A Burning Question

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A Burning Question

Post by Green Ranger »

After burning a cdi (or nero) file unto a cd, is there a way to go into the files on the cd, modify them, then reburn them on the same disk?

In other words, from the disk can you copy the files that you want to modify to your hard drive, modify them, then overwrite the originals on the cd by reburning it on the same disk?

If there is a way to do, what program(s) would i need, and how could i do it?

Thx in advance
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

You can't edit a file and then put it back onto the same disc. If you had a regular Data CD, you could keep adding files to a multi-session compilation, but only the newest batch of burnt stuff would show up in Windows Explorer. If you plan on using it for the Dreamcast, then all files should show up.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

Thanks for the info. How do I make a Data CD in Discjuggler and as a multi-session compilation in Discjuggler? And will it still be bootable in the Dreamcast if I make it multi-session?
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I don't know how to do it in DiscJuggler, but by default Nero makes a Multi-Session disc. It's not possible to make a Multi-Session disc that's also self-bootable, but you can burn your emulator/application on one disc and keep another for all your ROms/videos/MP3s etc.

http://www.nero.com
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

Kool, but with the boot disk it should work fine then?
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Green Ranger wrote:Kool, but with the boot disk it should work fine then?
No, not the Utopia one at least. There are two things you can do:

1. Use Inducer to create a disc full of your emulators and applications, and then have another disc for all your ROMs and videos etc.

2. Burn one boot disc of DemoMenu and keep another for holding all your emulators and ROMs etc. It's better explained here: http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/Demomnu.htm
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

thx az_bont for your help. I'm gonna try and see if I can get this thing done :wink:
Go Go Power Rangers!!!