How do you name your NES Roms?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
zemus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by zemus »

I was wondering how everyone names their nes roms for use with nesterdc. I had decided on making the names all lowercase, without spaces, and using numbers to designate versions--basically running everything together. But as I've added a good number of japanese roms, running the names together looks particularly odd, so I'm wondering if i should go back and add underscores to separate words out. About 9/10's of my japanese roms currently have underscores, with a few early ones that are run together. Also, I was originally designating english translated roms with an _e at the end (prior to .nes or .fds).

Thoughts?
--Zemus
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

I just let GoodNES do whatever it wants to my filenames ;)
zemus wrote: I was wondering how everyone names their nes roms for use with nesterdc. I had decided on making the names all lowercase, without spaces, and using numbers to designate versions--basically running everything together. But as I've added a good number of japanese roms, running the names together looks particularly odd, so I'm wondering if i should go back and add underscores to separate words out. About 9/10's of my japanese roms currently have underscores, with a few early ones that are run together. Also, I was originally designating english translated roms with an _e at the end (prior to .nes or .fds).

Thoughts?
zemus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by zemus »

I've thought about using GoodNES--read a little on it. I'm not exactly sure how it will rename my roms, and my main concern is with how they look within the nesterdc rom selection list. I'm just trying to make it look as neat as possible. GoodNES also check to see if the roms are corrupt or not, is that correct? Is there any way to run the corruption check without the renaming?
--Zemus
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

and my main concern is with how they look within the nesterdc rom selection list
Well, kinda bad really. For example

Super Mario Bros (U) (H1).nes

comes out as

SUPER_MARIO_BROS__U___H1_.NES

Spaces and parenthesis are converted to underscores. Not a big deal, except at the end where the length might cause the file name to go off the end of the screen, leaving you wondering which ROM variant you're picking.

One way around this is to use Renamer 3.3 after GoodNES to remove the (U) or (H1) or whatever parameters. If you do this however then you might wind up with multiple files named the same thing (not allowed) so be sure to find what ROMs you really want. For example, if you don't want hacked ROMs, you could remove ROMs with a (Hx) in the name, and keep the ones that have a (!) in them. Keep the ones with (U), since this eliminates Japanese ROMs.
GoodNES also check to see if the roms are corrupt or not, is that correct?
What GoodNES does is it checks the checksum of the ROM. If the checksum matches one in the database then it renames it to that (assuming of course no two ROMs have the same checksum, which is pretty much impossible). If GoodNES doesn't rename a ROM then either the ROM is bad/corrupt or it's simply not in the database yet (more of a problem with GBA roms than with NES roms).
zemus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by zemus »

Cool, thanks for the info on GoodNES.
--Zemus
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Schnapple wrote: Well, kinda bad really. For example
Super Mario Bros (U) (H1).nes
comes out as
SUPER_MARIO_BROS__U___H1_.NES
Yeah, I don't like that but its no biggie. Is there a tool that will replace underscores with spaces and vice versa? (Just in case, No I am not talking about the appearance on a DC emulator, I am referring to the rom filename itself.)
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
mr. darkness
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by mr. darkness »

I have spaces and "(" in my filenames.
Just add the parameter -U if you are using mkisofs.
Really simple actually.
and works fine in nester...
adidan
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Nester can handle it

Post by adidan »

Yeah, Mr. Darkness is right, Tekezo has provided all the accomodations, infact, what I've done is gotten rid of the *.nes on all my games, as long as you have atleast one dummy file it still finds them, you can just make a "Nester-DC 5.nes" file that's empty and include all your roms without the *.nes (To rename all your roms easily just open a DOS prompt (if you're using windows) and then type "rename *.nes *" that'll handle it. When using mkisofs to make your image add the "-R" parameter(rockridge file information) and Nester-DC will use that for your rom names. Before, RockRidge caused problems with some games ("Battletoads Double Dragon" loaded the "Battletoads" Rom) but Tekezo has already fixed that problem in the latest version. And now that you can make directories the organization/appearance of your games can be quite appealing! :lol:
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

on a similar subject... does anyone know of any dcprogs anymore that will not support long filenames with weird characters/lowercase/spaces... i dont mean those that dont display the names properly, but are there any that wont work with them? i know there used to be a few which is why i had mkisofs rename things (so i didnt get people saying dssbs doesnt work with "x program" just because their roms were made wrong...), but now it seems that at least all the "big name" emu's/app's have had their issues with filenames overcome, so maybe its time to remove that restriction???
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler »

this should be moved to the junk forum
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred