great. (Full Throttle, The Dig, Curse of Monkey Island). Broken Sword 1 and 2 also are not playable due to RAM restrictions.

Also, Flight of the Amazon Queen doesn't work (it was completable in an CVS build, but it resets the DC after the hotel scene at present).

Every thing other than those 6 games should work exactly like they do on the PC (minus some slight sound skipping which is inevitable with a CD-loading system - but it's really not that bad - only about a half a second or so, and doesn't occur often).
az_bont wrote:I'm not too sure how big the saves are, because the last time I used it on the Dreamcast I couldn't figure out how to stop it locking up with a game I was playing. A few more releases have been made since them, but I never actually got around to trying it out with a newer version :|.
It shouldn't lock up your game. It's never done that for me. What version did you play? Was it an old one (0.5.0 or below)? - ScummVM DC is a lot more stable nowadays.

The saves aren't that large - they only take a couple of blocks for each game/saveslot. It also autosaves, which is sometimes a tad annoying - so keep that in mind when making room on the VMU. (there's no way to disable autosave ATM, but Marcus said that feature was planned IIRC)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I can't remember what version it was. I was playing Day of the Tentacle, and whenever I pressed the Start button to progress the intro sequences, it would just freeze. No other button would do anything.

Like I said, it's been a while - I'd say this was probably a year ago at least. I think it was a 0.4.x version, so I guess I should probably get a newer version and give that a go :oops:.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Sam and Max works fine... in the old versions I remember it crahsed on me once... lucky I saved... but then when a newer version came out, it didn't have the same prob... I played it all the way through continuisly... However, Full Throttle has always done it... which is annoying, cause I love that game.

Yeah, the FreeSCI site seems to be having some probs. Also, don't forget about the SarianDC emu... that can play the older Sierra games that FreeSCI can't. you can get it from http://www.ganksoft.com
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

BaldMonk wrote:Yeah, the FreeSCI site seems to be having some probs.
Yeah, we switched to a new design a while back and there's still some empty pages, broken links etc.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

can someone help me put the freeware BASS release (cd, not floppy) on scummvm's page onto a dreaminducer disc?
i want to make a sbi for it but i dunno where to put the sky.dnr and sky.dsk files, in the root or any folder?
also, i have the plain files for v0.5 and it contains some png and dxi files in a folder estructure, some sort of start menu. can i use it in my sbi? how?
thanks
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I believe there is a premade image of BASS on DCEvo. It's already put together with the freeware version of BASS, and the last version of Scumm.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Sorry to be bumping this old topic, but i didn't wanna start another with the same questions.
I would like to know what the current status on the newer builds, like that wich runs broken sword 2.
I have some games: Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, I.J. and the Last Crusade, Mokey Island 1&2, Day of Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max, and some others. Is MetaFox who mantain some sort of benchmark for scumm games?
Also i have some games and i would like to know if i can put several games on one disc, separated by folders.
As i can see my win32 SCUMMVM version has a scumm.ini with relative paths to all the games i have in my PC (i organize them in folders) would be cool to use anything like this on DC and have a menu to chose what to play.
Please, see that althought i made some questions here, i'd never got to burn any scumm yet, and want to get things right before start.
Thanks
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

DCmad wrote:Sorry to be bumping this old topic, but i didn't wanna start another with the same questions.
I would like to know what the current status on the newer builds, like that wich runs broken sword 2.
Beneath a Steel Sky:

Fully playable and completable. It now has music.

Flight of the Amazon Queen:

Fully playable and completable. The bug where the cursor didn't move in the menu has been fixed. The bug where the ending crashed before it completed has been fixed as well.

Maniac Mansion (original)
Maniac Mansion (enhanced)
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (original)
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (enhanced)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (256)
Loom
The Secret of Monkey Island (EGA)
Loom (256 color CD version)
The Secret of Monkey Island (VGA Floppy)
The Secret of Monkey Island (VGA CD)
The Secret of Monkey Island (Alternative VGA CD)
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge
Indiana Jones 4 and the Fate of Atlantis
Day Of The Tentacle
Sam & Max

Fully playable and completable.

The talkie versions of the games sometimes have skips or hesitations in speech, but it's only for a half-second at most, and doesn't deter from the gameplay. This is due to the games having to be prebuffered to memory to play respectably, as they have to stream from the CD. It's unavoidable due to Dreamcast's low amount of memory. The only way to get around it would be to have an external storage device such as a zip drive, a hard drive, or the planned GP32 link SMC storage solution.

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (FM-TOWNS)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (FM-TOWNS)
Loom (FM-TOWNS)
Indiana Jones 4 and the Fate of Atlantis (FM-TOWNS)

The FM-TOWNS games are fully playable and completable, but make sure that you play them on a large screen television or computer monitor, as they aren't aligned properly for smaller television sets.

Full Throttle

You have to skip the crash scene with the reporter with ESC, and the first scene with the police cruisers at the gas tower with ESC as they freeze the Dreamcast before completion of the scenes. It's playable up until the Flight Of The Valkaries bunny scene, then it resets the Dreamcast.

The Dig
Curse of Monkey Island

Way too sluggish to be playable
Is MetaFox who mantain some sort of benchmark for scumm games?
Yeah - I'm working on adding my old LucasArts fanpage to DreamOn with compatibility and issues for all ScummVM games, as well as the Sierra Sarien and FreeSCI games.
Also i have some games and i would like to know if i can put several games on one disc, separated by folders.
Yeah, ScummVM for Dreamcast's GUI searches the disc for the games in folders on the disc and displays them all on the menu.
As i can see my win32 SCUMMVM version has a scumm.ini with relative paths to all the games i have in my PC (i organize them in folders) would be cool to use anything like this on DC and have a menu to chose what to play.
INI support isn't available on the Dreamcast version. You don't really need to have an INI on the DC version anyway, as the program does a good job of finding what it needs and putting it up on it's custom menu on it's own.

Oh, and as for the other non Scumm games supported by ScummVM (that I've tested at least):

Simon the Sorcerer 1 + 2 "talkie" - fully playable and completable

Broken Sword 2 (only the sold out version detects properly on the Dreamcast version) - cutscene videos not supported. Must turn off either music or speech for it to be enjoyable. Does not have enough memory to get past the three cutscenes after leaving France on the first disc. I haven't tried it with just the sword2.plg plugin enabled.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Than you very much, MetaFox.
Don't you agree this should be stickyed anywhere? Well if you plan on adding this chart on Dream-On, it should be enough.
Very good info indeed.