Dream On Magazine Inquiry

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

How do you think the magazine should be distributed?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:15 pm

Free - Have Lik-Sang give it out, and a PDF to print
33%
Print on home computer, pay per issue & subscription
3%
Professionally Printed with ads. Pay per issue & subscription
64%

Total votes: 33
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Dream On Magazine Inquiry

Post by MetaFox »

I've been somewhat hesitant about releasing the Dream On magazine due to one factor - how it should be released. Most people seem to want it to be released in a subscription format, rather than free. I had qualms about releasing a magazine of which the printing wasn't of great quality for pay.

So, here's my inquiry: how do you think the magazine should be distributed? It could be done one of three ways:
1. I can distribute it for free. Lik-Sang would give it out to all it's customers, and I'd release a PDF so you can print your own
2. Printed on my home computer on high quality paper, and sold to people on a per-issue basis, or by subscription
3. Published by a professional publisher. Released in regular glossy magazine-stand format. This is the most costly option - but by far the best-looking and most professional. The cost would be paid for by in-magazine advertisements. Like number 2, it would be sold to people on a per-issue basis, or by subscription.

Choice number 2 could come with a pressed CD depending on if the number of subscriptions were enough, number 3 would come with a CD if the advertisments and subscriptions were enough.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by impetus »

Metafox I work at a print shop and may be able to help you with Option 3. PM me if you are interested.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Well, I'd like the PDF version, because frankly, if I'm not at school, I'm on a computer, and reading PDFs are OK with me. #2 would be great if the price was right, but it'll be a strain on you and your resources. I can't see #3 happening, although it'd be the best aesthetic choice. There are popular fan 'zines out there, so #2 may be the better option. Just get prepared to endure the madness.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

you might be surprised - 2 could cost quite a lot more than 3 (depends on the readership and print details)
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

That's a tough one. On the one hand, a professional-looking magazine would be sweet (somehow, advertisements in magazines don't seem to get to be as annoying as ones in the Web), and a pressed CD could both help out dialup users (or those without access to a disc recorder) and garner interest from those only casually browsing "the scene." Number two would be good if you were able to cover the time spent working on the magazine with a modest subscription fee (as even supporters need support), plus, sometimes it simply feels more tangible to have paid for something before receiving it (which can be kinda nice).

The first option, however, could be the one to really take off -- If it were provided by Lik-Sang, it would of course immediately reach many people... Plus, if it were freely-available, people like me could print copies out and drop them off at places like GameStop (with permission, of course) and potentially reach even more! The only facts mucking up that last point would be that if the magazine were "in the tens" of pages, I would have to start buying ink and paper in bulk (more bulk than the current bulk, that is :wink: )... and the game places besides the ones that I'm familiar with would probably not allow me to leave anything DC-related on their counters.

Thinking of the trees, though, I would have to say that the first two options could be most environmentally sound. :D Those that don't require a "hard copy" would be able to simply leave the magazine on their computer/laptop, and read it digitally at their leisure (plus being able to search articles, easily quote text, and things like that). I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit, before I vote...
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

I would go with a combo of #1 and #2(or 3).

Let Lik Sang distribute the hard copy with demos(if you're still planning on doing that) but distribute it as a pdf as well. That should do until you can get some firm figures on readership, and then shift to #2 or #3 as necessary.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

I agree with Ender ;) Give peeps the bait (to gain the widest audience) then switch over to a profit earning system to ensure you are able to continue publishing the magazine. Doing all of it for free will evenutally cause you to lose money out of your pocket and you might feel like your time was wasted.

I tried to find 6 different ways to type that last sentence. I'm going to bed.
pepitonet
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by pepitonet »

# 2 should be out of the question for you, as impetus said it would end up costing more for less quality plus more work to do, so in the end it is not practical.

#1 is good but have a big problem, not everyone buys from lik-sang and thouse who buy don't do it every month, although you have the PDF to read, it isn't the same as having the real thing pressed.(but i think this is what most likely will happen due to low demand for paid subscription)

#3 this would be the best choise if we could get enought subscription and advertisment, and you could do a Bi-monthly Issue since i think we wouldn't have enought for a Monthly issue(rather see a packed full bi monthly than a ads full monthly) .

anyways good luck and hope everything turns out
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

then switch over to a profit earning system to ensure
would it be for profit? or just to recoup expenses. i frankly wouldnt want to pay if the money was going into someone's pocket.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

quzar wrote:would it be for profit? or just to recoup expenses. i frankly wouldnt want to pay if the money was going into someone's pocket.
Both. But the latter more than the former. I certainly don't want to lose my shirt on this, and I'm not going to get rich from it. I've worked on the first issue since 1998, and I want to do it right.

