FOF is coming today!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
IceGentoo6
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by IceGentoo6 »

Excuse my n00bness but I don't know how to burn this. I don't wanna waste 18 discs like I did with DreamSNES. >_<

I tried to download the file today and it just stopped completely at 51%...
saber07
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by saber07 »

what version are you getting? If you are getting the DiscJuggler one, you'll need to update to version 4.xx.xxx
Silence is Golden
vicviper74
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

try this

Post by vicviper74 »

[quote] I tried to download the file today and it just stopped completely at 51%... [/quote]

^Ok what am I doing wrong for this quote thing to work^

I had the same problem, so what I did is try another link. I think it has three to choose from.
Just want to say Ido like it,i thought i'd hate it.
I dont usually care for those kinda games. I like the way you can throw stuff at each other. to screw up your timing. kinda neat gonna try to add my own tracks as well oh and the music rocks too[/quote]
Since people seem to message me for nuthin!!! I removed my messenger link ha ha ha ha
gamesnark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by gamesnark »

djray wrote:i already have a ddr pad using a PSX->DC adapter called "Super DC Converter"

i was wondering if any1 has tested FOF with "Super DC Converter" with successful results... b/c i don't have a burner :(

FOF sounds great!! can't wait for the final version in January!!
I belive that's the same kind of adapter I have, it doesn't work at all.
here's the page for the auction I got it from, so you can see if it's the same one you have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1386127687
TheSimms
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by TheSimms »

Has anyone successfully created a Swap CD yet? I could be the way I burned it, but my CD structure is exactly the same as the sample version 1.

I'm not talking about getting everything right, just getting the songs to play. I got an error in texture.cpp, which made me think i was missing one of the .pngs, but i'm not.

It could be a burning issue, i'm used NTI CD maker pro, so i may try another program soon.
Dan Potter
DC Developer
DC Developer

Updated the FAQ

Post by Dan Potter »

I added another question to the FAQ about the specific issues with Swap CD burning.

http://www.cagames.com/fof_faq.php

Basically the big problem with burning the CDs is that CD software for Windows tends to support only raw ISO filenames and Joliet extensions. So if you burn a CD that way, it will look deceptively correct and yet FoF still can't read it because KOS only understands raw ISO filenames and Rock Ridge extensions. Mac users and Unix users shouldn't have any troubles here.

Kind of a frustrating situation, I knew I should have integrated those Joliet patches from Bero earlier :evil:

Anyhow, the easy litmus test is to make sure you have turned off Joliet extensions in your burning software, and then open the CD up with Explorer after you get it burned. If the file names look all weird then it probably won't work. Case shouldn't matter here, btw, it should be case insensitive.

I've had several suggestions that we should probably just write a program that lets you input data and it cranks out an ISO image ready to burn. This is actually just what I wanted to do :) I just haven't had the time to do it. Maybe I can get around to it this weekend or something, it shouldn't be too hard -- just need a front end to mkisofs or something like that.
TheSimms
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by TheSimms »

thanks a lot, i've used mkisofs before, so i'll just use that command line...

I'll post how everything goes later if i have any time.....
Kiley
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Kiley »

Does the SBI file from http://dipacks.cjb.net/ work?

I downloaded the NERO image from DCHomebrew (it said fixed), and all it had was a 6 second audio track? Using Nero 5.5.8.2

Also, is there a way to make DreamInducer Autoboot an app if there is only one app on the disc?

Kiley
Daniel Kiley is still "dreaming"
cad455
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Greetings from your local DJ

Post by cad455 »

[quote=Now, also note that in the final release, those aren't going to be the only songs. We've got some really exciting sources which we still can't reveal (no matter how much I want to) that we could POSSIBLY get some tunes from. If we do, the game will be all that much more diverse. Let's all just hope for the best, mmkay?

[/quote]

is there a possibility you'd be taking song submissions from the public?

i'm having a great time learning Reason 2.0 :lol:
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Greetings from your local DJ

Post by DJ Geki »

cad455 wrote:is there a possibility you'd be taking song submissions from the public?

i'm having a great time learning Reason 2.0 :lol:
Yo, Cad...I've been seriously considering it. There have already been a few artists that have written to me asking if they could have a submission in the game. I would really love to do this. The only problem I can forsee is in the potential licensing problems we'd have. However, we still have quite a bit of time before our final release, so for now it doesn't hurt to submit what you've got.

For the sake of time, I'll just list our requirements for any submissions here:

1. No shorter than 1 minute 25 seconds.
2. No longer than 2 minutes.
3. MUST BE DANCEABLE! If you write a song that is arhythmic, it won't get played. Now, that's not to say that you can't write something in 7/8 but make DARN sure that you could actually move to it.
4. If commercial software is used to make the song(s), you MUST own a legally purchased license to that software.
5. If samples are used, they must be royalty free/public domain samples, or made from your own equipment.

If you want to make a submission for consideration, please contact me directly (rtoomim@cagames.com) and we'll work something out.

I don't think I've left anything out, but don't consider that this is the complete list of requirements...there may well be something important that I'll remember later on.

