I can't believe this! anyone please confirm!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I can't believe this! anyone please confirm!

Post by karsten »

Taken from zophar domain:
Emulator Release: OpenSnes9xGP v0.1
2:38: As a result of (winning) GBAx's "Another 15 Days Coding Competition", a Super Nintendo emulator for the GP32 is now publicly available and is receiving rave reviews. This is basically a port of SNES9x to the GP32 handheld, with coding headed by yoyofr. There really isn't a feature list anywhere, but it does have full speed SNES emulation. There are a few bugs when playing on frame skip 0 and SuperFX will not start, but it's a must-have for every GP32 owner.

Get it at the Emulators for GamePark32 page!
WOW!, I mean even the GP32 got fullspeed snes emulation?

if it is true means 2 things:

1) I need a GP32 :roll:
2) Someone should port a new snes emu, since the DC is vastly superior to the GP32[/url]
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Um yeah me thinks someone should port it over so people can quit bugging the dreamsnes authors about releasing their emu.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

From early compatibility lists it would seem that with a certain amount of frameskip, most games run at fullspeed, and a little more frameskipping or accepted speed-loss will give you proper sound as well: http://www.emuboards.com/cgi-bin/ikonbo ... f=9;t=8391

If this is what can be done in 15 days, I definately want to see what work can be done on it over the coming months :).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Wow, I was thinking of getting one when a nice SNES emu came out on it so now I have no excuse :P
aruceid
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by aruceid »

GP32 is a little wonder.

The potential of that system is amazing.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

mattthemodder wrote:Wow, I was thinking of getting one when a nice SNES emu came out on it so now I have no excuse :P
I'm going to give it a, little time to see if it can mature any more - I doubt it can manage FFVI or Chrono Trigger at fullspeed with sound just quite yet.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
runkthepunk
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by runkthepunk »

hello i just downloaded it and it is the best snes emu on the machine but i can't overclock mine if i try to put it at 156 or 166 it just freezes for some reason :? so its running at 133 its bit slow but the sounds miles better can't wait for a new release of this little beauty :D
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

runkthepunk wrote:hello i just downloaded it and it is the best snes emu on the machine but i can't overclock mine if i try to put it at 156 or 166 it just freezes for some reason :? so its running at 133 its bit slow but the sounds miles better can't wait for a new release of this little beauty :D
This is why I'm worried about getting a GP32 - I don't want to end up with one that I can't overclock :(.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I don't want to end up with one that I can't overclock
Im not even sure if I want to overclock :? Better do some reading up, oh yeah and some saving up :lol:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

mattthemodder wrote:
I don't want to end up with one that I can't overclock
Im not even sure if I want to overclock :? Better do some reading up, oh yeah and some saving up :lol:
There was a topic on a GP32 forum a few months back where somebody left his GP32 overclocked playing a game for over 24 hours with absolutely no effect on it at all.

The theory was that it would fry the screen, as overclocking overclocks the etnire system and not just the processor, but he proved it wrong.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I don't think I can get a GP32 in Australia
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Someone should port a new snes emu, since the DC is vastly superior to the GP32
no it isnt the gp32 about the same power
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Sickliquid86 wrote:

Your joking right ?

If your not who has been telling you lies?
Dreamcast is so much more powerfull then it like chalk and cheese

If the dreamcast had feeling it be crying after being told it is only as power full as a 133mhz handheld.

HITACHI SH-4 CPU Vs PENTIUM II
Specifically developed for Sega for use in the Dreamcast console, the SH-4 is a superscalar CPU that can execute multiple tasks in the same clock cycle. Highly proficient in Floating Point calculations (the calculations necessary for fast 3D), the Dreamcast can produce 7 Floating point operations per cycle, for a total performance of 1400 Million Floating point operations per second (FLOPS). In comparison with a Pentium II 450 CPU, which can generate 450 Million FLOPS, the SH-4 is over 3 times more powerful

I think the person giving you info on what the dreamcast is and how powerfull it is need to read up 200mhz clock speed on the dreamcast does not tell you Hey it can only do what a 200 mhz Cpu chip can do.

I leave out that the 3d grafix power of the dreamcast still is not matched in areas by pc cards or Xbox or GC or PS2 right now

The first graphics chip to deliver full-scene anti aliasing

Gp32 is no were near close to it. Wash your mouth out lol

Dreamcasts sh4 chip = 1400 Million FLOPS
Pentium II 450mhz = 450 Million FLOPS
Gp32 32-bit RISC CPU (ARM9) = 200 MIPS

Mhz is not winning is it?
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Ian Micheal wrote:
Sickliquid86 wrote:

Your joking right ?

If your not who has been telling you lies?
Dreamcast is so much more powerfull then it like chalk and cheese

If the dreamcast had feeling it be crying after being told it is only as power full as a 133mhz handheld.

HITACHI SH-4 CPU Vs PENTIUM II
Specifically developed for Sega for use in the Dreamcast console, the SH-4 is a superscalar CPU that can execute multiple tasks in the same clock cycle. Highly proficient in Floating Point calculations (the calculations necessary for fast 3D), the Dreamcast can produce 7 Floating point operations per cycle, for a total performance of 1400 Million Floating point operations per second (FLOPS). In comparison with a Pentium II 450 CPU, which can generate 450 Million FLOPS, the SH-4 is over 3 times more powerful

I think the person giving you info on what the dreamcast is and how powerfull it is need to read up 200mhz clock speed on the dreamcast does not tell you Hey it can only do what a 200 mhz Cpu chip can do.

I leave out that the 3d grafix power of the dreamcast still is not matched in areas by pc cards or Xbox or GC or PS2 right now

The first graphics chip to deliver full-scene anti aliasing

Gp32 is no were near close to it. Wash your mouth out lol

Mhz is not winning is it?
ugh i was told gp32 was 186 mhz that is what i went on eek :P sorry I apoligize :D
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

No worrys really even if it was 186 mhz it would still not be as power-full dreamcast has a sh4 chip 200mhz on it is more powerfull then 450mhz on a Pentium II on some things like what i posted

Example

Gp32 32-bit RISC CPU (ARM9) = 200 MIPS

dreamcast could do snes emulation almost asleep if done and written for the target cpu.
Dreamcast forever!!!
SGT Killjoy
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by SGT Killjoy »

I would not get the GP32. The Tapwave Zodiac, while expensive, is like the GP32, but 100 times better. Keep an eye on the Zodiac emulation scene.
hobo-jo
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by hobo-jo »

Sickliquid86 wrote: I leave out that the 3d grafix power of the dreamcast still is not matched in areas by pc cards or Xbox or GC or PS2 right now
you are joking right?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

That is infact true in some cases. Hobo-jo hard for your to beleive it is fact. the pvr3d hardware in the dreamcast can still do some tricks none of the others can do even to this day. Specs Dont allways mean more power. There are some hardware rendering effect the dreamcast can do that nothing can yet .
Dreamcast forever!!!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

There are some hardware rendering effect the dreamcast can do that nothing can yet .
DC ROCKS! :hugs his DC: :mrgreen:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

after ian's post i'm even more perplexed.
How can GP32 have such a fine emu while dreamcast seems to not get that well?

is a matter of programming tools? or maybe the emulator coder (other than being a good one indeed) used some dirty tricks?

can be some of this tricks be used on DC?
The emu fakes sound, maybe?
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com