Help with DCDIVX!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Weirdo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with DCDIVX!

Post by Weirdo »

Ive burned the self boot image, all is fine.

I also have another cd, with all my DivX on it (All below 200mb each, one only 790kb, using 5.0.2 codec)

I swap disks, select a file, and wait. And wait. and wait. 6 hours later, nothing has happened. It just sits there on the black bgd loading screen.

Any ideas?

All are converted from .mpg or similar to .avi Divx using TMPGenc (mostly PCM audio, one MP3)

Could it be becauseo ne of my files has more than 8 chars (I read the FAQ :P)

Still doesnt make sense tho, even with more than 8 chars it should only rset the DC, not freeze for hours on end.

HELP!
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

All are converted from .mpg or similar to .avi Divx using TMPGenc (mostly PCM audio, one MP3)
You have to use mp3 audio.
Could it be becauseo ne of my files has more than 8 chars (I read the FAQ )
It's not that.. That bug has been fixed.
Any ideas?
What resolution did you use? If you go to high the vids won't play.

Try encoding again but follow my DcDivX4Dummies tutorial :wink:
Weirdo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Weirdo »

No, its not that, I tried the one that was MP3 encoded and it still didnt work.

AS for resolutions, theyre all at 350x250 :/

UPDATE: Just checked one of the file stats with VDub, use Frauhofer IIS MPEG-LAyer 3 for Audio, 200mb AVI.

Also, is it me or can the DC not read CD-RW? It would stop me creating endless coasters. :roll:
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Also, is it me or can the DC not read CD-RW?
Nope it can't read cd-rw (without a modification).. BUT you can use a multisession disc :D
AS for resolutions, theyre all at 350x250
That's a strange resolution :? You should use 352x240.

Try encoding again but follow the DcDivX4Dummies tutorial and it should work.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Weirdo wrote:No, its not that, I tried the one that was MP3 encoded and it still didnt work.

AS for resolutions, theyre all at 350x250 :/

UPDATE: Just checked one of the file stats with VDub, use Frauhofer IIS MPEG-LAyer 3 for Audio, 200mb AVI.

Also, is it me or can the DC not read CD-RW? It would stop me creating endless coasters. :roll:
MP3 Audio only works at a low bitrate - the absolute maximum it supports is 128kbps, but you probably won't go any higher than 64kbps or in certain cases 96kbps.

The video needs to be 700kbps or under to run smoothly, and at that Video reolution the Audio would need to be 48kbps or less.

The resolution you have is just over the maximum that people 'round here have done, but should be alright.

But it looks as if you've got a movie too high a quality for DCDivX, as is the case with most downloaded movies. You'll have to re-encode using ZacMC's tutorial or my own - you might also want to check out this topic as it contains a lot of useful information on how to get the most out of your movies.

Oh, and the Dreamcast can't play CD-RWs without modifying it - if you want to try it then head over to the Hardware Mod Forum and they should be able to help you.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Weirdo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Weirdo »

Ok, ive rencoded all my .avis in to the formats suggested, but one last cheack - could any of the following effect its ability to play?

1) Im on a PAL Dreamcast, PAL TV, but most avis are probably in NTSC format? If so, how can i convert them to PAL format?

2) I burned using Mode 2/XA. Would it make any difference if I used Mode 1?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Weirdo wrote:Ok, ive rencoded all my .avis in to the formats suggested, but one last cheack - could any of the following effect its ability to play?

1) Im on a PAL Dreamcast, PAL TV, but most avis are probably in NTSC format? If so, how can i convert them to PAL format?

2) I burned using Mode 2/XA. Would it make any difference if I used Mode 1?
1. Not really, because even if you encoded your videos in PAL they'd be outputted as NTSC on your telly anyway.

2. If you plan on swapping from your DCDivX disc to your movies disc, or from your Utopia disc to a non self-boot of DCDivX and movies then use Mode 1. If you plan on self-booting it, just burn the image that DSSB/Pinoy's Ultimate Boot Kit/Hogthar's Ultimate Self-Boot Tool/whatever.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
gamecube4789
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gamecube4789 »

I am just going to burn all my divx movie files WITH the software onto one cd...(i'm using the dcdivx for dummies) but it amazes me....how does an 800MB file get squeezed so tiny when you do the walkthrough to fit almost 3hour of movie data onto the disk.....also....there is a menu ...right? and i didn't know you could pop in a seprate cd with the movie data on it.. :P
Bungiesoft: 15,000.
The PC industry: 900,000.
Sense of dignity: Worthless.
Some things money can't buy......but Microsoft will try anyway.
Weirdo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Weirdo »

Whats the Loding time to file size ratio for DCDivX?

I reburned them all, all under your suggestions, all with EXACTLY the same parameters, down to the frames size (352x288 I think), but only some of them load? two of the 200mb ones run fine, 2 little 10mb's also run fin, but the others (2x 30mb, 1 x 280mb) just refuse to load.

THe 200mbs take, about 10 seconds to buffer up, with the 12mb about 3-4 secs. But the others just freeze the program.

ARGH!

:evil:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Weirdo wrote:Whats the Loding time to file size ratio for DCDivX?

I reburned them all, all under your suggestions, all with EXACTLY the same parameters, down to the frames size (352x288 I think), but only some of them load? two of the 200mb ones run fine, 2 little 10mb's also run fin, but the others (2x 30mb, 1 x 280mb) just refuse to load.

THe 200mbs take, about 10 seconds to buffer up, with the 12mb about 3-4 secs. But the others just freeze the program.

ARGH!

:evil:
Well, you might just have a particular video that doesn't like DCDivX because of too much motion in it. Try encoding it with 320x240 @ 700kbps and see what it comes out like.
Weirdo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Weirdo »

Are there going to be anymore further updates to DCDivX?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Weirdo wrote:Are there going to be anymore further updates to DCDivX?
Yes - a Beta 4 is being planned that will hopefully allow us to squeeze more out of it, and perhaps support for OGG sound inside movies?