Which emulator will the contest concentrate on?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

The contest should try to focus on which emulator?

PC Engine
30%
wonderswan
2%
NeoGeo CD
No votes
Genesis
39%
SNES
14%
neo geo pocket
No votes
GBA
5%
Playstation
11%
3DO
No votes
Philips CD-i
No votes

Total votes: 44
Cmtz
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which emulator will the contest concentrate on?

Post by Cmtz »

Which emu would you like to see. And how much would you donate?

I think that if enough people donate $2 we will have a good amount of money.
Cmtz
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Cmtz »

I would donate 30 dollars
Duff Man said he would donate 20 dollars

So far there's 50 dollars in the bank.
Rigor Mortis
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rigor Mortis »

There's no x86/DOS option!!!!!

Ah well, second choice would be Genesis or SNES, but they're already being worked on..... Therefore I will choose the PC Engine.

As to how much I donate, I'll have to wait for a while and see what's left in my monthly budget....
Win95, noun: A 32 bit patch for a 16 bit GUI for an 8 bit OS running on a 4 bit processor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

I'll give ya 50 bucks if you can get me a full speed playstation emulator with full sound and four player support :P
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I'd have to say Genesis or PS. Problem with Playstation is that I don't think any homebrew emu is ever going to reach fullspeed. However, something that feels fullspeed would be outstanding... but again, I don't know that it is possible. Genesis emulation looks to be coming along nicely, so I see full speed Genesis emulation as being inevitable, but still look forward to it a lot.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Man, The frustrating thing is that there already is a full-speed playstation emulator that will never see the light of day!

And whatever happened to the already worked on PC engine?

Anyway, I'll throw in 10 quid.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

What you need is the backing of people Like Lik Sang and others to make a proper coding Competition.
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

WRAGGSTER wrote:What you need is the backing of people Like Lik Sang and others to make a proper coding Competition.
Thats not to hard just ask them. Im sure there will jump at the chance .

ice88 wrote:Man, The frustrating thing is that there already is a full-speed playstation emulator that will never see the light of day!

And whatever happened to the already worked on PC engine?

Anyway, I'll throw in 10 quid.

Yeah Fustration is key to this scene.

Thou This contest might just get some pc authors porting there emu's or making a dreamcast version and not just an xbox or gp32 version.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

ice88 wrote:Man, The frustrating thing is that there already is a full-speed playstation emulator that will never see the light of day!
Yeah. :(

Anyway, it doesn't have to be limited to new emulators, does it? A vastly improved existing emu could be a good entry.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

I'm thinking if you're going ahead with this, the best way to run it would to be to pick one system, then decide on whether the contest entry would be a port, and then make sure all of the entries are using the same original source.

That's the only way I can see to make it fair
karter74
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by karter74 »

I don't think anyone will do the GBA because it is still a current system, which is why the author of the rumored GBA emulator was never released. Playstation would be great, but considering all the work Rand had to put in and the length of time, I doubt that even 4 months of 1 coder doing it will come close to the results Bleemcast! had. I put my vote for SNES, Chronotrigger is great!
HOLY CRAP!
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

PC Engine, and I would gladly give $10. We should also have someone put a few neat video game releated things on ebay. Possibly even a fund raising drive?
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

PC Engine with Super CD support would be fantastic, Perhaps if you guys are serious about paying for an emulator it might be worth contacting the Magic Engine coders as they charge for the PC version (and its the best PC Engine emulator going) so they have very good first hand experience.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

If I still have $10 by the end of this contest I'll throw it in :P
It's thinking...
Lavalord
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Lavalord »

VIRTUAL BOY!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Why has nobody suggested something that isn't an emulator? Like a proper Super Video CD player?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

az_bont wrote:Why has nobody suggested something that isn't an emulator? Like a proper Super Video CD player?
Because if you'll look at what the thread is about, they want to make an emulator contest.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Ender wrote:
az_bont wrote:Why has nobody suggested something that isn't an emulator? Like a proper Super Video CD player?
Because if you'll look at what the thread is about, they want to make an emulator contest.
I realise that. I'm enquiring as to why nobody suggested that money be raised for something other than an emulator during the initial planning stages.

The whole idea behind it is that the prospect of some hard cash will entice some homebrew developers to produce better software, and I think that a SVCD player is one of the few things that many people would want on their Dreamcast regardless of what other hardware they own that is capable of playing SVCDs, unlike emulators, for which many people would much sooner use their Xboxes than fork out cash for something that they can already achieve on another piece of equipment.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
blasfemaz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by blasfemaz »

Lavalord wrote:VIRTUAL BOY!
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

az_bont wrote:I realise that. I'm enquiring as to why nobody suggested that money be raised for something other than an emulator during the initial planning stages.
Read the other thread