help for a dreamcast fan

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ssoosay
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

help for a dreamcast fan

Post by ssoosay »

hi,

i'm a huge, huge fan of the dc emulation scene and homebrew scene, but my burner isn't working and i'm really bad at burning etc. i think the reason my burners broke was becasue of me trying to burn emu's. I bought some emu's at ebay because i just couldn't wait -

dremsnes
nester
half life
smeg
the spectrum and megadrive ones

but there are so many out there! :( i bought them for 5 pounds each, not all at once however). i don't know if this topic is ok to put up, if not i'll understand, i know of strick copyright stuff can be) but if anyone in the uk can brun stuff and send it for under ?5 i'd be very happy.

PM me if your interested

thanks for listening
ssoosay :)
'YOU AIN'T NO REAL INDIAN! REAL INDIANS DON'T LOOK AND ACT LIKE A CRAZY FOOL!!!!!!! -MR T
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

1) Buying emulator is basically warez, a pure violtation of forum rules since buying emus are unethical & I'm sure you bought roms with that
2) What's wrong with your burner? Open it up and clean it, and also lubricate the moving parts or the arms the lens slides on. This will probably fix your problem.

So, learn to download & burn software yourself. It isn't difficult. Have some patience.
df0notfound
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by df0notfound »

half life isnt an emu its warez haha and everyone on this board is really anal about that even though it was never released so who cares cos its not hurting anyone and is a crap game anyone. So get ready to be jumped on
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

If somebody were to burn a disc containing purely emulators (and possibly public domain ROMs), with ssoosay fully aware that they can be obtained for free, then that would be acceptable. Most licenses for free software permit you to distribute them at a cost.

ssoosay could then burn his own ROMs as regular data discs, or have a friend do it for him.

df0notfound - Half Life is hurting people, because it is still being sold on multiple platforms in near-identical form.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

not sure about Scotland, but in the US CD burners are dirt cheap these days.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

az_bont wrote:If somebody were to burn a disc containing purely emulators (and possibly public domain ROMs), with ssoosay fully aware that they can be obtained for free, then that would be acceptable. Most licenses for free software permit you to distribute them at a cost.
:? I'm still searching for facts in those statements.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Okay - here's a section of the GNU GPL, a popular open-source license as I'm sure you know:
The GNU GPL wrote:1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
I don't know what other licenses are used, but this is a fairly popular one. Obviously each seperate piece of software is subject to its own license, so it is impossible to make any sort of blanket statement.

But, I believe that the intentions are well, and there is no deception or misleading on the seller's part, so all you're really doing is providing a service, and being helpful.

That said, it is worth getting yourself a CD burner. You can pick up some nice 24x ones for less than ?20, and it'd save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
ssoosay
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

hi

Post by ssoosay »

ok

thanks for your help

ssoosay
'YOU AIN'T NO REAL INDIAN! REAL INDIANS DON'T LOOK AND ACT LIKE A CRAZY FOOL!!!!!!! -MR T
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

az_bont wrote:Okay - here's a section of the GNU GPL, a popular open-source license as I'm sure you know:
The GNU GPL wrote:1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
I don't know what other licenses are used, but this is a fairly popular one. Obviously each seperate piece of software is subject to its own license, so it is impossible to make any sort of blanket statement.

But, I believe that the intentions are well, and there is no deception or misleading on the seller's part, so all you're really doing is providing a service, and being helpful.

That said, it is worth getting yourself a CD burner. You can pick up some nice 24x ones for less than ?20, and it'd save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run.
Yeah but many people dont read that part. Lot of other parts as well. Yeah it is fine and it done with linux as well.
Dreamcast forever!!!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

az_bont wrote:Okay - here's a section of the GNU GPL, a popular open-source license as I'm sure you know:

Yeah. That's how companies like Red Hat can charge for Linux, even though it's free software. As long as it's only free software that we're talking about, I don't see anything ethically wrong with somebody making a couple bucks burning things for somebody as long as they know they could get it for free off the net. However, once you include ROMS (or Half Life) in the deal, it's copyright infringement.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah for sure Only pd homebrew roms could be included no bios's ether. Prolly a need for it for people that cant get there head around how to do it..
Dreamcast forever!!!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Ian Micheal wrote:no bios's ether
That would end up being the major problem. If he wanted any emus that require a bios, then it would be pointless to burn the emu without it, wouldn't it?

So - moral of the story - don't request anything that requires a bios, because it is illegal to include it, and it won't work without it.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

i think that the gpl text means the author can sell his work or not, but if you sell something you dont own thats certainly not legit and probably not legal to me
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Well, I wouldn't see it as charginf for the software, but rather for a service that you are providing. And I'm no lawyer type, but I'm fairly certain the GNU GPL allows allows third parties to redistribute open-source software at a cost. Of course, that only applies to software distributed through the GNU GPL.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

I think you all are missing the point: I doubt sincerely that the burns contained the source, or the location & how to get the source.

I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

EDIT: I also sincerely doubt that the eBay seller will even place a copy of the license with the selling product.

And also: the GPL isn't the only license out there. You guys were making assumptions, but I'm making assumptions as well. Aaaack, woe is me :D

EDIT2: Course, most of the DC emus uses the GPL...
ssoosay
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ssoosay »

sorry i asked.

:o
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Storminator16 - I was actually referring more to if a person from here created the discs as ssoosay enquired in his original post, and not the discs bought from eBay.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

I know, if you look at how haphazard my post developed I realized the entire discussion became to general. :D I lost track.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

so it would mean you can make beneficts from a project that costed nothing at the beginning? i highly doubt so, even if you include the gpl. if the author started a free project you are allowed to continue it, modify the source and redistribute it freely, or if it was sold you will be able to sell it, but if you didnt even improved the project and it wasnt sold at the start selling it is illegal from what i understand, unless the authors all agreed someone sell their work.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

speud - it does allow this. By adopting the license you are agreeing to it's terms, and so each author has already permitted it's software to be sold. If this wasn't true, then you would never see any GNU GPL software on a cover CD.