Dreamcast Coders Cables Illegal Due to DMCA?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Coders Cables Illegal Due to DMCA?

Post by Schnapple »

Read this story:

http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mcmillen/dmca

There's also the Slashdot take here:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/0 ... at&tid=123

Thoughts?
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

Right now Lik Sang isn't offering UPS as a shipping option. I have the feeling UPS is intentionally refusing to deliver items to avoid trouble in the future, or possibly some game company or another file a complaint with UPS directly instead of US Customs.

So it might not be that they're illegal under the DMCA (it's a SERIAL CABLE after all), but rather, UPS is trying to avoid DMCA problems in the future, and lumped in the cable with mod chips and the like as suspect products. They might have begun refusing shipments from Lik Sang altogether.
Lilmuckers
Resident Transvestite
Resident Transvestite

Post by Lilmuckers »

yeah, i been following that on the DC-DEV mailing list

it sucks

and the EU will impliment the same law 'cos this is "oo, get on america's good side or they'll bomb the shit out of us" mentality
http://www.Spider-Console.co.uk
the ONLY place to leave
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Damn i hate the way everyone loves America ove here. No offence ment to any Americans its just i hate the way girls wear American flags in Britain and $hit like tha.

I hate they way that Lilmuckers is right!!!! It is exactly be friends with America, Theyre so much bigga!

NO OFFENCE MENT (i say it again just in case)
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Lilmuckers
Resident Transvestite
Resident Transvestite

Post by Lilmuckers »

i know

i hate the way i'm right too
the ONLY place to leave
UmamaBinRotten
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by UmamaBinRotten »

I understand how you're both blaming Europe for failing to govern itself, which is true in some ways due to US influences, but at the same time, you're using the United States as the scapegoat. It's like saying "Gee, if there wasn't a United States we'd no longer have these problems."

Now I suspect you both dig the US socially, just not politically(John Ashcroft policies anyone?), correct? I can certainly agree with that in many ways myself. What bothers me is that people overseas have this preconceived notion that the US is against the world. "They're too powerful and push us around." "They're all self righteous." "They have way too much money." Perhaps those who dislike America would prefer it do without Capitalism and become... Communist? Even better, if we could go back in time we could let the German's win WWII -- I mean, wouldn't the world be so much better under King Adolf the III's rule? Or, what if the Soviet's won the Cold War -- think the girls in Britain would be sporting the latest trends in U.S.S.R-wear? Ok, these are extreme ideas, but all were once within the realm of possibility. In fact, you two UK blokes know all too well of what your ancesters had to deal with in WWII.

If we were to do a poll of what the average anti-American hated about America, the items below would probably rank among the highest:

- Microsoft
- Intel
- AOL Time Warner
- Coca Cola
- McDonalds
- Gary Coleman

Ironically, those that are doing much of the complaining are probably sitting at their WINtel machines right now with half empty Coke cans scattered across their desks, gobbling down a Big Mac, while at the same time msging their friends on AOL IM about how much America is screwing them over.

And why did I mention Gary Coleman? I have no frickin clue. He just rules.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Full story from http://www.consolevision.com

It appears that recently while ordering a DC Coders Cable from overseas company Lik-Sang, US customs recently rejected shipments due to "copyright violations". A coder named Colin McMillen posted the ordeal he's going through at his site, and more information can be found at this news story.

This brings up some major issues when it comes to dreamcast homebrew coding. For those that don't know, the coders cable provides a simple serial communications between the PC and DC (nearly always used for easily testing DC developed applications, hence the name). Most of the staff here at Consolevision owns a coder cable, and until now, i've never heard of anyone who ordered having any issues. I've heard rumors of the occassional GBA backup-units and such being seized, but nothing as absurd as a DC coders cable..

