DC Movie Player released

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by OneThirty8 »

I think I read last night that it only works with RealMedia 9. I could be wrong about that, though.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

wow VERY impressive. VCD's look sharp! noticed more .AVI's can be played. great work, i look forward to seeing more!
*The Cadillac of signatures*
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

hmmm, I don't know whether to call you a legend or.... well, God. ;) You are Brilliant Bero.... just brilliant.... *Worships his new master* :D
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

OneThirty8 wrote:I think I read last night that it only works with RealMedia 9. I could be wrong about that, though.
I thought I had realmedia working yesterday but it turned out to just be a mpg file :oops:
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

I told ya just a few minutes ago Bero, great work and truly appreciated. I don't have a chance to test this right now but believe I will as soon as possible.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
dwmcqueen
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dwmcqueen »

Please, oh please, can someone do a DiscJuggler imager (for us Mac users?)
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Please, oh please, can someone do a DiscJuggler imager (for us Mac users?)
There is one at Dreamcast Homebrew.
karter74
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by karter74 »

Well I must say this has got to be one of the best releases ever with its broad support of files. Is there any plan for support for RM files in the future?
HOLY CRAP!
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

/me bows down before Bero
Thancks a lot , im watching the goonies atm in divx, no skip, neither vid nor sound

:)

please reelase a version without the test version at the top soon
ImageImage
dwmcqueen
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dwmcqueen »

Yeah...looks wonderful...wonder what the limits are?
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Quicktime: Ones that did play played audio fine, but video had trouble keeping up and had lots of artifacts

Divx: High Res looks really nice and is very close to playable. Audio and video stutter

MPEG: MPEG from my new Linkin Parl CD plays fine with a few frame drops ad audio stutters

VCD/SVCD: mine wouldn't play any single track VCD/SCVD's because it said they weren't iso_9660 compliant, Multitrack ones worked fine and exhibited similar problems to the MPEG files

All the movies I played had no desyncing at all.

It actually played my reencoded divx(2000 kbps 128 kbps audio) super high res(1000x540) Matrix Trailer(abiet ver slowly).

I haven't got any of my RM files to play and the only quicktime movies that opened were from my Offspring Conspiracy of Once CD(not sure what version). Newer Quicktime movies refuse to open.

My music video's encoded at 352x240 128 kbps MP3 Stero and 1500 kbps Divx all played well with only a little stuttering. :D
Kilokahn
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kilokahn »

You are the man, Bero!

Chris
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

I have a few questions... Do you have to reeconde divx or any other media formats in order to be played on this new player? Or can you just pop in a disc that has avis and mpegs and have them play ok?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

It's played every avi, mpg and vcd I've thrown at it, but all of my avis were encoded for DCDivX with fairly low res and bitrates. Standard VCD or similarly encoded MPG files will play but will stutter. Based on what I've had time to test myself and what others have said, it seems that like DCDivX, the more you lower the quality of your movie the better your chances of it playing smooth. This goes for avi and mpg/vcd. I tried a non-standard VCD (same resolution, much lower bitrate) and it played pretty much perfectly. Tried the same VCD with XingHong just for the hell of it, and it was terrible.
dwmcqueen
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

DCDivx

Post by dwmcqueen »

I did notice that one movie I encoded for DCDivx that stuttered worked flawlessly on this (I think I encoded it at 700kbps). However, any CD that had a long filename or was perhaps Multi-session was not recognized. I also hope this has the ability to read the latest XVID codec, as that is the only way I can encoded divx on my Mac.

I also noticed that when you insert a CD you have to wait for it to spin-up before you press "Y" for change CD. Otherwise you can't see the contents.
Darkfalz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Darkfalz »

I was really happy with the DC image viewer released a few days ago, but I was absolutely floored when I saw this. This is a VERY promising project and of all of Bero's excellent work this is the one I most hope he works on.

Things played jerkily, with a quick frame rate followed by a brief pause (and sound breakup) but I'm impressed to see these things playing at all. The picture quality is better than Gypplay already (I suspect Bero is decoding to native YUY2 - great!), but it was a little sad to see that even MPEG-1 played jerkily. It gives me hope though that the DC is really powerful enough to do MPEG-4 formats... and WwMV support is also a god send. One DivX movie I tried played perfectly though, and it was a 30 fps encode. I was amazed.

DivX 5.0 with B-frames looked glitchy after a few frames though, heavy and corrupt looking blocking.

Also, Bero needs to incorporate proper aspect ratio handling, for example a 352x240 or 352x288 video should both play back at full screen 4:3.

But for a first test version it's nevertheless AMAZING, even if you can't really play back any file fluidly yet.

Bero you rule, for keeping the scene alive.
Spiderman_00
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spiderman_00 »

I keep getting

"Unexpected Exception" when I try and burn it...

:(
The artist formerly known as DreamTheater420

SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

This thing plays asf files flawlessly regardless of file size! I tried to play devilman and beavis and butthead (roughly 30-50 megs an ep) and they played pretty well. I think someone should start a topic of what works really well with beros player and what doesn't.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

EXellent Bero!

My DivX`s encoded at 850 bps play flawlessly! (DC divX used to stutter after 45mins)

VCD`s are just about there. bero says that he is to work on syncing and this is the onlything thats stopping VCD`s and high res (640 480) div x`s being ok. It seems to me that Bero isnt using any buffers (or small ones at that), and once he does Im sure we will see potential speedups (but its the syncing problems that are the biggy atm).

(remeber its not worth using divx`s higher than that resolution as thats as far as the DC can go).

Spiderman_00 your error is because you need the latest version of Nero.

Cheers
Q
Propeller
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Propeller »

As a computer engineerer, I can say that I give this project a 10 out of 10. Well conceived, well designed... good work, dude