Is Saturn possible to emulate on DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
SEGA
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SEGA »

edited by pavelbure.

that's not appropriate here.
Don't Fear The Toastman.

Jaded God
Delusional Saturn Fan
Delusional Saturn Fan

Post by Jaded God »

How mature are we?
dcuserhi
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dcuserhi »

Done. now what.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

Well, regardless of whether Saturn emulation is possible on Dreamcast, whoever wrote Panzer Dragoon Orta seems to have a decent Saturn emulator working on Xbox.(original Panzer Dragoon is unlockable)
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

EvilSporkMan wrote:Well, regardless of whether Saturn emulation is possible on Dreamcast, whoever wrote Panzer Dragoon Orta seems to have a decent Saturn emulator working on Xbox.(original Panzer Dragoon is unlockable)
could just be a port.
EvilSporkMan

Post by EvilSporkMan »

Xylene wrote:
EvilSporkMan wrote:Well, regardless of whether Saturn emulation is possible on Dreamcast, whoever wrote Panzer Dragoon Orta seems to have a decent Saturn emulator working on Xbox.(original Panzer Dragoon is unlockable)
could just be a port.
Either way, it was a waste of time...why play such a jerky game when you have Orta at your disposal? There are a few modifications to the game, but just the starting menu (i think), and based on my limited exposure to ROM(yes, I know it was on a CD) hacking, I'd say it could still be an emulator and would be more useful because they could stick Panzer Dragoon Saga in a future game.
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
gamedudex
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gamedudex »

well no there is no saturn emulator in panzer dragoon orta.....eventhough you can play the original panzer dragoon.....because they didn't emulate it...the ported it over to the xbox....

oh and on to this guy called sega......maybe and i hope when he said only 5 good saturn games, he means the 5 only games that was available for the netlink in the us....by the way to all of you with a saturn netlink...it kicks ass......no lag, no internet since its direct conect...if you have a friend with a saturn and the netlink and same netlink game in their system, you can calll them up using their phone number and then your in you play each other....and after your game you have a chat room for ou and your friend.........also come on saturn bomberman,,, its 10 -player bomberman, and is considered the best version of bomberman ever on anysystem, even the dreamcast one isn't as good its close but not the same..........i just need the rare datona usa for the netlink...its f'n hard to find...i need 2 copies....but not getting them now, because i'm buying a car.

oh and again to the so called sega fan who thinks that many games on saturn are on psx and dreamcast........ street fighter 3 double impact was far better on the sega satrun than the dreamcast even thogh they both was released at the same time in 1999 for dreamcast and saturn...i think it was the last official saturn game.....it used the 4 meg cart....so it made it played better...
DJ Samba D
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by DJ Samba D »

Totally off-topic here but does anyone else here think that SEGA is Eric from the IMRTech boards? Cos he seems to be a bit of an @ss at times like Eric over there is... :roll:

But anyway, there were some awesome games out for the Saturn, I was obsessed with Sega Touring Car Championship at one point in time... along with NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon Saga, even Steep Slope Sliders (and I've still got a PAL copy of Fighters Megamix somewhere if someone wants it?) So there were some awesome games out for it...
Jeeba Jabba, On Pinoy, wrote:First, Learn how to speak english and spell. Second, Yes you have the right of Freedom of Speech, So do I. I can get pissed at you're ignorant self for saying dumber things than Miko or Great One... Now thats low
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

i dont care who he is hes a edited
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Actually you might notice that both Eric and SEGA post at IMR Technology's ezBoard. And they have a healthy disliking of each other.
No signature.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

sorry for the naughty word toastman :(
SEGA
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SEGA »

Totally off-topic here but does anyone else here think that SEGA is Eric from the IMRTech boards? Cos he seems to be a bit of an @ss at times like Eric over there is...
Eric is in Canada im in New Orleans
Actually you might notice that both Eric and SEGA post at IMR Technology's ezBoard. And they have a healthy disliking of each other.
[edit]
Don't Fear The Toastman.

Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

HAHA.....*coughcough* this thread is pretty interesting. But I really wish I could have played the Saturn. I wanted one so badly but my parents would never get it for me. They said that they heard bad things about it so ignored all my pleads and got me a 32X (which was an expensive, worthless peice of poo). Isn't it funny how parents work? I wanted an SNES, they got me a Genesis. I wanted a Saturn they got me a 32X. I wanted a N64 they got me a PSX (which I really don't mind, PSX really was better IMO) But I'm thinking of getting a Saturn and some games from eBay some day to experience some classics (NIGHTS anyone?)
lux92886
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lux92886 »

I think Panzer is a port from the Windows version, that came with the original Diamond Monster 3D.
[insert lame signature here]
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Both Saturn and N64 were designed for 3D. This "not designed for 3D" stuff is almost as bad as the "CD-Rs will fry your DC because the spiral is the wrong way around" crap.

The N64 architecture is based on SGI hardware and software and features quite a few 3D titles; I'm baffled by the fact that anyone thinks it was designed primarily for 2D gaming.

As far as I know (not being a Sega insider), the Saturn was designed from the ground up for strong 2D and 3D. The popular story goes that Saturn was designed primarily for 2D, but a "3D chip" was hastily added after Sony demoed the PSX. People seem to want to believe this myth because Saturn has scores of killer 2D arcade ports. The fact that it also has games like Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Nights: Into Dreams, Burning Rangers, Tomb Raider, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic R, Daytona USA, and Grandia seems to escape these folks. You also probably won't hear them remarking that Saturn was the original target platform for Shenmue and Sonic Adventure. However, there seems to be a kernel of truth to the rumor - apparently there was a PSX demo that made Sega's new console look like a joke, but according to someone with more than a passing interest in Sega's history, that console was entirely replaced by Saturn. His story is much more plausible than the one that says Sega's engineers managed to hastily add a "3D chip" with poorly-defined capabilities to a system as complex and powerful as Saturn.
Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

Sickliquid86 wrote:Panzer Dragoon Saga
PZ ZWEI
Shining Force
Metal Slug
Albert Odyssey
Samurai Shodown 3
Fighters Megamix
Golden Axe the Duel
Duke Nukem 3d
Dead Or Alive
Resident Evil
Street Fighter Alpha 1
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Zero 3
Dungeons and Dragons Collection
House of The Dead
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua On
Beyond Oasis
RADIANT SILVERGUN!!!!!
That is way more than five and thats not even a quarter of the good games, maybe you and I should switch games cuz you are not much of a sega fan, Sega.
Dead or Alive?
Umm....

Were the breasts seperate sprites?
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Boshi wrote: Dead or Alive?
Umm....
With the ridiculous amonut of animation that they had, they practically were seperate. :o :)
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

DeGamer wrote:
Boshi wrote: Dead or Alive?
Umm....
With the ridiculous amonut of animation that they had, they practically were seperate. :o :)
Tecmo actually had a complete team dedicated to getting the jiggle right :o , wonder how big the jiggle dev team is for DOAX, those wacky Japs :wink:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
LyonHrt
Princess LyonHrt
Princess LyonHrt

Post by LyonHrt »

Just my imput to this iccle discussion :lol:
You know the saturn on the dc Might be a possibility, as the dc is a sh4 based console, where as the saturn is sh2.
Now sh4 is backwardly compatible with sh2, obviously you still have the custom chips to emulate etc, but it does make you wonder if it can be done.

You can read the sh4 specs here.

Oh and who remembers this :o
archived one
Just call me princess :)
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

LyonHrt wrote:Oh and who remembers this :o
archived one