NDC7.1+

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by toastman »

The Nester Saga (abridged)

Daniel Ranelli = Original author of Nester
Ken Friece = First port of Nester to the Dreamcast
Takayama Fumihiko = Incorporated Unofficial Nester into NesterDC, later became maintainer of the Official NesterDC.
Warmtoe = Added in Lightgun support to the latest NesterDC.

It's taken us 4 guys to get us where we are today. (Technically like 5 or 6, but I'm not sure who are the guys behind the Unofficial Nester and NNNesterJ, as Takayama used code from both projects (IIRC))
No signature.
BigJohn8411
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BigJohn8411 »

actually, im not sure how to do this....

i have a lightgun (official one), and 2 regular controllers.... i made a new nesterdc cd (warmtoe version)

but how do i get it to work when i select my controllers? i read the readme, but i still don't understand....

which controllers have to be in what ports?

i would appreciate it if someone could guide me here....

thank you,

John
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

toastman wrote:The Nester Saga (abridged)

Takayama Fumihiko = Incorporated Unofficial Nester into NesterDC, later became maintainer of the Official NesterDC.

It's taken us 4 guys to get us where we are today. (Technically like 5 or 6, but I'm not sure who are the guys behind the Unofficial Nester and NNNesterJ, as Takayama used code from both projects (IIRC))
I'm pretty sure Takayama Fumihiko made unofficial nester for PC also.
mychalhackman
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by mychalhackman »

nice job! :P
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

butters wrote:
toastman wrote:The Nester Saga (abridged)

I'm pretty sure Takayama Fumihiko made unofficial nester for PC also.
Since you got me curious I looked it up.
Takeda, Toshiya is Unofficial Nester and I couldn't find names for the other.
No signature.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

Alright, people are prolly gonna call me a n00b for this one, but here's the deal. I don't want Nester as an SBI. I want a Nester disc. Now I think that there's something somewhere for elf->bin but that still leaves me unable to put my own theme on, or add the ROMs to the disc. So what do I do?
bielecki
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bielecki »

extract SBI, use the bin inside, i think
BigJohn8411
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BigJohn8411 »

how do you use this????
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

IIRC, sbi is just a self-extracting zip file renamed. So rename the file with a .exe extension and then run it.
No signature.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I've not looked at SBI version 2, so I don't know if this still works, but it works for SBI version 1:

1 - Rename the SBI to EXE.

2 - Run the EXE. You'll get a directory called Inducer, with all the data inside.

3 - Delete the DXL file from that directory.

4 - Find the BIN file. It's probably called NESTERDC.BIN or something like that.

5 - Scramble that BIN file using a scrambler tool. There should be one on the main page (if you don't mind the pop ups) or maybe over at Consolevision.

6 - Rename your scrambled BIN to 1ST_READ.BIN

7 - Find a working IP.BIN file. You may as well use the one from NesterDC.

8 - Burn it as a normal plain-files disc.
bielecki
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bielecki »

and thats all it takes to self boot a disc? crikey, i thought you had to meddle with tracks and stuff, this is much easier than i imagined
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Some things...

Calibration:

Yeah, that's a tricky one - calibration - I know that some guns aim high and some low... I'll think about it some more.

Configuration:

If you plug the gun into Port A and a standard controller into Port B then the default configuration will be for the trigger (A button) and START button on the lightgun to be the trigger and start button for the NES gun. The standard controller just allows you to do all the 'nesterdc' things, like quit the current game (LTRIG+RTRIG+START).

Other stuff:

Personally I dislike the crosshair being drawn on the screen where the lightgun is 'pointing' - it's flickery because it's meant to be there for a mouse which is rock solid, where the gun 'wobbles'. Also I have improved the 'collision detection' stuff a bit. I have a new version of NDC7.1+ this time without an SBI - for some reason when I use the coders cable it works nicely, with an SBI I produced, the ducks in duck-hunt fly and stick on the right of the screen...

Anyway http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/warmtoe ... -7.1pb.zip.

Also included is a 'Lightgun.elf' which, if your lightgun doesn't work and you have a coders cable, I'd appreciate some output from - at the moment I don't know why some guns don't work and I am trying to work it out (for this aswell as bloop!)

-W-
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

I've been waiting for something like this!!!

duck hunt here i come!!

I LOVEU WARMTOE :D
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ChairFreak »

I made this account just to let WarmToe (was that his name) know that I appreciate his work. I have two madcatz guns and they work fine with this. I did notice however that the only way I could play duck hunt is with a standalone rom of duckhunt. I tried the super mario + duckhunt, and the the super mario + duckhunt + the running game(whatever it's called) and it doesn't work. In those two roms You can't even start the game. In a previous version of nester dc you could however open those. I don't know if that has to do with 7.1 or if that is just a problem with the + version. I was using 6.0 before I tried this version. Also the white marker is kind of annoying. However, YOU ARE THE FREAKIN' MAN. Great Job and thank you.
starless
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Ducks Flying to the Right

Post by starless »

I remember back with the original NES, a friend and I discovered one day that if one person is using the lightgun in Port #1 and a controller is plugged into Port #2, the 2nd player can slightly control the direction of the ducks by pushing left/right.

This may or may not explain why the ducks are drifting off to the Right when using NesterDC 7.1

Perhaps make sure port #2 isn't receiving any data or the x position is set to zero.

Hope this helps,
starless
zamac_man
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by zamac_man »

OMG
I was so wanting to play dunk hunt bad today, so I came here and what do I see :lol:
Problem is I do not have a gun, what gun should I buy?
It also sounds hard to do, I do not know if I am ready to try
bielecki
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bielecki »

ok right, i loaded it up from demo menu, noticed that there was no cursor onscreen this time(game is duck hunt btw), so i went ohhhhk, pressed start on the gun and it loaded a game, since the cursor was missing i wasnt sure if the gun was working, but low and behold, it did, in the previous release the trigger wouldnt work, now it does work, and the aiming seems pretty easy (could be cause of my small tv) but yep, spot on warmtoe, me and the missus are gunna have fun with this one
P.S used a MadCatz gun, Pal Dreamcast, worked sweet
Last edited by bielecki on Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheAgedGamer
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by TheAgedGamer »

First of all a BIG THANKS to Wormtoe for his efforts on this. I love light games and now I can play all those Nintendo classics on my DC.
I have (2) DC lightguns. The MadCatz works fine except it seems to fire only when you release the trigger? The Pelican does not work at all.
This was tried using the initial release with a SBI. Hope this helps. Again Kudos to Wormtoe for this.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Everyone that have used tried this new release please..say the gun you used and the results. Even the guys that posted above please so we can get some info on what works and what doesn't.
Gir Draxa
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Gir Draxa »

Greetings,

Intresting situation.

Please bear in mind that DUCK HUNT allows player 2 to steer the duck. So, if any light gun you plug in or pre-set configuration has it so that the gun influences player 2 controlers, you're going to see the duck do nothing but fly in a single direction. Additionally, this same setup will cause some games to crash.

On another subject, anyone want another release of APPLE II SOUL CAPTOR EMU? Took some time to process a few more discs for use with it. I can put some other discs, maybe some public domain games instead of just the basics.

Gir