Flash?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
SLiDE
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flash?

Post by SLiDE »

Ok, I am not quite sure about how to go about doing this but I figured all of you might put your heads together and find a way.

There are some quality games out there that are Macromedia Flash and I was wondering if there was a way to emulate a Shockwave player of some sort of "Flash" port that would run on the DC. Flash games use keyboard and/or mouse, there could be a front end to handle converting to DC joystick. Games would be easier for more people to create new graphic intensive movies and intros--it is just an idea and I'm not so sure if it could even be done but I figured it was worth a post.

----------------------------------------------------
Whoops--I had a problem with my browser, posted twice.
-SLiDE->
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

In theory, it's a great idea, and I'm pretty sure it's an idea that has been explored before.

However, I don't think it's remotely feasble on the DC. Unless, of course, someone creates a jacked-up DC browser with Flash support in it, but I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen.
Wsttrollboy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Wsttrollboy »

Most people here dont feel like making something form scratch so unless there is an open source player that could work on dreamcast dont hold your breath
SLiDE
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by SLiDE »

If it's an open source player you want I think I know where to get one...there are quite a few out there now. If someone is interested I can dig a little.
-SLiDE->
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

If I recall correctly, the lastest versions of PW support some flash, as does PSD, not sure just how the support is though, as I haven't used my Dreamcast in months.
SoldierBlade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SoldierBlade »

I use nothing but a dreamcast for internet. Heres how the browsers stack up in terms of flash ability.

DreamPassport 1.0 (none)
DreamPassport 2.0,2.1 and BBPP (some swf3 support)
DreamPassport 3.0 and 3.1x (swf3)
DreamPassport 3.2 Premier (some swf4 but I've seen some swf5 play fine)

Note: XDP is a modified DreamPassport 3.15 taken from PSO

Dreamkey 1.0 and 1.5 (see DP2)
Dreamkey 2.0 (i think its the same as DP3)
Dreamkey 3.0 (see DP 3.2)

Dreamkeys were english DreamPassports for the UK DC. Difference was that they had no IRC or ch@b. DP3 did have a hidden IM client much like ch@b though called Dream Notes. Servers never went online.... Back to the topic at hand....

Planetweb 1.x (from what I've heard, barely swf1 support)
Planetweb 2.0x, and 2.1x (manual says swf2)
Planetweb 2.606 and 2.62 (some swf3)
Planetweb 3.0 (specs say swf4, but i havent found any flash that works at all with this browser. does have limited Java applet ability with its Sun PJAVA)

The Planetweb made browsers were made for the US and were simply called Web Browser...

Dreamcast WebTV all versions (spec chart from official Japanese WebTV site says swf2)

Good luck gettin one of these puppies....

Hope that sheds some light on the browsers for you fellas. If you wanna learn more, check the dcbg archive database. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dreamcastbrowsers
Signatures are lame...
SLiDE
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by SLiDE »

So can we safely say that if we obtained an open source "web browser" like program for the DC --it might be concievable to strip it down to the bear assentials so that some sort of *swf player could be compiled from it's remains?

See, what I'm trying to find out is if it's possible--not if anyone will create it, just so that I know that it's 70% possible. If I get at least that much I think I can persuade a few people to jump into it with some minor funding on my behalf. --call it a personal goal on my part.

--Thank you all for your help, I don't know much about programing but I do know when I see a good product with some life left.
-SLiDE->
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Possible? Maybe. However, I don't think there are any functional open-source Flash implementations, and Flash isn't exactly a trivial file format.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I remember Macromedia released the source code for Flash player 6 for porting purposes. I mosted it in the porting section of the forum a while back. Have to request the source code.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Yeah, if anyone here wanted to tackle it, they'd have to get approved for it first.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
PrOfUnD Darkness
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by PrOfUnD Darkness »

I was planning to port this one, but I don't have the time to do it right now. Maybe someone wanna give it a try?

http://www.swift-tools.net/Flash/
sheng
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by sheng »

It would be nice to run flash stuff on the DC......
Dream on
SLiDE
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by SLiDE »

Thanx guys, that's all I needed to know...My Guys are going to start monday morning on it.

Thanx again for the link--I do have to wait for macromedia to call me back this week but that doesn't mean I can't get a jump on it.
-SLiDE->
SoldierBlade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SoldierBlade »

To be perfectly honest, I would rather see a good JVM (Java virtual machine). There are far more and far better Java applet games. Also, if you combine that with the new modem capabilities available with KOS, you could have messengers, irc clients, etc in addition to games. Just a thought. Yes I do realise that nobody has been able to get the new modem support to connect to an isp, but i figure that is just down the road, and a good JVM and KOS modem drivers could convince someone to take up making a homebrew web browser.
Signatures are lame...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

The problem, again, though, is that there aren't any (AFAIK) open-source JVM's.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

There are a whole bunch of open source JVMs that find their home at sourceforge. Whether any of them are worth porting to DC is a different story. I think you could get a JVM to run on DC that interperates Java byte code pretty easily with one of these open source JVMs. The big task is implementing some of the standard Java packages to do something worth looking at on the DC. For instance, if your java class uses the awt package, you have better have a GUI system developed. It seems like there would be a lot to do. Here's a link to one of the well developed open source JVMs:

http://www.sablevm.org/
SoldierBlade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SoldierBlade »

Ya beat me to it Scherzo! LOL Oh well. :) Heres another good one.

http://kaffe.org

Its under the GNU liscense, so its definitly open source.
Signatures are lame...
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

SoldierBlade wrote:...and a good JVM and KOS modem drivers could convince someone to take up making a homebrew web browser.
I don't think using a JVM is the right path at all in relation to developing a homebrew web browser.
SoldierBlade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SoldierBlade »

I never said it would be. What my point was, is that having one around would make it more attractive to make a homebrew browser because that feature could possibly be implemented. I know it would be a memory hog, but just like PW3, it could have an on/off switch.
Signatures are lame...
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Though none of these are exactly what you're looking for, some of these links may help
http://flasm.sourceforge.net/ - a Flash bytecode assembler/disassembler
http://ming.sourceforge.net/ - "a SWF output library and PHP module"
http://www.openswf.org/ - discussion of the SWF file format
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flas ... t/faq.html - here's Macromedia's thoughts on the file format & licensing of their source code

And I have seen open-source flash players, and last I saw they weren't fully functional (as above), but I can't find them right now. :/
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.