Thanks for everyone's support! (shop at the cafepress store: http://www.cafepress.com/allusion )

DJ Geki
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

i'll definitely be submitting some tracks :)

i just need to fine-tune a couple!

but the reason for this post is:
-on the FoF site, under the Swap CD section, there is a lot of talk about "DWI" songs... this may sound stupid, but what the hell is a DWI??

is it a step editor file from DDR?? i have no idea... some elaboration would be great!
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

gamesnark wrote:
djray wrote:i already have a ddr pad using a PSX->DC adapter called "Super DC Converter"

i was wondering if any1 has tested FOF with "Super DC Converter" with successful results... b/c i don't have a burner :(

FOF sounds great!! can't wait for the final version in January!!
I belive that's the same kind of adapter I have, it doesn't work at all.
here's the page for the auction I got it from, so you can see if it's the same one you have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1386127687
gamesnark, damn that's unfortunate... it's the same adapter i have!!
have you tried flipping the switch on the side of Super DC Converter??

I'm going try and borrow my friend's burner so I can test FoF!
Plautus
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Plautus »

DWI==Dance With Intensity

It is a popular PC DDR-like emulator. The step information for each song is contained in a *.dwi file.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

dwi kicks ass but the only problem is it doesnt have background movements
Dan Potter
DC Developer
DC Developer

DWI Files

Post by Dan Potter »

Yeah, it's really fun to search for "DWI" on Google because you get about 50% links about drunk driving, and another 50% about DDR web sites. Then of course you have a whole sidebar full of "We'll defend your DWI ticket!" on the side.. lol.

Anyhow, DWI files are the format used by "Dance With Intensity", a PC DDR simulator. I decided to use them with FoF because it was a really easy way for me to have some material to test out the "arrow engine" before I had to write some sort of editing tool or try it on my own. I've played a LOT of DDR in the arcade and at home, so I know how the arrows are supposed to feel for a lot of the songs. Made it really easy to get all the timings matched up.

DWI tries to be an exact simulator of DDR, including stuff in MAX2 (7thMix) like hold arrows. FoF takes some of the basic ideas from DDR and goes in a different direction; not only do we want different gameplay, but we don't want to feel like a clone of DDR. The conceptual split is around 3rdMix in the DDR timeline. So as long as it doesn't use triplets, BPM changes, pauses, or anything like that, DWI files should work after a GAP adjustment.

Anyway, if you google for "Dance With Intensity" you should be able to find info about DWI files and making them. You can actually test FoF DWI files on DWI itself because it allows OGGs for background music. The GAP timing will be different of course.

I'm hoping to have something out before too long to make the whole Swap CD process much simpler. All this stuff just takes time unfortunately, and I'm not getting paid for any of it, so it takes even longer. ^_^; I'm considering several different alternatives on how to write the program because I'd like to have a native version for both Win32 and Linux (obviously.. I use Linux myself :)). wxWindows is looking likely. Qt would be a definite candidate because I've used it and it's freaking amazing and easy... but unfortunately it costs a load of money for the Win32 version, and my friend who actually has a license and could compile stuff for me is in Japan for a month. (doh!)

Damn! This whole post has turned into another dissertation. Sorry about that, my typing speed unfortunately lends verbosity to my messages ;)
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

DWI stuff

Post by DJ Geki »

zickfun wrote:dwi kicks ass but the only problem is it doesnt have background movements
As far as I know, you can add your own videos (in MPEG format, I think) into one of the folders in DWI and it'll either cycle through them or randomize them. In any case, I know there is some sort of background movement available.

DJGeki
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

thanks dan thanks really great work

also the biggest thanks for the wonderfull kos and for giving us your free time ...

you my programing hero now use to be ( martin galway or r h )

"i know there music hex sid music " im overjoyed its real qualty and class
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
Plautus
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Plautus »

I've got a question that's kind of academic since I'm trying to create a Swap CD now that just goes through 3rd Mix (I'm interested in what an FoF battle would look like with Have You Ever Been Mellow basic), but what does FoF do when it comes across stuff in the DWI file it doesn't support? Would it just not run said song, or would it do something weird?

Also, it seems reasonable that FoF would not support Double play. Is this accurate?
Dan Potter
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Dan Potter »

Plautus wrote:I've got a question that's kind of academic since I'm trying to create a Swap CD now that just goes through 3rd Mix (I'm interested in what an FoF battle would look like with Have You Ever Been Mellow basic), but what does FoF do when it comes across stuff in the DWI file it doesn't support? Would it just not run said song, or would it do something weird?
Hehe... since I didn't take a great deal of pain to make sure the step files are 100% clean, I'm voting "do something weird". Let's see.... Ok:

- For unknown sections (like say you add a #BPMCHANGE or something like that, whatever it's called) FoF will just ignore it. So it just won't play properly.

- For unknown characters in the step data itself (like triplets and such) it will just throw those chars in as if they're steps. Which means you'll probably get some very strange behavior in the game play mode itself until it dies. At the very least, the steps will be off because meta-chars like [ and ] will get treated like steps.

If I can get around to making a Swap CD helper utility, I'll have it pre-parse the steps and make sure FoF will like it. Probably just use the same code for both things...
Plautus wrote:Also, it seems reasonable that FoF would not support Double play. Is this accurate?
Yeah, it doesn't support it. It only checks for the standard "BASIC", "ANOTHER", and "MANIAC" sections, which translate to Easy, Medium, and Hard.
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

It looks like custom step files are going to be quite popular, given the response on this and other message boards. When we get some (or even before then), would you be opposed to me or someone else creating a website to host them? Also, will it be illegal to distribute the step files of songs that you can't freely distribute - i.e. commercial songs - without the .ogg or .mp3 to go with it?