DivX freezing ( this is no complainment topic ! )

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DivX freezing ( this is no complainment topic ! )

Post by dcemuler »

Hi , i'm not complaining , i think dcdivx is wonderful , but , sometimes the video freezes , and the audio keep going .

I don't know why that happen , but i noticed that in smaller files , i don't have this problem ( i'm using version 4)

So , maybe it's the buffer but , i'm not sure

So what should I do when that happen to me ?

just pause the clip and wait a few seconds for the buffer ?

Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Encode your vids with a lower resolution or video/audio bitrate and they will play without freezing. :)
acemilo
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by acemilo »

I'm experiencing the same thing dude. I will have the movie on there, say 400mb and like a music video say 50mb. I run the video and it stops after a few seconds, waits, plays audio, then catches up in a few seconds. Then I play the full movie, and get NO SLOW DOWN whatsoever. What's up with that? Maybe it has an easier time buffering larger files and its trying to read the smaller file too often. I'm really not sure why, but I get the same thing. I encode them all the same way (i have a settings file for virtual dub that I load to encode to dcdivx) so its definitely not the settings. Anyone have any ideas?
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

acemilo wrote:I'm experiencing the same thing dude. I will have the movie on there, say 400mb and like a music video say 50mb. I run the video and it stops after a few seconds, waits, plays audio, then catches up in a few seconds. Then I play the full movie, and get NO SLOW DOWN whatsoever. What's up with that? Maybe it has an easier time buffering larger files and its trying to read the smaller file too often. I'm really not sure why, but I get the same thing. I encode them all the same way (i have a settings file for virtual dub that I load to encode to dcdivx) so its definitely not the settings. Anyone have any ideas?
Maybe the movie was 23fps and the music vid was 30fps?
acemilo
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by acemilo »

I encode all my dvd rips at 29.97 fps, since that's what american dvds are set on. I think its a buffer problem, but I may be wrong. It happens with all my smaller files, like music videos, short commentaries, and trailers, but the movies run fine. I encode them all exactly the same: 29.97fps, 40kbit 24khz (using radium codec no sync probs), 320x240 res. Therefore I can tell you it isn't any one of these factors, the only thing left is the program itslef. It is probably just a design flaw that its not great on small files.
jared1619
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by jared1619 »

I encode all my dvd rips at 29.97 fps, since that's what american dvds are set on
Most American dvd's use ntscfilm which is 23.97 so that may be why it's different.
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Blarg.... I had that prob too

Post by dkoikadabra »

I had that problem too. It seemed, however, that it was my Audio codec that was the culprit. I did 3 movies, all the same: 14fps, bitrate of 300 with DivX 5.x (don't remember exactly which one), resolution of 352x240. Audio side was the Lame MP3 codec at 22050 stereo, bitrate of 96. Every time I used this codec, it froze after about a minute. Only when I accidentally used the wrong audio codec did I relize that the Lame codec was causing the problems; I used the MP3 codec that shipped with my comp, and it plays my vids fine.
The problem may be with other codecs also.... maybe the version I had for Lame was braindamaged, for example. Hope this helps.
Who reads that dumb text at the bottom of a post? Oh, I guess you do.
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

BTW....

Post by dkoikadabra »

Anyone know how to knock a 29fps vid down to about 23fps? The frame decemate feature in VirtualDub knocks it down to about 14 or 16 fps when you set it to 2 (the least amount of frames you can decimate), which is unacceptable when I have a DVD rip of a kickass movie (like Series 7 =-)
Who reads that dumb text at the bottom of a post? Oh, I guess you do.
soulspaceuk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by soulspaceuk »

to the guy with the freeze problem - use DCDivX Beta 3!!!

i have vids that play perfect in Beta 3 - but freeze after 30 seconds in Beta 4... if you've got both burnt on CDs - use which ever one works best for each of your vids.. but try beta 3..

Jon