PC-Engine/TurboGrafx emulation?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
D-Boy
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PC-Engine/TurboGrafx emulation?

Post by D-Boy »

There hasn't been any word (that I've seen) that Bill Nagel's emulator is still in progress. Are there any other projects in the works?

It's really surprising that one of the first systems to be emulated really well on PC is one of the last anyone is attempting for Dreamcast, especially with all the tech info on it. The specs are so similar to the level of the NES, it seems like a system Dreamcast actually stands a chance of emulating at full speed with sound.

Not to mention the $210 price tag of actually buying the real system makes emulation a much more viable avenue to play your cheap SCDs, compared to Genesis/SNES systems which are $7 in any pawn shop in the USA :?
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

PC Engine would be an excellent emulator to have finished. The system was way ahead of it's time and had a great line up of quality games that left other 8 bits in the shade.

It might be slightly harder to emulate than NES, but what I can tell you is that MESS supports it.

So, is there any chance of someone porting the MESS code for a PC Engine build?
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
D-Boy
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by D-Boy »

The problem with that being MESS is much like my cat -- built for comfort, not for speed. I think it would take some serious rewriting to get and decent performance out of it on the Dreamcast (I doubt it would be any better than Bill's last release which was 80% speed with no sound), and at that point, you'd be better off writing something from scratch for the DC. :cry:

Maybe some day Takayama Fumihiko will work on one. It seems like everything he touches instantly ends up running full speed, with sound, at 90% compatability. And given all the similarities to the NES, I'd think a native Dreamcast emulation core would be a snap for it. I thought the machine has been fairly well documented by the Magic Engine author and others.

In fact, if memory serves me correctly (though often it doesn't), there was actually talk of Magic Engine being ported to DC, though that got canned right around when Sega deep-sixed the machine in the USA.
FlashPV
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FlashPV »

Hu-go! is a great PC engine emulator. It's portable and open source.
I'm wondering why nobody tried to make a Dreamcast port?
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

You guys totally speak the truth. I love the PCE/TG-16. I'm not much of a programmer, but full speed/sound PCE on DC seems totally possible.

I truly hope one of you Dreamcast Dev Rockstars takes up this cause. It would be totally worth your time. :D
D-Boy
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by D-Boy »

Yeah, it's the last of the great 8-bit systems that haven't been emulated at a level you could really call playable (if you interpret playable to mean anything resembling the actual game, not just running without crashing).

HuCard and CD emulation would be amazing on the Dreamcast. Getting to play great games like Dracula X, Ys I&II, IV, and the Neutopia Series off the PC would really kick ass.