New Homebrew: Robo-Ninja Climb

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
gauauu
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Homebrew: Robo-Ninja Climb

Post by gauauu »

I'm finishing up my first Dreamcast homebrew game, a port of a game that I made previously for NES and Atari 2600: Robo-Ninja Climb. It's a short and simple 2d action game where you jump your way upwards, dodging spikes and other obstacles.

Compared to the NES and Atari 2600, the Dreamcast is so powerful that it was fun moving my optimized-for-6502-processor-architecture C code over and having things run so smoothly on this "modern" hardware!

Anyway, you can download the game from http://www.bitethechili.com/roboninja-climb. I'm doing final testing of the game now, let me know if you try it and find any major issues!

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: New Homebrew: Robo-Ninja Climb

Post by |darc| »

Looks cool! I look forward to trying it out soon. Thanks for sharing!
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Pretty good game! Got stuck on the double jump stage, need to figure out that mechanic.

Kudos for releasing the source code as well
gauauu
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by gauauu »

Yeah, it's tricky. You have to jump out, then jump again back to the wall you were on. It takes a bit of practice.

Just don't use my source as an example of good coding. So many ugly hacks to make it run well on the original 6502 target :-)
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

This is a pretty fun game! I'm enjoying it.

My only complaint so far is that there seems to be an invisible "ceiling" at the top and sometimes when I think I can jump and clear an obstacle, my ninja hits the ceiling and then doesn't clear the obstacle.
It's thinking...
gauauu
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by gauauu »

|darc| wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:48 pm My only complaint so far is that there seems to be an invisible "ceiling" at the top and sometimes when I think I can jump and clear an obstacle, my ninja hits the ceiling and then doesn't clear the obstacle.
Yeah, I probably need to raise the ceiling slightly. The logic for the ceiling changed slightly from the NES to Dreamcast version, and I probably ended up with it being a little too low.
gauauu
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by gauauu »

Hey, just a quick FYI, I'm thinking about doing a small production run of these as I know a few folks that are interested in having a nicely packaged copy.

That said, I don't know this community all that well... Is there any interest from folks here if I do have a few to sell?