How long did it take you all..?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
emphyrian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How long did it take you all..?

Post by emphyrian »

...to get the hang of all this? I admit I only brought a Dreamcast earlier today but have been furiously scouring the net for emus and programs so that I can take advantage of it. I settled on trying to get Nester to work, followed the tutorial and burnt a disc. No luck. How many coasters will I have to go through and what typical things should I change so that I may have better luck next time?
Also, Ive a feeling that the dreamcast cannot read cd-rw's? This may have been one of my problems but I did write one normal cd so far and apon selecting the 'play disc' option, it flickered then reset itself.
Maximum newbie, I know. :oops: I will give it time but im in that excited mood at the moment and want to play some emu's!

Thanks,

Mike

P.s. Think I got a good deal but ive no idea what to do with the memory card thing. Does ity function on its own yeah? I paid ?18 for the console, 2 controllers, a mem card and sega rally.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

CD-RW won't work. It's possible to mod your DC to read them, but you run the risk of frying it if you don't know what you're doing.

We can probably help you get a working disc, but we need to know what you've tried so far in as great detail as you can remember so we can try to pinpoint the problem. We'll also need to know what software you're using. If you're using Nero, make sure you're not using version 6 because it doesn't work for this stuff. You can get Nero 5.5.x from http://www.oldversion.com if you need it.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Congratulations to your purchase :D

It's a nice thing that is!

Let's hope you'll get your problems burning NesterDC and all the other nice Homebrew/Emu stuff out of the way soon!
Insane homebrew collector.
emphyrian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by emphyrian »

Thanks guys.

I think all I did was to follow this http://dcemulation.org/files/emulators/NesterDC.exe, use the tutorial and create a nero image file which I burned with a version of nero from the oldversion site. I also tried to get discjuggler going but that nearly mangled my hard drive! :?

I need to get some more cds before I can do anything else really. I will let you know.

thanks again.

Mike
emphyrian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by emphyrian »

hmm, found a cd and tried again using Jimsnesboot. The cd was recognised as an audio cd but there was no music.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Dude, all I gotta say is "READ!" Everything you need to know is on this site. I read so many articles on how to burn emus for DC. Once I knew about everything, I then bought my DC. Now, I'm in the process of learning about Xbox emulation. I'm reading my ass off and getting to learn about the software and techniques needed before I buy my xbox.

Now, if you want to play NesterDC download and install Selfboot program and Nero 5.5 first. I read somethings online that nero 6.0 doesn't burn discs correctly. (If I'm wrong about this, please correct me.)

DL the NesterDC zip file that contains the Plain files in it and unzip the files into a new folder.

Make sure that "IP.bin" and "1st_read.bin" are in the root of that new folder.

Also, in that folder, make a new folder named "games." (not sure if it has to be called games but thats what i do) Place all your roms within the games folder.

Finally, run selfboot.exe and select that "new folder" you made, press ok, and select DOA (disk at once).

After a quick minute, you'll end up with a nero file in the selfboot folder. Double click on that file then burn it. Put your new CD in the DC and enjoy.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

emphyrian wrote:hmm, found a cd and tried again using Jimsnesboot. The cd was recognised as an audio cd but there was no music.
Thats odd. I've used Jimsnesboot also, and i never had a problem like that.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Check out some of the tutorials on DCStuff. The one called "How To Use Selfboot Inducer" may interest you.

It actually took me quite a while to get the hang of this. It took me a few weeks just to figure out that I couldn't use EasyCDCreator to burn the discs. Once I got the hang of it, though, I had it pretty much figured out, and could pretty much burn anything out there.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

Just curious but what's the manufactured date on your DC? The date is on the bottom on the sticker. There also should be a number in a circle. Anything before October 200 should be fine. Anything after is a hit or miss. Also I think DC's with the number 2 in a circle will not work.

Another possibility is that your DC cant read Audio/Data CDs and they need to by burn Data/Data (I doubt it cause Selfboot.exe uses Data/Data i believe.) Another possibility is that your burning has problems burning the images.

Basically Try to find out the questions I mentioned about your DC and what you burner model is and we see what we can do. :)
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Dont fret, I wasted a bunch of CD's before getting the hang of it, espcially SBI but once you get the hang of it, its great :D
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
emphyrian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by emphyrian »

Ok, thanks guys. I shall check the model etc out later, then try to head into town to pick up some preperation cds! :twisted:
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

burn mtf burn :wink:

Anyway I'd like to hear if you had success!
Insane homebrew collector.
emphyrian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by emphyrian »

Ok, my model seems to be in the 'will work' list in the compatable DC's section of the site.

Its..

de97xxxx
HKT-3030
670-14088C

Thats hopefully a plus. Still havnt managed to get any cds though yet so tommorow shall be that day. SAhame these things dont read Dvds as I have a whole cake of them. Chocolate, too. :wink:
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Check this out:

http://www.dcemulation.org/article-supported.htm

Looks like your safe

Oh and welcome, good idea on buying a DC, you wont be dissapointed ;-)
emphyrian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by emphyrian »

Thanks again.

The latest is this - I found a cd and tried to burn the dchakker program. It wasnt recognised by the DC and when I went to play disc it just reset itself!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Have you checked out the tutorial "How To Use Selfboot Inducer" on DCStuff, yet? If not, you should check that out. It may help you a good bit. You should also check "How To Use CDRecord".
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
emphyrian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by emphyrian »

Ive lost track on what I have read and not read now. Think I did too much too quickly so I will chill for a bit and read up on those faqs and more.
Cheers,
Mike
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Your not using Nero 6 are you...?
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
emphyrian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by emphyrian »

Warmachine wrote:Your not using Nero 6 are you...?
Hmm, at the moment, I am. I do realise im not supposed to but the old neros I tried getting to work wont pick up my cd/dvd drive. I have installed about 3 different aspi drivers but to no avail. When I remembered that Nero 6 wasnt an option I tried using Alcohol but that just kept failing on every burn. Discjuggler just currupted my hard drive.
I had so many things going through my mind I was forgetting some of the little things. :oops:
Sorry if you feel like ive wasted your time. Although if you have more time to waste then any more help is appreciated. I will look for some more faqs on getting two neros installed on one machine (as I need the newer one as well) and will also scour for some more aspi drivers.
Thanks/sorry again.

Mike
brucedeluxe
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by brucedeluxe »

yo curt I went to the selfboot inducer site and I'll tell you right now it's a nightmare for DC Newbies. It is very difficult to follow and I do not recommend SBI for someone who has not had a DC for even a week and has yet to successfully burn nesterDC. It will just cause more confusion. I think one should get the steps of burning one single thing at a time before messing with the idea of SBI's, but maybe thats just me :P
Eat it the newbie way