John Goggan (aka The Gypsy), who knows the Lik-Sang well (he visited them after winning y2kode) recently posted this update on the DCdev ML:

"Just so people know, here is the situation with Lik-Sang... Customs recently started checking ALL of Lik-Sang's shipments to the US (under the guise of trying to stop any NEO4s from coming in -- even though Lik-Sang immediately stopped shipping them when they were announced as being against the DMCA). They were denying coder's cables, gameboy wormlights, everything. Basically, it looks like they were too lazy to hand-check the packages and just refused almost all of them going from Lik-Sang into the US via UPS. They also did not inform Lik-Sang of this until 3 days after they started denying them -- so a bunch were refused without Lik-Sang's knowledge. They heard from an engineer in the US that was waiting for a USB connector sample from Lik-Sang that tried to call customs and explain that they parcel they had stopped had nothing to do with the DMCA. They told him that they are "CERTAIN that they know what kinds of goods that Lik-Sang are shipping." Bah. Idiots. Note that Lik-Sang has STILL not received their packages BACK yet. In any case, Lik-Sang has now worked out their issues with UPS and will begin shipping with them again very soon. Basically, it looks like UPS is doing all they can to help Lik-Sang get around custom's evil tactics now. heh. They have changed to EMS Speedpost temporarily for shipments to the USA, but said that UPS will be back as their primary shipping method for the USA by the end of the month (note that some of that delay is due to Lik-Sang moving to a new warehouse in HK -- not just the customs issues). Just wanted to clear that up. Some guys at Lik-Sang are friends of mine, so I asked them what was up -- and passed it along to you all."

This is an interesting situation for the homebrew scene, and really thrusts it into the spotlight.. we'll keep you informed as things develop.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Umamabinrotten, im sorry if thats how i came across to you.

The only thing i dont like is the way the US flag is a fashion accessory over here and theres no UK flags anywhere, I have nothing against any Americans and i dont think theyre all like this or that. In fact half my family is from America.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
loosecannon88
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by loosecannon88 »

:evil: These DMCA ppl are really getting out of hand. It's almost as if they are above the frickin law. I have been on board over at ANTI-DMCA for a while now, trying to spread the word around my college. Maybe this is a great chance for all the DCers to come together and snuff out this madness!!!! :twisted:
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Im already onboard!

Come on all, help us stop them.Did u kno theyre trying to make MP3's illegal? They want software on every computer that tells the police if u d/l mp3's mpeg's etc.
Yocke
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Yocke »

How cool is that! Where can I get that software? I wanna turn myself in right now!
Lilmuckers
Resident Transvestite
Resident Transvestite

Post by Lilmuckers »

i'm not anti-american, if anything i'm PRO american

i wanna live in NY, walk down broadway, climb a big building.
already done all that

but i wanna live there

but thats beside the point

the main thing i resent about America is that "we will not drop our pollution output" crap.

everyone has to do it's part

and then pulling out of the nuclear missile treaty.

i'm not a dope smoking hippy, but i'm not to crazy about those ideals

i suppose what i resent mostly is the
"ooo, lets all try to join the US gang, yeah yeah yeah, gotta sleep with the US, yeah yeah yeah"

and tony blair (AKA dickwad) being bush / clintons lapdog!
the ONLY place to leave
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

E X A C T L Y
JustinVisible
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JustinVisible »

Thats pretty strange that all the girls in England are wearing the american flag, over here lotsa the girls at my school wear your guy's english flag :lol:
It doesn't really matter I mean I like my country and all but I can't stand our system of government and no other country seems to have a better one so I guess I'm stuck :|
BurgerKing-Where Ca$h is King
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

I work at UPS... I havent heard anything about this through the company...
Of course I'm in Indianapolis. Not Louisville which is where the packages are supposedly being held. This also isnt something they'd want word of being spread through the company. I might look up the slashdot article,
print it up, and post it on a bullitin board or two at work.

Yeah... british flags have been popular (off and on) over here since the 60s (if not a bit earlier)

I just happened to just have a conversation with someone in the about our (United States) government. (who is in the military of all things)

We agreed that we dont like the way our government is handles itself.
Lots of its laws are dumb, misinterpreted, or abused. I think this is a case of abusing a misinterpretation.

They want to incourage international trade... but stop packages and refuse to let them be sent back to their origin. Making not only our 'free trade' look bad but also hurting an american company in the process (UPS)

I havent voted... ever...
My reason for not participating in the democratic process is that its always a choice of the lesser of two evils. You must choose whos agenda, big busness backers, and ability to lie is 'not as bad as bad as the other guys' And no matter who 'wins' its still not the best choice. Besides the fact most politicions completely change their agenda once in office... basicly making their whole 'campain' into a lie. Did Clinton mention anything like the DMCA while running for office eather time?

In the case of the president... why would someone spend millions of dollars to run for an office that pays $200,000 a year? To set the new laws, influance busnesses (and make money from the businesses that influance him), be on tv lots and represent America... But it also makes you instantly disliked by a good portion of the worlds population (including many Americans) Oh and as President he can have a sex scandal with a cigar or be front page news for choking on a pretzel.

Something to note... if your super rich and you want something changed in america talk to the president and/or congress. They'll help you out if you make sure its 'worth it' for them.

I could go on and on about problems with America that Ive seen first hand as an American citizen... The actual topic of this thread is just one small part that is overflowing into effecting other parts of the world.

basicly...
I'm not proud to be an American...
Sure I understand that America is supposedly a great/andvanced country... but it's got serious problems. Not saying I wanna go live in somalia or something... but I dont want to be condemned by people simply because I live here. I have nothing to do with the government. I dont make the decisions. I also have nothing to do with the popular american culture that is shown to the world. Most of us arent actually like that.

Pop music is mostly listened to by little/teenage girls...
MTV is aimed at 12-18 year olds... (though most of their shows feature 18-30 year olds)
Wrestling is nothing but a big simi fake (yes some parts are real) soap opera... most americans realize that and change the channel.
Our TV shows are 90% crap... for kids, teenagers, and OLD people.
Blacks are not the angry thugs selling crack so often shown on tv. (maybe 2% are)
Whites are not all snooty rich people with a better then tho additude (maybe 3% are)
Whites are not inbread racist hillbillys who want to drink beer and shoot guns while driving in their truck. (maybe 10% are/do one of the things mentioned... 30% or more do drink beer regularly. I dont drink)
We're not all doing drugs.
We're not all hippys, surfers, gang bangers, or work on wall street.
We're not all 'Football' fans
"America's Pasttime" is NOT baseball. (its 'football' and/or basketball)

The hispanic population is growing very quickly... I wouldnt be surprised if we have dual language road signs in my lifetime.

Big busness is what controls what the rest of the world sees... I know some of them realize the 'americans are idiots' mentality some cultures show... and show them what they expect. Exploiting a wrong opinion for profit.

Most of us are actually just like everyone else in the world. We go to school and/or work and try to make ends meet and put food on the table. We want a house to live in... a good safe schools for our kids... and want to buy a few things to brighten our daily lives.

[Edit- Long rant nicely trimmed out... Left a lot but removed the worst.]

I hated how Bush kept saying "this isnt a religous war... its a war on terrorist" then turning around and saying "God bless America" God? isnt that religon? Isn't saying God bless America praying for god to help us? Isnt that kinda like saying 'My god is better then your god. He's going to help us win"? See how some other contries/religions may interpret that as a religious war?

Man... I really went on a ramble... way off topic...
Oh yeah... and all americans arent like me...

Yep... I'm going to get flamed :P
Last edited by TheDumbAss on Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
snake78
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by snake78 »

No, ya ain't gonna get flamed, not by me anyway. I don't fully agree with our gov't either, but I disagree with you about pop music.

