Crt0's Genesis Emu?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Crt0's Genesis Emu?

Post by DuffMan » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:42 pm

Is this emu still being made? Or did he cancel because of people asking him to release it?
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:26 pm

i have no clue. everybody quits for some dumb reason and dreamsnes is the only emu to even get OK sound and DECENT speed.
:fight: :ninja:

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:35 pm

Jessman will you STFU and quit Bitchin?
You are the reason that People like him want to quit making emulators.
Saying that Dcgen isnt worth burning a cd for WTF is your problem?
you didnt make the emu and if you did you wouldnt want people calling your stuff crap.
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:38 pm

heres the reply to your reply in the Dcgen thread
MetaFox wrote:I don't see you coding a Genesis emulator, so shut the hell up.

I'm sick and tired of you little pricks that think that the whole world owes you everything.

You wonder why DCGen isn't getting many updates anymore - it's because I'm sick of catering to you whiners who just complain when a new release is out.

This version is worst than the last - It's still slow - It has no sound - It's buggy as hell - It freezes. Waawaawaa.

Get it in your mind that emulators are beta software created for fun for free by coders using thier spare time. No one owes you anything. Free software is a priveledge, not a right.

atani created a magnifecent piece of software. If that smash pack rip wasn't around he'd be getting more respect for DCGen.

Smash Pack was made by Sega - with first hand knowledge of the Genesis - using official devkits and official hardware.

Generator was reverse engineered for the PC - then ported to KOS by atani. With no help from Sega, no official devkits, no official hardware.

He ported it for fun, then decided to grace us all with a release. He could have kept it for himself, he didn't owe us anything, but he chose to release it for everyone to enjoy. Show some respect.
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:04 am

If people can't handle the emulation scene or negative feedback they should just not even attempt doing it.Whiners and complainers and idiots come with the territory and if you can't handle it and brush it off you should just quit. These things are a part of the emulaton scene and always will be.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:31 am

I dont know why you guys keep asking. They get mad every single time and I would think you would get it by now. Listen the release will come when he thinks its ready. He is doing this for free so you can't demand it. It will come some day, maybe if you stop asking and start supporting he will put a little more time.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:47 am

If people can't handle the emulation scene or negative feedback they should just not even attempt doing it.
:roll:

How would you feel if you've been working on something for yourself for a couple of months, decide to release it so that the rest of the world can see it, and some idiot says to you "it's crap - it's not even worth a CD"? Most of the developers, including myself, are doing this because we want to, not because other people want us to. If you then have a load of idiots whining and complaining about everything, it gets very frustrating - enough to make most coders seriously consider either not releasing anything again, or stop doing it completely.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
Been liked: 10 times

Post by MetaFox » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:56 am

law56ker wrote:If people can't handle the emulation scene or negative feedback they should just not even attempt doing it.
I'm not going to stop releasing anything because of some comments - but that doesn't mean that I have to brush the comments off.

Believe it or not, not all coders will sit silently and let thier work be whittled down to pigshit - although there are some coders who do brush it off - and I admire them. I have no idea how anyone can take post after post of constant bashing.

Just search for DCGen in this forum - almost every thread about it has a derogatory remark about the emulator.

I'm not sitting back and letting DCGen threads go to hell because of people bashing it anymore. If an author wants to speak thier mind they have the right to. This also comes with the territory, and if you can't handle it, then you should just quit.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:50 am

I'm not saying that any of the critisizm is right or justified of course it isn't, programming and ported stuff on the dreamcast is very complicated and most of the people that enjoy dcemulation whouldn't have a clue of how to even start to do it. But you must realize there are ignorant and unimformed people who come on here and don't understand how hard and complex the work is. This individuals say things that are stupid and mean sometimes it's intentional but more times I think it is just plain ignorance on the subject and or dissapointment. But I'm sure this will and always has been the way any emulation scene is and always will be, so either you have to rise above that crap and do the best job you can or just quit. Whatever your want to do is the most important thing. Don't forget there are many people who praise everyones work because they "understand" the difficulty and great accomplisments that each dever accomplishes. Those people opinions are the most important ones to listen too. I understand how it must feel when you work so hard then someone says your work is crap, but guess what they are wrong. Things like this occur all situations in life from dc deve to sports fans. Some use it as a reason to quit and some use as it as inspiration to prove those indivduals wrong.
FlashPV
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FlashPV » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:17 am

The fact is that Generator is far to be the best Genesis emulator for PC. :evil:
The problem is just that's the only one to be open source AND portable.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:56 am

I have no idea what to tell you guys. Many of you seem misinformed, but it was actually a pair-programming project, and the other part of the pair hasn't been involved much for a long time (packed-up DC/BBA, no time/motivation to unpack, etc). This leaves me with either engineering a bunch of changes by myself (pretty much unfeasible since the stuff that still needs work is stuff I don't understand at all but the other coder does), or letting it slide, as it has for a while. Gen-emu pretty much works; some scrolling-modes are broken (that's what I was talking about above), and it's god-awful slow (1/4 speed, also fixable by some of those major changes noted above). Could I release it? Yes. Would it be worth it (nevermind just to me)? Probably not. The people who have played it say it's great, and we all agree on what is left to be done. Speed. Until that is there, there's no point in wasting my time.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:47 am

BlackAura wrote:
If people can't handle the emulation scene or negative feedback they should just not even attempt doing it.
:roll:

How would you feel if you've been working on something for yourself for a couple of months, decide to release it so that the rest of the world can see it, and some idiot says to you "it's crap - it's not even worth a CD"? Most of the developers, including myself, are doing this because we want to, not because other people want us to. If you then have a load of idiots whining and complaining about everything, it gets very frustrating - enough to make most coders seriously consider either not releasing anything again, or stop doing it completely.

If a devver or coder gets upset by what a 12-year old that they don't even know says, then they're doing it for the wrong reasons.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:47 am

Even if you don't care, it's not always possible to totally ignore it. Of course, there are some coders who do care, but I really don't know why.

crt0 - Who was the other coder, and what kind of stuff is it that needs work?
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:49 am

The other coder was Sayten.
No signature.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:14 pm

Most coders do care because they put lots of time and a lot effort, then when they finnaly do it some guy who did NOTHING says it sucks. I think you would be mad also.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:30 pm

Most coders do care because they put lots of time and a lot effort, then when they finnaly do it some guy who did NOTHING says it sucks. I think you would be mad also.
actually i wouldn't. If i was to code an emulator or some other type of program, then i would do it for myself and not care what other people think. As long as i'm happy with what i did then it shouldn't matter what someone half-way across the world thinks, as long as i'm happy with what i did, and it should be the same way with all these other coders. Show some pride in your work instead of flaming back and making threats about leaving the emu scene. :x
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:02 pm

JoeyStyles66 wrote:
actually i wouldn't. If i was to code an emulator or some other type of program, then i would do it for myself and not care what other people think. As long as i'm happy with what i did then it shouldn't matter what someone half-way across the world thinks, as long as i'm happy with what i did, and it should be the same way with all these other coders. Show some pride in your work instead of flaming back and making threats about leaving the emu scene. :x
okay, make a program or anything and let us flame at it for about 4 months, I think you would get mad also.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:44 pm

Hey, devvers who get flames should consider themselves lucky...I didn't even get THAT! :P
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:22 pm

EvilSporkMan wrote:Hey, devvers who get flames should consider themselves lucky...I didn't even get THAT! :P
what did you make??
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:33 pm

I think that's his point. It was... Er... Um... Darn it! I can't remember the name of it. Sorry, EvilSporkMan.