Katana...?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Katana...?

Post by SaSSO »

I was checking out the Blur message boards and I saw something about "Katana". Does anyone know what this is? I know it was the code name for the Dreamcast a while back (along with Dural), but what exactly are they referring to?

http://cloud.prohosting.com/hairybud/cg ... 3&topic=44

I have a feeling this topic is gonna be locked soon...
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

It is the official devkit for developing Dreamcast games.

Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Yeah and unless you are a licenced Sega developer, it's illeagal.
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SaSSO »

Oh ok :lol:

But if there was a way to "release" this to the public, it would be a lot easier to develop emulators for the DC, right? :?
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SaSSO »

:idea: One more thing though. I read online at around the time of the Dreamcasts "death", that Sega was going to make it easier for non licensed developers to develop for the system, saying that they were going to release the DevKits for cheaper. I also think that Sega really wouldn't mind someone developing a non profit emulator with its DevKits... :oops:
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

SaSSO wrote: Oh ok :lol:

But if there was a way to "release" this to the public, it would be a lot easier to develop emulators for the DC, right? :?
Yes, and from what i hear there are talks of releasing it public, but it's just a rumor and probably won't happen cuz some brazillian company bought the rights to Dreamcast...
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SaSSO »

:?: Damn I didn't hear about any Brazillian company buying the rights to the Dreamcast- must be recent news story- do you have any links to a news story or something??
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

404NotFound wrote: ... cuz some brazillian company bought the rights to Dreamcast ...
That some news I didn't here. Can you give me some more insight on it? (A newslink maybe?)
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Nope, but TecToy (A Brazillian company that buys all the rights to dead Sega consoles) has the rights to the DC. BUT! They also had rights to Saturn, and Sega still relased the libs, so they probably will with the DC...

Since they said after the DC is dead, probably after this month (last game relases) or later this year :)
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SaSSO »

Hollywood Hasney wrote: TecToy (A Brazillian company that buys all the rights to dead Sega consoles) has the rights to the DC
I thought Majesco bought the rights to the dead Sega Consoles- they are the ones that have released the Genesis 3 and the Game Gear, as well as some games for both consoles.

If someone can provide a news link to this topic, it would be appreciated.
jcjimher
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by jcjimher »

Well, that brazilian company (TecToy if I'm not mistaken) was supposed to sell the console without taking any loss (at a full 200$ price), so maybe they don't care so much about taking a fee from every Dreamcast program out there, allowing hombrew apps or games.

In fact, it would be good for them to encourage the hombrew scene, since there will be none or few new commercial games released.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

SaSSO wrote:
Hollywood Hasney wrote: TecToy (A Brazillian company that buys all the rights to dead Sega consoles) has the rights to the DC
I thought Majesco bought the rights to the dead Sega Consoles- they are the ones that have released the Genesis 3 and the Game Gear, as well as some games for both consoles.

If someone can provide a news link to this topic, it would be appreciated.
Lol Genesis3 maybe, but gamegear?!?! lol
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Hollywood Hasney wrote: Nope, but TecToy (A Brazillian company that buys all the rights to dead Sega consoles) has the rights to the DC. BUT! They also had rights to Saturn, and Sega still relased the libs, so they probably will with the DC...

Since they said after the DC is dead, probably after this month (last game relases) or later this year :)
Wait they released Saturn libs? And nobody has any saturn stuff yet? lol... anyway that's pretty cool... i mean what other company would release the libs to thier hardware just because it's discontinued? (nintendo wouldn't i'm sure)
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Yeah there is :) Theres some Saturn stuff going down :)

You people should check out consolevision.com some more, theres a couple of emulators for it :mrgreen:
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SaSSO »

404NotFound wrote: Lol Genesis3 maybe, but gamegear?!?! lol
:evil: Actually yeah-

Game Gear Core System
by Majesco Sales, Inc. (Electronics)
Avg. Customer Rating:
Usually ships in 24 hours
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 12-5782257

Thats from the Toys R' Us Website and when you go to the stores and stuff you see it. Majesco re releases the hardware. There is a rumor flying around that they are currently researching ways to produce the Saturn cheaper and release a refined version of that, too.

So HA :lol:
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Links to Saturn stuff: http://smsemu.emuunlim.com/

http://saturndev.emuvibes.com/

They are probably your best 2 :)

And credit for the most ambitios port: http://www.geocities.com/sectanime/

He's porting FF7 to Saturn :lol: :D
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

SaSSO wrote:
404NotFound wrote: Lol Genesis3 maybe, but gamegear?!?! lol
:evil: Actually yeah-

Game Gear Core System
by Majesco Sales, Inc. (Electronics)
Avg. Customer Rating:
Usually ships in 24 hours
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 12-5782257

Thats from the Toys R' Us Website and when you go to the stores and stuff you see it. Majesco re releases the hardware. There is a rumor flying around that they are currently researching ways to produce the Saturn cheaper and release a refined version of that, too.

So HA :lol:
Wow cool maybe i should start collecting these new oldies... ever notice how all the old stuff is comming back? Like they started producing the old He-Man and Transformers action figures?

Oh and BTW i always thought those things were just used... lol :)

LOL i just read the amazon thing... man they will try to sell anything: "Editorial Reviews
From the Box
Game Gear goes everywhere so you can play in the car, on the bus, or waiting in line. Play the hottest video games from a huge selection of arcade, sports, and action titles. The full-color, hi-resolution 3.2-inch backlit LCD screen gives great detail, even in the dark! It features 32 blazing colors for arcade-quality graphics and animation. "
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

In GAME in the UK, they have shrink wrapped Jaguars for ?10..

Some branches also have a reto pack which has the Atari Lynx in for ?35 :)
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SaSSO »

Hollywood Hasney wrote: He's porting FF7 to Saturn
Its impossible- Saturn is really a 2D machine at heart, and would not be able to handle emulating the Playstation, espefcially a game like Final Fantasy VII. Its a hoax :cry: Thats like trying to make Gamecube emulator from the Playstation 2- completely different hardware and one more powerful then the other (well Playstation isnt THAT much more powerful then the Saturn but you get the idea)...

Yea, 404, a lot of old things are coming back- im waiting for Majesco to re release some Saturn games like they did with the Game Gear (i think they re resleased Sonic Pinball and a few others).. imagine a Panzer RPG rerelease- that would kill the high bids on Ebay!! :lol:
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

SaSSO wrote:
Hollywood Hasney wrote: He's porting FF7 to Saturn
Its impossible- Saturn is really a 2D machine at heart, and would not be able to handle emulating the Playstation, espefcially a game like Final Fantasy VII. Its a hoax :cry: Thats like trying to make Gamecube emulator from the Playstation 2- completely different hardware and one more powerful then the other (well Playstation isnt THAT much more powerful then the Saturn but you get the idea)...

Yea, 404, a lot of old things are coming back- im waiting for Majesco to re release some Saturn games like they did with the Game Gear (i think they re resleased Sonic Pinball and a few others).. imagine a Panzer RPG rerelease- that would kill the high bids on Ebay!! :lol:
Yeah i checked the Majasco site and it doesn't have any listing about Genesis or anything... did they too stop making genesis hardware?