Custom Bios

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Custom Bios

Post by tekkaman1 »

To use the custom bios that is posted in the front page you need a modded Dreamcast ? Is that the only way ?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Custom Bios

Post by |darc| »

tekkaman1 wrote:To use the custom bios that is posted in the front page you need a modded Dreamcast ? Is that the only way ?

That's correct. You'll to do either of the following:

1. Get a flashROM and use a USB-based or Parallel-based programmer device to flash the BIOS onto it, then replace (by soldering) the Dreamcast's BIOS maskROM with the flashROM. You can then use DreamShell to update the flashROM whenever you want.
2. Solder a blank flashROM piggybacked on top of the existing maskROM with a switch to swap between the two, and use DreamShell to program the blank flashROM.

On my personal Dreamcast I did the latter, and mounted the switch inside of the G2/modem/BBA bay so that it isn't obvious.

If you're interested in having the mod done, we could perhaps work something out as I need money at the moment and I have a bunch of these chips laying around. ;)
It's thinking...