Will there ever be a 32x emu?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
maximus
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Will there ever be a 32x emu?

Post by maximus »

i am surprised to see that no one hasnt been developing a 32x emu for the dc or i could just be blind and there is. i know that only some of the roms dumped actually work on the pc, but still a good developer should be able to port over an emu. If some people were conviced that an N64 emu was going to be released im sure it would be possible for 32x roms to work :-) I would be greatful for any reply.
dsj1
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

32X emulator??

Post by dsj1 »

If a 32 X emulator is technically possible I would guess someone like Heliophobe(who knows Sega products and codes awesomely!) may be up to the task as he is a masterful coder, if not there may be some others capable of it-like Takayama(nester-dc-it rulz!)or maybe CrTo? It would be a nice edition to the beloved Dreamcast-no doubts there!
Hawq1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hawq1 »

I wpuldn't hold my breath waiting if I were you, the state of 32X emus on PC is not great yet as they are all quite slow. Once the PC emus are sorted then we may see a 32X emu on DC but probably not before then.
Duty is weightier than a mountain while death is as light as a feather.

For those who get really bored, try to figure out where the line above comes from. Put answers in here http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6188
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

I doubt we will ever get a decent running 32x emulator, too much going on inside of the Mega Drive/32X combo with processors flying :)

I'd mainly look at Atani doing it first to be honest if anyone did it, having some Genesis code down and all :)

The fastest I think we would see 32x emulation is the state DreamSNES is in now, although don't hold me to that :)

As to Hawq, I'm not really sure it matters all that much.. If someone was to spend a lot of time on one for the DC exclusivly (not a port) then we could see some good 32x emulation.... it's about time we got some stuff that hasn't been done well on PC on DC :)

<---- anti-PC gamer, don't take it the wrong way Hawq :)
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

i don't know....the 32X uses SH2s, so you would think there would be a way to just send the instructions off the the SH4 without actually emulating the processors...course you also gotta worry about the z80s and whatever the hell else off the shelf chips that the genesis uses and keep them all in sync :) that would be such a mess!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Are there any good games for the 32x? The only one I can think of is Doom, and that's already on the DC...
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Lartrak wrote: Are there any good games for the 32x? The only one I can think of is Doom, and that's already on the DC...
Well, Virtua Racing is supposedly quite good (I only have the standard megadrive version) but that game has ever more SH2s in the cartridge itself so would be almost impossible to emulate.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Doom 32x was killer. Knuckles chaotics and metal head were a lot of fun, as was star wars arcade. They only made about 30 or 40 games for it as I recall, so it'd be a fairly low priority. I'm sure it's possible, but I think we wouldn't see it until we had a working saturn and maybe playstation emulator, and a finished divx, genesis, snes, and nintendo emulator. Bottom line, don't hold your breath. And for once I'll agree with hasney, this sounds a lil bit more like atani's dept. Let's wait for dcgen to finsish, then ask him for something else.

It's either that or get sega to make you-know-what legal and playing 32x rom dumps. Then we have to find some 32x rom dumps.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

fatheadpi wrote:It's either that or get sega to make you-know-what legal and playing 32x rom dumps.
What is "you-know-what"? Piracy :lol: ? Herb :D ? Roms(probably this1)?

Then we have to find some 32x rom dumps.
I think I have 'em all..

-Zac
mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mik »

Hopefully someday we'll have everything..
This system still has loads of potenial and power

It will never die (underground) unless we let it.

Although is there even a good 32x emu for pc? I have some 32x games on here and i havent found one to play any of them decent yet.

:idea:
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Ages works for 32X but it itn't very fast on my pc.
ThatGreenJesus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by ThatGreenJesus »

I do believe you are all forgetting about a little game called "Star Wars Arcade"...oh, and Kolibri, arguably the greatest 32X hummingbird shooter ever.
...WITH A BOMB IN ITS RIBCAGE!
tripWIRE
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tripWIRE »

arguably the greatest 32X hummingbird shooter ever.
Is there another :wink:
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

I don't see a real reason to emulate 32X... i think SNES should be the number one priority to get going at a decent speed. 32X had such a small amount of games i don't see the reason to try to go through all the hardships of getting it to work on dc...unless of course it plays both 32X and Genesis....Though more possible then Saturn and perhaps psx emus it seems to not really have a game that sticks out. I would rather see GBA emulated(considering its 32 bit with a lot of killer titles)
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Yeah, for 32x emulation to work, Genesis would have to be emulated anyways....

SNES shouldn't be no. priority.. IT RUNS! :) Get something going that isn't running yet, theres emough damn consoles ;)
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

you know what, your right Hasney... it shouldn't be a priority. I do recomend more mainstream systems cause finding games for non mainstream is one hard task.
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

Damnit, #1 reason for a 32X emu for the DC:

No 32X emu for the Mac... :evil:
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

32X? Why not the Mega CD (Sega CD)? It could read the game files from the actual CD in the same way that Bleem! does!

But I don't fancy the thought of playing Night Trap over and over again for the rest of my life... I suppose there is Sonic CD (the only Sonic game I've never played (apart from "Sonic Shuffle" but that doesn't count..does it?)!

Anyway, the 32X emulation is a nice idea. The PROBLEM is that we don't even have "perfect" emulation of SNES or Megadrive (Genesis) games yet... 32X emulation will come but I think it's important to build UP to it rather than jump over the more "simple" systems.

Agree? Anybody? :?
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

No

1. Because I own a portable Mega CD (No need for an emulator :lol:)

2. Nah, it depends on the devvers, what machines they are passionate about, what challenges they want, not us guys demanding 32xs or similar ;)
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

Good point, Hasney... but I was just offering an oppinion. This whole topic (and the Helliphobe one) seem to be the "company hot-line" by people complaining about a service we're supposed to be running. This simply isn't the case.

If anything, this site is gonna mainly continue to provide people with the latest, coolest software for the Dreamcast and to unform everyone of the latest developments in the scene.

I'm not trying to "take over" the direction of the site or anything, but then again...who is?

As far as I can tell, Dr Zoidberg runs this place! 007, where are you? :?

32X? Let's see what happens, shall we? :)

(I gotta get into this coding lark!)
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!