Yes, maybe today's pop music is aimed at little girls (backstreet boys, n'sync, and all the other bullsh*t), but there is still pop music that is good. Music is my favorite thing in the world. Even more than video games. Seek out the best pop music and you won't be displeased. Seek out some Tenacious D, or the Beatles, or the 13th Floor Elevators, or the Standells, or the Bob Seger System, or Bob Dylan, or the E Street Band, and you'll see what I mean. I love music. Even if there is plenty of sh*t on MTV and the radio. Just don't listen to the radio. And don't tune in to MTV. Turn to the internet, and the newsgroups and the classic rock radio stations. Listen to what music should sound like. I'm trashed off my ass so sorry for ramblin'.

I'm still proud to be an American, even if that means that I have to support our cokehead of a president. Even if that means that I disagree with some or most of the laws that we have here. I have a right to disagree and dammit I will. Sh*t, I'm wasted.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Think I might edit down my last post a bit... Bit much there...

I am a music lover... But what I consider pop is whats currently 'big' main stream top 40... etc. Britney, N'Sync, etc... Some rapers, um... limp bizket... few others. There are a bunch of bands that have a song or two that are popular to pop people. But mainly I'm talking about the ones that are always there...

Beatles are good... I grew up listing to my parents old LPs lots of beatles in there.

Currently on my desk.
Beasty Boys - Licensed to Ill and the Rood Down EP.
Groove Armada - Back To Mine
ani defranco - not so soft
edith piaf - best of...
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
tribe called quest - Beats, Rhymes and life
Portishead - Dummy
and my bjork mp3 collection (original cd's safely in storage)

Not going to list all the music I got in my house. I'll just say I own my parents several hunderd albums and probibly 300 or so cds I've collected... admitidly some (25cds or so) of that music is crap... but most is good and crosses a wide range.

Whats bad is (after reading up on DMCA) I realized I could very easily get put in jail for most all of the ones on my desk... They are all original cds with their original cases. (except the bjork obviously but originals are less than 30ft away)

The reason why it may be illegal is because I borrowed most of the cds from the library. They are mine to use for 3 weeks then I have to give them back. It could be considered renting or public performance... which is illegal unless authorized. Are the librarys authorized to do that automaticly? Are cds allowed/disallowed on a case by case bases? My library actually has a Nine Inch Nails live bootleg (Self Distruction Men) in distribution. You know thats illegal. I borrowed it... did I break the law or did they?

Could a car with a loud stereo system on a crowded street be considered unauthorized public performance?

Something more direct to dcemu...

http://www.anti-dmca.com/riaa-spin-control.html

According to the first letter it seems it's illegal to post information on how to bypass copy protection. Booting anything on dreamcast requires bypassing the copy protection. hmm... but wouldnt this be contridictory to what was said in the Sega vs Accolade case? It goes so far as to say bootcode can be reverse engineered... and goes so far as to say if absolutely required copyrighted code can be used.

Anti-DMCA is interesting...

My "I'm not proud to be an American... " rant is more about I'm just me... judge me for that. I have nothing to do with what my country is and does. I'm just here doing what I need to so I can survive.

I think that rant was also influanced by the fact a girl I know from here in the U.S. who lives in Australia currently was having some surgery done. I was probibly a bit afraid the doctors may not work as hard if anything bad happens simply because she's an American.

She's home and ok now though :)
Last edited by TheDumbAss on Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
snake78
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by snake78 »

Well, now that I'm sobering up a bit, I have to admit that I agree with you, that the state of pop music nowadays is appauling. What passes for music these days is disgusting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that old (23), I discovered the beatles through my parents as well, though I'm a bigger fan than my parents ever were. If you want some excellent music from recent times, definitely check out Tenacious D, what they're doing is fantastic (even if it is with a bit of a comical twist). I'm glad to hear that your chick is ok. It sucks that you would even have to fear that someone would intentionally not help someone based on their country of origin (or race, or something equally superficial), but I'm glad to hear that all is ok.

ok, I gotta go to bed.
Aurora
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Aurora »

TheDumbAss wrote:

and my bjork mp3 collection (original cd's safely in storage)
You are a smart man :)
Back it up.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

WHY THE HECK DID YOU BUMP THIS UP ?

EXPLAIN.