CD-RW Working on the DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
fnice
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CD-RW Working on the DC

Post by fnice »

I was bored today and and got the dc to read cd-rw disc's + normal cd-r's

Pictures here on how to:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~hotrose/dc.html

I just put this up in 5 mins it's lame, but helpfull, I will work on it at a later time..........

This May or May Not Work On Your Dreamcast..... U are warned before u try it this can make your DC not read any cd's, or cd-r's....
The worst is that u have to put the screw back in the place it was!!!!

tools just a very small screw driver

my model was made march of 2000

1.) U need to take the cover off (there are three screw's and one that is under the modem)

1.a) there is a cable with (2 red, 2 white, 2 black wires(may differ from model to model) there are clips that hold the wire in place. lift the clips carefully and slide the wire away from the clips.

1.b) the laser (eye) needs to be far most from the cd spindle (that u pit the cd onto) when lifting the laser eye up take your hand and move eye far most from the spindle (where the cd is place to play a game) U will hear it clicking ( do it slowly, so u don't mash the gears)

2.) lift the laser up and rest it up side down so it is out side the dreamcast case. put a (small box, 2 packs of smokes , or something small, so the laser is level) remember to be very carefull so u don't pull the cable out from the laser or dc board.

3.) REMEMBER The laser (eye) needs to be far most from the cd spindle (that u pit the cd onto)

4.) Right above the blue and white cable (When the laser is upside down)
facing the controller ports left hand side, U will see a small screw ( it should have a small amount of orange glue on it, that is the screw u need to turn....

5.) Each model may differ, but mine I just turned a hair at a time till the cd-rw worked. when I mean a hair I mean a Hair, a hair can make it work or not work. this may differ from model to model remember.. if it sweaks or makes a howling noice after u turned it. U must turn the screw back a hair or forward a hair. This Should work with turning the screw no more then an 1/16th of a turn. mine didn't even go past when the Orange glue was placed. So I say again it shouldn't have to be moved more then the thickness of a 3 1/2 inch floppy, if u don't know what a 16th is

6.) if u get it to read a cd-rw, try a normal cd or demo game. because u can get it to read a cd-rw and it won't read a normal cd-r.

I will try and help people with this but " Try at own risk "
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

fnice wrote:The worst is that u have to put the screw back in the place it was!!!!
Isn't it true that this could break your DC? Even it all of this is done correctly?

P.S. mine's a February 2000... will it work with CD-RW?

Also which way did u turn it, clockwise or counter-clockwise?
fnice
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by fnice »

Mr._Chips wrote:
fnice wrote:The worst is that u have to put the screw back in the place it was!!!!
Isn't it true that this could break your DC? Even it all of this is done correctly?

P.S. mine's a February 2000... will it work with CD-RW?

Also which way did u turn it, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

TURN CLOCKWISE WHEN LASER IS UPSIDE DOWN AS ON THE WEB PAGE

I can't tell u that for sure, it is only an adjustment for the laser eye!
if you turn it clock wise when the laser is upside down turn it about a hair at a time, no more then try the cd-rw, if it don't work then turn it again, I moved mine like 3-4 times I think
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I wish I could try that on my DC, but the screw things coved with glue :/
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

I wish I could try that on my DC, but the screw things coved with glue :/
don't try it if it's covered with glue. the screw is very delicate and could easily snap off.