DCDivx: Breaking the resolution barrier

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

DCDivx: Breaking the resolution barrier

Post by yodanut » Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:25 am

Hey everyone,

I found some DCDivx settings that produce amazing quality on 24 or 25 fps widescreen movies. In VirtualDub, do a precise bicubic resize to 416 x *. You should crop out any and all black bars that are present so that your final size should be around 416 x 176 (That's the size I've used on the movies I've tested). I used 22050 KHz stereo at 5 kb/s for the MP3 compression, and 700kbps Divx 5.0.2. The results: an incredibly sharp DCDivx picture that played at full speed 98% of the time. High motion screens lag momentarily behind the audio, but always catch up. I'm watching another movie I encoded now with slightly higher audio settings(24000 KHz) and it appears these also dont desync, but I'll wait until the video has finished playing to emit judgement. Anyway, give these settings a try. You'll be surprised at the results.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:19 pm

Hmmm

I'm gonna try that on my next movie

But most of my movies are not widescreen

What do you reccomend for non widescreen movies ?
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:27 pm

Well, the higher audio quality worked. It stayed synchronized throughout and while the difference is slight, it is definitely noticeable. By the way, while I already mentioned it, anyone who wants to try these settings must keep in mind what movie they're enconding. One particularly dynamic sequence in one of the movies I've tested lagged behind the audio for a minute since it was full of cut-aways and movement. If you're trying really intense action films, you might wanna try lower resolutions and bit-rates.

Non widescreen movies should not be played higher than 352 x 288. That's the setting I use for most full frame movies, and most look good and play perfectly. Still, it's a bit high for dynamic movies, which is why most people recommend 320 x 240. That's an okay resolution for some media, but it's just too blurry for my tastes.

BTW, has anybody else tried my recommendations? I'm curious about the results others have gotten.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
soulspaceuk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by soulspaceuk » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:20 pm

yeah - i swear i encoded something with a 400+ width, and it was fine..

i encode at 350kb/s - for some reason, using 2 pass encoding, and psychodynamic modelling (important) on normal, this gets me very nice looking DivX...

i've encoded a lot of movies in my time for DcDivX & have found that desyncing problems seem to be almost random - i'll encode a film in exactly the same way as another & one will desync & one won't... 9/10 of my movies are fine, there's just a few..

yeah, i always do 22025hz sound, stereo, 8-bit - it's best to amplify the sound so it's loud enough - because otherwise quiet bits of the sound are fuzzy - don't amp too much or you'll screw it up... try getting a normalizer program & normalize the wave (export it first) to 95%.. that'll make ur sound nice no matter what encoding settings you use..

352x288 or 320x240 are both good i find.. also, for widescreen, sometimes i resize to 352x288 & then press the "widescreen stretch 16:9" button my TV remote - therefore you get hi-rez 352x288 picture, but scaled vertically on the TV (not all tv's have this function)..

Jon
Mr. Superbad
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Mr. Superbad » Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:10 pm

I tried encoding widescreen movie at 400x216 500kbs and the video played slowly and the sound desynched almost immediatly.

When I resize movies to 352xwhatever they play fine with minimal artifacts. With audio at 64bps mono mp3 encoded with WinLame, it looks and sounds great.
vicviper74
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

question

Post by vicviper74 » Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:17 am

i have a widescreen movie ID4 when i converted with vurualdub it looks squished :( what setting can i use to fix this problem?
Since people seem to message me for nuthin!!! I removed my messenger link ha ha ha ha