Yet another selfbooting problem.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Some Guy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Yet another selfbooting problem.

Post by Some Guy »

Yeah, it's quite a strange one.

I've used Selfboot before (DreamSNES) and I have never had a problem (I've made 20+ discs before), yet this time, there is a big problem.

The selfbooting program usually creates an image for me to burn, like right there in the Selfboot folder. It has always created the image and put it right in the folder. Well, this time, I go to create the image and it acts as if it has made it.

i.e. Image created, good burning! Or whatever. Wellll, it's not good burning, not at all. In fact, it's no burning. There's nothing to burn. I've searched and searched for this phantom image and it's no where to be found. I use Alcohol 120% and it's been a doll for me in the past, and still is today. So I can practically burn anything. I've tried making it a .nrg file AND a .cdi file. It. Just. Won't. Work.

(sigh) Any help to offer?
The Mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by The Mik »

Ok first question is there enough room on your hardrive to make the said image. I know it is a simple question, but it is best to start off simple. :)
Butt licker!!
Some Guy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Some Guy »

Yes, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty.
The Mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by The Mik »

Hmm I have never ran into this problem myself, so the only advice I can offer is to reinstall Selfboot. Perhaps AZ, Curt or 138 will be along shortly to offer some help.
Butt licker!!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I've heard of people having that problem as well, but I don't know what causes it or how to fix it. :( When using Selfboot to make a disc, I always use CDRecord. Other than trying CDRecord, The Mik's suggestion is about all I can think of so try re-installing Selfboot and see if that helps. If not, hopefully Curt will have some suggestions.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Well. I'm going to wait to see what Some Guy's response is to the suggestions that have already been made. In the meantime, I will probably play around with Selfboot for a little while to see if I can duplicate the problem (I seem to remember having this problem a few times myself, but that was about the time I discovered Selfboot Inducer, so I quit using Selfboot for the most part, and uninstalled it).

BTW - In which directory do you have Selfboot installed? In which directory do you have the files you are trying to selfboot? What are you trying to selfboot?
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Where do you have Inducer installed to? Some of the programs it uses have trouble with long filenames. Try creating a directory straight on your C:\ drive (or other hard drive) with no more than 8 characters in it's name.

Other than that, I've got no ideas.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

yes thats probably because of the path, if it contains spaces or is too long it may cause problems
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
Some Guy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Some Guy »

I have reinstalled Selfboot I think about 5-7 times now. I have Selfboot along with my files (DCnguboy) in C:\ directory.

I tried to download Selfboot inducer but it was a dead link. I have not tried CDRecord but I guess if I can't figure this out I will.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

If you are planning to use Selfboot Inducer, you should check out the tutorial on my web site about "How To Use Selfboot Inducer".
DreamZone Forums

Some Guy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Some Guy »

I just did, Curt and it worked wonderfully. Thank you very much for your assistance.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Glad you finally got it to work. I am still going to check into that Selfboot problem, so that I can have an answer next time somebody asks that question.
DreamZone Forums

dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler »

I already had that problem

It happens when you're using Win XP

All you have to do is leave a copy of choice.com at selfboot directory
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride