Okay, I have everything, now how do I burn the CD's?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Okay, I have everything, now how do I burn the CD's?

Post by pb2ya »

100 Memorex ( :( ) CD's. Check.
Toast 6 Titanium. Check.
DC Mac Pack. Check.
OSX Panther. Check.
Dreamcast. Check.

Okay, hopefully all of this will work, I tried IM Weasel's guide but wasted my only Verbatim CD in the process, the tutorial dosen't work for the new version of Toast, it just pisses me off that a good company like roxio would change, rearrange, and take away some of the options. I guess they don't realize that there is a thin line in burning discs that divides "working" from "not-working", and changing all the options just makes the damn line thinner, and add more space to the "non-working" section.

Can someone PLEASE write a tutorial for burning self-booting emus using toast 6 where you do not need virtual pc? I bought this mac for three reasons: games, graphic design, and burning dreamcast emulators (seriously)>

This is really frustrating, thanks in advance.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

I've burnt a self-booting CD under OS X without any problems - but from the terminal, not Toast. (I don't have Toast, so I can't help you there)...

If it would be any help to you, I'll try & go through the steps again, & post them here.

-greay
MegaBomberMan
The Mac Mod
The Mac Mod
Location: My girlfriend's hou.... the mall, I'm at the mall :p

Post by MegaBomberMan »

I think all the same stuff is in Toast 6, just in different places. Umm, use the tutorials we have, most of them dont have VPC and all the same stuff is in Toast 6, just calm down, read the tutorial before you don anything, and then give it a try. Oh, and if you bought it to do emu's on DC, return it, return it now.
Imaget(-_-)===@
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by pb2ya »

I bough it mainly for image editing, but the cd burning was just a plus...
anyways, greay, it would be great if you could make a post showing how to burn off the terminal, that would be great :D

But about toast, how can I burn in write mode? I'm pretty sure that's what my problem is. Also, when you use CDI-Rip, which data track do you use ISO fix on?
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

It depends on what you're burning... Okay, looking at I.M. Weasel's tutorial, you've got the IP.BIN && 1ST_READ.BIN already.

Oh, I recommend telling your mac to ignore blank CDs - go into System Preferences, CDs & DVDs, and select "Ignore". If at any point the computer mounts the CD during the course of this, go into the terminal (which you'll have to do anyway) and enter

disktool -u disk1 0

you'll need to get the terminal program "cdrecord" - if you have fink, which I hope you do, a simple "fink install cdrecord" should work. from there, here's the steps:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=2352 count=300 of=audio.raw
cdrecord dev=IODVDServices -multi -audio audio.raw

this'll create the blank audio file you need, and burn it to the CD. (IODVDServices works with a Superdive; check out this page: http://homepage.mac.com/machiavel/Text/cdrecord.html if you have a different kind of drive or this part doesn't work)... Then,

cdrecord dev=IODVDServices -msinfo

which should give you 2 numbers, quite likely 0,11700. do the

mkisofs -l -C 0,11700 -o foo.iso 1ST_READ.BIN
(cat IP.BIN ; dd if=foo.iso bs=2048 skip=16) > selfboot.iso

then

cdrecord dev=IODVDServices -multi -xa1 selfboot.iso

And you should be all set. I haven't used ISO fix: I'm not quite sure what it does, but I've got on fine without it. If you run it on "selfboot.iso" and it creates the 2 tracks the CD needs: i.e. the audio track and the program track, you'd want to run it on the program track (which is the second track).

Hopefully this'll work for you. Since the tools you're using are a little different than what I'm using, if it /doesn't/ work, I'd suggest just creating the files the way you're used to and changing "selfboot.iso" in:

cdrecord dev=IODVDServices -multi -xa1 selfboot.iso

to "header.iso" you created following I.M. Weasel's tutorial. Good luck, and I'll be around if you run into any problems.

-greay
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by pb2ya »

Code: Select all

Can't exec "make": No such file or directory at /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/Services.pm line 243.
### execution of make failed, exit code -1
Failed: compiling cdrtools-1.11a39-1 failed
:( "fink install cdrecord" wont work, Ive been looking around the documentation and help files for almost an hour, do you know what's wrong?
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

hunh... Huhh... This was the /last/ place I thought you'd run into trouble. Am I reading that right - that it's running into trouble running "make"? I have an idea... Go to the terminal, and just type "make" - what happens? You should get

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I'm guessing that you might not have make installed? I can't remember if that's on the "Developer Tools" CD or what, or get the Developer Tools off the Apple site... If you don't have that installed, doing so should clear things up.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

greay,a few things about the terminal code you replied with. I have been tossing around code for years,trying to find the best way to do things.

Code: Select all

mkisofs -l -C 0,11700 -o foo.iso 1ST_READ.BIN
1st read bin is no good. mkisofs requires a directory there.

I am trying to make a port of isofix for OSX,if you want to help,that would be more tha appreciated.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

hmm? What do you mean? Granted, I'm still new to this, but I've burnt 2 DC demos using this method, and both CDs work.

it's mkisofs 1.15a39 (powerpc-apple-macosx7.2.0) if that changes anything...

Just to make sure we're on the same page, from elf to dreamcast it's:

sh-elf-objcopy -O binary foo.elf foo.bin
scramble foo.bin 1ST_READ.BIN
makeip ip.txt IP.BIN
dd if=/dev/zero bs=2352 count=300 of=audio.raw
cdrecord dev=IODVDServices -multi -audio audio.raw
SESSION="`cdrecord dev=IODVDServices -msinfo`"
mkisofs -l -C $SESSION -o tmp.iso 1ST_READ.BIN
(cat IP.BIN ; dd if=tmp.iso bs=2048 skip=16) > data.raw
cdrecord dev=IODVDServices -multi -xa1 data.raw

What does isofix do? Is it similar to scramble.c? Looking around, I found this:
http://www.dcemulation.org/mactools.htm which has what says is isofix for OS X... But nothing that actually say what it does, just when to use it.

Assuming that's not someone beating you to the punch, if you think I could be of any help, just point me in the right direction & I'll take a look at stuff, see what I can do. If coding's involved, I'm good w/Cocoa, I'm terrible with pointers and bytes. (that is, I tend to be better the further away from the machine I am)

-greay
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by pb2ya »

...I still cant find make. I went to apple's developer section, you have to pay or something to register and download the file, but they also explained a way to install make off of the OSX install disk... from what I've seen, you can't install make without re-installing the OS :(.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

pb2ya wrote:...I still cant find make. I went to apple's developer section, you have to pay or something to register and download the file, but they also explained a way to install make off of the OSX install disk... from what I've seen, you can't install make without re-installing the OS :(.
all you have to do when using toast 6 thats different is where you select the burning style "Multitrac CD-ROM XA". Then after you burn the first session, remove the fixed.iso file from the toast 'list' so it doesnt get burnt again. :!:
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by pb2ya »

I.M. Weasel wrote:
pb2ya wrote:...I still cant find make. I went to apple's developer section, you have to pay or something to register and download the file, but they also explained a way to install make off of the OSX install disk... from what I've seen, you can't install make without re-installing the OS :(.
all you have to do when using toast 6 thats different is where you select the burning style "Multitrac CD-ROM XA". Then after you burn the first session, remove the fixed.iso file from the toast 'list' so it doesnt get burnt again. :!:
13th CD-R wasted >_<
It will not let me burn header.iso on to the disk, even when I select "Multitrac CD-ROM XA." After I have burnt fixed.iso, the cd is displayed as "not writable." It still wont work. I guess toast finalizes the CD without me asking. How do I burn in write mode?

Damn this is frustrating.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Huhh.. Again, I don't have toast, so I can't help you there. In the meantime: you have Panther, so you should have gotten the Developer Tools on CD. It's the last CD, the only white one. Install that (You'll get XCode, too). make and gcc and everything else fink might want will be on there.

Once that's done, you should be able to install cdrecord no problem. Then you should be all set - and hopefully, you can find out where the problem lies with Toast, as well, so you have an alternative method, as well.
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by pb2ya »

Sorry to be even more difficult, but I downloaded Panther from Apple's site (legally), I dont know how that was when I first got my mac. So, I dont have the disc, and if I want to install anything from it, I'm pretty sure I have to install the OS. :(
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

no, there's another way - go to http://developer.apple.com/membership/online.html
you do have to register, but you can register for a FREE online ADC account. Once you do that, you can log in and download the Developer Tools. Actually, scratch that - they've started calling it "XCode Tools" but that's what you want, and GNU make should be included on it.

(I ended up signing up as a student and paying for the student membership, but I started with the free account; that's how I got XC^H^HProject Builder and all that stuff before they started including it with Panther)
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by pb2ya »

Thanks so much, Ive found the developer tools, I'll get back to you guys once I've burned the cd.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I just got my hands on T6 and yes, Multitrack CD-ROM XA is in there

1. Go to Copy at the top of the main window
2. Select Multitrack CD-ROM XA
3. Select your first image
4. Click Burn
5. Go under the "Advanced" tab and deselect "Close Disc"
6. After track 1 is completed, select your second one and go to Recorder:Recorder Settings... and select "Close Disc"
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by pb2ya »

Close disc was the problem :(
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Still having trouble? Well, first off, what sort of problem? Did you get an error msg (and what was it)?

Anyway, have you had any luck or trouble w/doing it from the command line? Our purpose is to get you a self-booting emu under any circumstances. :wink:
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

The problem was that Roxio changed some stuff around in their program from older versions. Figuring out where all of the features I'd come to know and love had gone has been a lengthy process.