PSO Homebrewed Server?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Would ya want to use a fan-made PSO server?

Total votes: 0
StelardActek
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by StelardActek »

Prophet][ wrote:Even if he did start his own PSO server. Everyone would have to download a hacked version of the game so it owuld connect to his server.
Uh, no. I think this has been covered before. They'd just need to run a DNS server on their computer that points to the PSO server, and have the DC use that DNS server. It could probably be done online, but I think the idea here is to make LAN parties a posibility.
Last edited by StelardActek on Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There was a time once... a time when I believed in Justice... Rightiousness!"
- Admiral Munetake
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Hmm, This may sounld stupid, but wouldn't you have to have to same IP as SEGA uses then, Ok thats easy in a LAN situation, but I don't think SEGA will just give it up on the net.
StelardActek
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by StelardActek »

No, think about it:
Obviously, the game has some method of reference to the servers hard coded into it. Either:

a) An IP address (x.x.x.x), or
b) A domain name (a.b.com)

Now, an IP address doesn't make sense, as they're suseptable to change. Hence, it is probably a domain name. In fact, I believe it's even been proven, by the people who brought you the DC-PC server.
Anyway, if you run a DNS server on your computer, which has whatever domain name the game looks for pointing to the IP of the homebrew server, then connect the DC to your PC rather than directly to the internet, and set the DC to use the rigged DNS server instead of your usual ISPs one, then you should be able to play on the homebrew server just fine.
Last edited by StelardActek on Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Admiral Munetake
Barubary
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Barubary »

I already have a working server, in a sense. Currently, you can walk around and talk to others in the lobby. I even managed to get the PC and DC versions compatible - they *see each other*.

The Gamecube protocol encryption is different, but me and my Japanese friend broke it using an elaborate trick to fake the client into sending us the EXE file (since we can't read Gamecube DVDs). I don't have a Gamecube or GC PSO, so I can't work on it at the moment.

By the way, the server address is a hardcoded DNS entry in the client. Specifically:

European DC:
Logon Server: pso.dream-key.com:9200

American DC:
Hunter's License: auth01.dricas.com:443
Logon Server: game01.st-pso.games.sega.net:9200

Japanese DC:
Logon Server: pso01.dricas.ne.jp:9200

Japanese GC:
Logon Server: pso-gc01.sonic.isao.net:9300

All PC:
Hunter's License/Patch: pso-mp02.sonic.isao.net:???
Logon Server: pso-mp01.sonic.isao.net:9000

The PC version is the easiest to mess with. You just add an entry into %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts for pso-mp01.sonic.isao.net that points to the server.

The Dreamcast is the second easiest. You can either use Xploder codes to change the DNS entry that the client uses, or you can set the Dreamcast network settings to use a DNS server that intentionally returns the wrong address for the logon server.

The Gamecube is the hardest, especially in modem mode. The modem configuration of the Gamecube does not let you set the DNS server explicitly - it *always* uses what the ISP tells you. With Ethernet, however, the Gamecube does let you change the DNS address, so you can do the same trick as the Dreamcast.

-- Barubary
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

ah barubary, the cheater that runined PSO :)

remember me from psoworld as TinyGrendel? I remember the fight u had at PSOW with watashiwa and the such :P

what brings you here, old timer?
StelardActek
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by StelardActek »

Actually, I told him on another message board, about this topic here. I was sort of hoping we might be able to get some sort of colaborative effort going here, for the good of the scene and all that.
Please, let's keep the flaming out of this, before it starts.
Last edited by StelardActek on Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Admiral Munetake
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

maybe we can get a server for Australia :D
Lets just hope sega doesn't find out.
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

10 bucks says that barubary already has like 30 pm's :mrgreen:
Barubary
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Barubary »

Quall wrote:10 bucks says that barubary already has like 30 pm's :mrgreen:
Shall I send you PayPal account number? I have 0 messages in my mailbox here: ????{?b?N?X????b?Z?[?W??????????

-- Barubary
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

So, what are you plans for the PSO server, Barubary?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

You say you can change the DNS server with Xploder codes. Where would one go about finding these codes?
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
StelardActek
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by StelardActek »

I've seen the server. Even if it /is/ just the lobby, it's pretty cool that it works at all.
Does the server project website have any connection logs submitted yet? Because I think Barubary should be allowed to have them if he wants.
- Admiral Munetake
StelardActek
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by StelardActek »

tidal wrote:well the DC PSO servers are dead..... now what???
Uh, no they're not. I was playing PSOv2 online only yesterday.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

hey baru u still have that flash that said something like "kick baruberry, eating baruberry, killing lame stupid a-hole baruberry" lol those were the days my friend :D
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

Ah Barubary... I never met you either on PSO or a message board before, but I thouroughly enjoyed reading flames directed at you on the GameFAQs boards. Congratulations on getting a working server up (or at least sort of) - in 4 posts you've done more than the 7 pages of this topic :)(no offence meant to those who have done stuff in those 7 pages... you've done a great job with the logging and so forth - its just that Barubary has got something thats more tangiable)
Great One
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Great One »

bump
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

StelardActek wrote:I've seen the server. Even if it /is/ just the lobby, it's pretty cool that it works at all.
Does the server project website have any connection logs submitted yet? Because I think Barubary should be allowed to have them if he wants.
how to connect to the server in americam dreamcast ?!?!?! xplode code ? what is this ????
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

Barubary wrote:I already have a working server, in a sense. Currently, you can walk around and talk to others in the lobby. I even managed to get the PC and DC versions compatible - they *see each other*.

The Gamecube protocol encryption is different, but me and my Japanese friend broke it using an elaborate trick to fake the client into sending us the EXE file (since we can't read Gamecube DVDs). I don't have a Gamecube or GC PSO, so I can't work on it at the moment.

By the way, the server address is a hardcoded DNS entry in the client. Specifically:

European DC:
Logon Server: pso.dream-key.com:9200

American DC:
Logon Server: game01.st-pso.games.sega.net:9200

Japanese DC:
Logon Server: pso01.dricas.ne.jp:9200

Japanese GC:
Logon Server: pso-gc01.sonic.isao.net:9300

All PC:
Hunter's License/Patch: pso-mp02.sonic.isao.net:???
Logon Server: pso-mp01.sonic.isao.net:9000

The PC version is the easiest to mess with. You just add an entry into %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts for pso-mp01.sonic.isao.net that points to the server.

The Dreamcast is the second easiest. You can either use Xploder codes to change the DNS entry that the client uses, or you can set the Dreamcast network settings to use a DNS server that intentionally returns the wrong address for the logon server.

The Gamecube is the hardest, especially in modem mode. The modem configuration of the Gamecube does not let you set the DNS server explicitly - it *always* uses what the ISP tells you. With Ethernet, however, the Gamecube does let you change the DNS address, so you can do the same trick as the Dreamcast.

-- Barubary
If you need PSO GC version I can mail you a copy of the usa one once I get some cash.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Cless wrote:If you need PSO GC version I can mail you a copy of the usa one once I get some cash.
Hopeflly you mean a real legit "copy"
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

kubyx wrote:
Cless wrote:If you need PSO GC version I can mail you a copy of the usa one once I get some cash.
Hopeflly you mean a real legit "copy"
U cant copy GC games yet so of course I did.