Getting a small amount of compensation for the blood, sweat, and tears I poured into this magazine over the years - and that I will pour into it in future issues - isn't so much to ask.

I most likely won't have much money left over after paying for the printing of the magazines, and paying for the demo CDs to get pressed, so I don't think the small amount left is that much of an issue.
blasfemaz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by blasfemaz »

i think you should do both #1 and #3.

Have 2 versions of the magazine, #1 would be a cut down version with stuff to make you want the real version which would be #3.

#1 should always be available cuz that way lots of ppl will get the magazine, but not just lik-sang, we need more places to distribute it...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

MetaFox wrote:
quzar wrote:would it be for profit? or just to recoup expenses. i frankly wouldnt want to pay if the money was going into someone's pocket.
Both. But the latter more than the former. I certainly don't want to lose my shirt on this, and I'm not going to get rich from it. I've worked on the first issue since 1998, and I want to do it right.

Getting a small amount of compensation for the blood, sweat, and tears I poured into this magazine over the years - and that I will pour into it in future issues - isn't so much to ask.

I most likely won't have much money left over after paying for the printing of the magazines, and paying for the demo CDs to get pressed, so I don't think the small amount left is that much of an issue.
Ok, i just want to know that this isnt about making money. If most of the money goes to keeping the issues coming and making it worth the time you put into it it then good for you.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Iori
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Iori »

I would really like to see #3 but I don't know if it would be worth it... might be hard to get enough ads and sell enough subscriptions. If hat doesn't work option #1 is the best. Most of us have access to printers and it would be a lot of work and pain for you to be printing and putting together issues for the community...
-Iori
jimmybigeyes
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by jimmybigeyes »

I voted for #2, because I thought you meant "everybody can print it on their own home computers". Sorry.

I would like the paper version, but I think it's too difficult, or would look to shabby and cheap.
A free version is nice and friendly, but it might be good for the DC community if someone started making money around here. Personally I would consider paying a few Euro's for a Dreamcast Magazine. 2 or 3 Euro's or something.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

It wouldn't surprise me if Lik-Sang funded the magazine via print ads and coupons, Try and go for option 3 and ask them about some kind of affiliation/sponsorship.

Is it going to be quarterly now?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The Kron wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Lik-Sang funded the magazine via print ads and coupons, Try and go for option 3 and ask them about some kind of affiliation/sponsorship.
Whether or not they agree to do it, one company's ads likely wouldn't be enough to support a full publication, which means active campaigning. (Some starting ideas--I'm just throwing these out--in addition to Lik-Sang would be to try the companies still releasing games in Japan, other import retailers like PlayAsia and BuyRiteGames, and perhaps even some of the other people within this community who may be working on for-profit projects).

Personally, I'd love to see a Dreamcast magazine in print. I like the idea above about a stripped-down PDF with a full version print copy available; this is very similar to The Onion's marketing strategy. I'd definitely subscribe, if the price were reasonable. I'd even offer to contribute, having a smidgeon of journalistic background, except that I'm not sure how busy I'll be now with this Castlevania project.

At any rate, my vote is a mixture of 1 and 3. Good luck with it!
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

quzar wrote:
would it be for profit? or just to recoup expenses. i frankly wouldnt want to pay if the money was going into someone's pocket.
I'm glad to see you like to nitpick every damn thing I say. :roll:

Yes, basically Metafox needs to recover what he's paying out to do all of this. That's my main point. Your comment is quite silly, though. You have no problem paying for anything else, but you have a problem putting money in someone else's pockets in this situation?

I truly, truly hate this scene. I swear I'm on the verge of walking away from these message boards altogether.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

quzar wrote:
What's wrong with Metafox actually making a living doing this? It's his work, he should be compensated. I'm sure if he would get articles written for him from outside sources, those sources would be compensated accordingly. I would have no problem subscribing to Metafox's magazine regardless of how much profit was in it for Metafox. My only hesitation would be over the actual price of the mag.
No signature.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Quzar, do you have a job? If so do you get a paycheck? Now if you said yes I want you to give them back the paycheck, and not take money from anyone and see how long you want to continue to work for free.

Metafox, Is the demo disk with each issue, or is it yearly?
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

willsams you better not leave!!!!!! :cry: