MPEG Layer 3 problem

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
sepa
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

MPEG Layer 3 problem

Post by sepa » Sat May 25, 2002 1:58 pm

This problem is only on 1 of my computers, which happens to be the fastest machine I have.

I have been encoding on a 400 mhz machine for the past few months, but it's just too slow. So I wanna encode on the newer comp.

For some reason, I cant get Vdub to encode mpeg L-3.

I have tryied using lame, and even installing an "mpeg layer-3" program.
But I keep getting the same error.

I know for a fact that it is the computer and NOT something Im doing wrong. I have been encoding divx since the first release of dcdivx and all the video's I try will encode fine on my slower machine.

The error it gives me is:
"Error initializing audio stream compression:
The requested conversion is not possible."

If anyone has the slightest clue to why it wont work, please let me know.

Thanks,
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc » Sat May 25, 2002 2:38 pm

Here's an audio encoding tutorial.

If NOTHING works on your fast comp you could just encode the video on it and do the audio encoding on the slow one..
sepa
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by sepa » Sat May 25, 2002 2:58 pm

ok, update :D

The tutorial you posted, I have tryied already so I know it doesnt work.

BUT!
I was searching around http://www.divx.com forums and came across an codec package.

http://www.nivelvirtual.net/nimo/

I installed the codec's and it works!

So far, Ive encoded a video and the outcome looks great!
I havent had a chance to test the video with dcdivx yet though.

Ill test it later tonight, and let you guys know if it works for future reference; just incase you see this problem posted again. :wink:
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis » Sat May 25, 2002 10:34 pm

Sounds to me as if it were a simple codec problem... as in they weren't there. That would explain the inability to complete a conversion. And, seems to me like you already did what needed to be done. You installed the codecs it wanted, and voila, it worked :) There will always be problems like this popping up for people, but the exact solution may not be the same for everyone, because not everyone would be lacking the same codecs. Only thing to be done is to find out what specific codec is lacking for each individual case.