New Megadrive (genesis) emulator for Dc next soon

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by atf487 »

Wasgo wrote:Mmm...breathe in that stench of death. Any time a forum starts turning every topic into an excuse to bitch, whine and moan at each other this much... and spends this much time proclaiming faith in a random person, who's not established or anything. Well, you just gotta love it. Fact is, most releases now are minor and barely even get discussed. Only crap like this does. The dcemu scene may not be dead, but it sure has stagnated to the point of damnation.
Was just going to post something like this.

I stopped caring for the sk3n3 because of bitching and moaning, a lot like this thread. I don't even use my DC anymore, it's a waste really.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Why are people going to doubt somebody when they say they're working on something just because you don't know who they are? If he says he's got something then I want to see it when it's ready for a release.

OK, maybe there are a lot of emulators that people claimed to be working on that didn't see the light of day. Certainly that N64 emu I read about where the guy claimed you would have to plug the DC into your computer via a coder's cable or BBA or whatever it was he said, that was surely BS. But why not give this guy the benefit of the doubt? If you act like he's full of BS when he's not, he might just get pissed off and give up. If he's actually got something that maybe is not even 100% perfect but it's decent enough and he feels like people want to see what he's got, he ought to be encouraged.

You've got nothing to lose, and if he really is working on a playable MegaDrive emulator, which I for one would love to see, then more power to him, I wish him all the luck in the world with it.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

You don't give him the benefit of the doubt if he doesn't atleast give some sort of proof that he's working on one. This guy says basically nothing except "Hey, look at me. I'm working on a Mega Drive Emu. crt0 and reaper2k2 aren't the only ones." No information on if it's a port, started from scratch, or anything. He might be working on one, but he has provided no proof that he is working on one. Well, that's why I doubt him.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

OK, I see your point about no hard proof, but if you prove to be right, and he never comes out with an emulator, what have you gained by being right? That's all I'm trying to say. There are bound to be hoaxes, but whatever. We take what comes, and what doesn't happen doesn't happen. If he is just pulling everyone's leg, then he's already had his fun and got a reaction out of all of us. Big deal.

I'm not trying to be caustic here or anything, I just don't understand why people need to tear somebody down. Screenshots would be nice, and would give him more credibility, but I for one don't hold my breath for an emulator anyway, be it a new one or an update. When they come out, if it's one I want I'll download it and if it's good I'm happy. :D

... and that's all I have to say about that.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

yup, just because he doesent post here all the time doesent mean he doesent know how to do anything.

last year when the atari800 emulator was released, it was released by a guy no one knew about, and another guy no one knew about, reaper, got the atari5200 to work on it with sound. we'll see in time if this guy is for real.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Benefit of the doubt is fine. Hyping someone else's non-release isn't. This may or may not be real, but until it is, who cares?
SkillsMakinMills
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by SkillsMakinMills »

OneThirty8 wrote:OK, I see your point about no hard proof, but if you prove to be right, and he never comes out with an emulator, what have you gained by being right? That's all I'm trying to say. There are bound to be hoaxes, but whatever. We take what comes, and what doesn't happen doesn't happen. If he is just pulling everyone's leg, then he's already had his fun and got a reaction out of all of us. Big deal.

I'm not trying to be caustic here or anything, I just don't understand why people need to tear somebody down. Screenshots would be nice, and would give him more credibility, but I for one don't hold my breath for an emulator anyway, be it a new one or an update. When they come out, if it's one I want I'll download it and if it's good I'm happy. :D

... and that's all I have to say about that.
What do we lose by giving him attention and he doesn't release an emulator? We lose our dignity. If he fools us, it makes us look stupid and very gullible. It's not always about gain. That's the problem with the world today: people only want gain. What about keeping what you have? :?
Even when I was dead wrong, I got my point across.

I AM THE REAL ORIGINATOR OF THE NULL/JUNK COMMUNITY!
It's true, ask Nyar or Dr. Z
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

nah i rather gain more and keep what i have. :wink:
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
SkillsMakinMills
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Warmachine wrote: nah i rather gain more and keep what i have.

STFU, he's saying there's nothing to gain by not believing this guy. But there is something to lose. What you said has nothing to do with anything.

reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

SO your the inventer of NULL = nothing useless

proud moment ! lol
:lol:
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
SkillsMakinMills
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

No, I founded the community that you see today, not the actual forum. That was some admin.

reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

OH ok cool then!
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

SkillsMakinMills wrote:No, I founded the community that you see today, not the actual forum. That was some admin.
So your only contribution was to give birth to a legion of spamming warez monkeys. Thanks for nothing.
No signature.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Jinnosuke - Good luck. I hope you get it all working, and don't have too many problems. A Mega Drive isn't exactly the simplest of things to emulate, but if you stick with it you should be able to get it doing something. Good luck, enjoy yourself, and remember to share when you're done. :wink:

Everyone else - Don't get too excited, but don't just dismiss it all as a big fake. Remember that there's only two ways to get known around here - make a big impact on the forums (mods, admins, spammers, and really active members), or release something. And just because you've never released something, it doesn't necessarily follow that you can't program. If the guy said he's working on a Mega Drive emulator, we don't really have any reason to doubt him. Just wish him luck, but don't get too excited - there are a million tiny things that can go wrong, and it does take time.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

Mega Drive isn't easy to emulate, but it isn't too difficult to get working in some capacity either, so it's definitely possible that he's got something going... I just know it's a PITA to get everything working *right* :) ...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

From my limited experience with the system, it looks like the VDP would be a real pain to get right - three layers, fairly complex priorities system, weird way of handling sprites (like a linked list), multiple DMA modes, multiple screen modes, shadow/highlight mode, transparencies, can be made to do some other weird effects too. That's a lot more advanced than the Master System's VDP, but I can still (just) see it's Master System origins in there. Doesn't look that difficult, as such, but there's a heck of a lot to it, and lots of chance for something to go wrong. And on these sort of programs, tweaking one line can make the difference between a game working and doing something weird.

I can get code running on an emulated 68K, but that's about it at this stage. Not very useful, really, but I've only just started fiddling around with the MD in the last couple of days. Certainly an interesting system, and I think I might keep playing around with it.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

Better take up the gen-emu code and fix the scrolling ;)
katraqueyous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by katraqueyous »

It's cool, because this guy is working with a few friends also... :mrgreen:
The people of the land were overjoyed at the gift God gave them, and they rejoiced and praised God, and chanted "DreamSNES rules, DreamSNES rules!"
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Hey guys! Lets not get your hopes up here. Stepping away from the idea of if its fake or not, although a new emulator is always impresive, do you actually think a first release of a megadrive emulator will be very playable? Its nice to know there are people still programming for the DC but a lot of you are talking as if its gonna be something great. It gets here when it gets here, but dont expect the first release to replace something like Nester, SMEG, DreamSNES, GNUboy, or Stella.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

JuddWack wrote:Hey guys! Lets not get your hopes up here. Stepping away from the idea of if its fake or not, although a new emulator is always impresive, do you actually think a first release of a megadrive emulator will be very playable? Its nice to know there are people still programming for the DC but a lot of you are talking as if its gonna be something great. It gets here when it gets here, but dont expect the first release to replace something like Nester, SMEG, DreamSNES, GNUboy, or Stella.
I better crt0's first release will be fullspeed without frame skipping. Crt0 may be a asshole but, he's one hell of a coder.