I can't believe this! anyone please confirm!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Ian Micheal »

DirtySanchez wrote:I wasn't saying that the compiler is simply reason that a SNES emu worked/didn't work. But saying that you're using the same compiler on two different chips because they both say "GCC" is like saying two cars are the same because they both say "Ford"...

I don't think anyone was blaming the compiler as the sole reason for difficulty, just as one of many. And you do have to admit that ARM coders are a lot more abundant than SH4 coders, hence the talent you speak of (which is completely correct) is more likely when more people are doing it.
Yes agreed. Your correct on that. Basics are the same but it is like 2 models some times it could be like a V8 VS V6 ford. Ive found that the Sh4 compiler side of GCC not to be that bad at all. ARM coders are a lot more on the ground hence there has to be a bit more talent or a more talented people out there Just from more people doing it.

ShadowofBob wrote:
Sh4 compiler Gcc is the same one sega used in the katana kit. So people complain about it but really its there programing style.
Didn't the DC Dev Kits use a compiler by Hitachi that is produces less errors than the GCC one?

Katana kit did have a Hitachi compiler, but it really is not as nice as GCC. And on there own tests hardly any faster on a benchmark. Ive compile the benchmark example in katana with both GCC and Hitachi compiler GCC won the benchmark. It has both it was your choice to use ether the GNU or Hitachi compiler. But if you have the kit it's easy to see there really was nothing between them.On video benchmark fps were higher using GCC compiler.

Ive found the Hitachi compiler to be a pain you have to code in a style its not normal or easyer to code for You have to learn to do a few things you dont have to for GCC.

In the katana kit GCC was only up to 2.9-SYSDEV-sh4p2_final-991007

Did you know how they tested GCC for dreamcast (We run it through c-torture and recompile DOOM 32x.). Strange dont you think.

Any-way there would be a lot of problems bring fullspeed snes emulation to dreamcast but it will be done.
Dreamcast forever!!!
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by karsten »

Ian Micheal wrote: Have to face facts the guy who won the contest is talented or is using coding hacking. Underclocking sprite skiping etc.It should Give you an idea that zero frame skip it crashes on some games. You know thats not the case on snes9x code so your looking at some non normal timing and hacking to the timer. I know most of my emulators i put out ports have the same problem.

*CUT*

Speed is not what the dreamsnes team were after any way it was a proper emulation. I would think if there happy with it the speed will be brought up.

I very much doubt the compiler is making the speed for the author. I would saying cpu core hacking, hacked timing, sprite and layer skipping.
So after all the coder used some "tricks"... makes me wonder why nobody tryied it on the DC to get better speed emulation.

having 0 frameskip is useless if you ran games without sound at 50% speed

by the way, if the guy who coded that emu releases the sources could it be ported to DC?
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well It should be most Gp32 ports are quiet portable to the dreamcast. You have to make changes to the video and sound and control.
Dreamcast forever!!!