OpenTitus (Sega Dreamcast)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

OpenTitus (Sega Dreamcast)

Post by gameblabla »

Here's OpenTitus for Sega Dreamcast, now updated for 2022 !
This supports both Titus the Fox as well as "Les aventures de Moktar" (the original version).

The new update now supports the external sd card : simply put the game files at the root of your sd card (formatted as FAT32)
and put the game files in either titus/ (Titus the fox) or moktar/ (Les aventures de Moktar).

You can also choose to rebuild the cdi with Bootdreams and put the game files in there, should you prefer to do so instead. (For exemple, if you don't own an external sd card or don't wish to use it for some reasons)

Here's the full changelog :
  • Improvements by usineur (Gameplay improvements, fixes)
  • Horizontal scrolling by Peterix
  • Support for SD card adapter as well as data on CD/ISO (requires a build in that case)
  • Performance improvements (no noticeable slowdowns so far)
  • Supports Moktar as well as Titus the fox.
  • Pausing the game with Start. (Not implemented previously)
  • 0.8.1 improvements (Amiga improved skies, stars in the sky)
You can download the latest version here :
https://bafybeickzfjuzs4g6xvq2yms7cn47l ... amcast.zip

Source code is here (see vita branch) : https://github.com/gameblabla/opentitus

Note:
To complete the first level, you need to kill the last guy with the wood thingy.
To hold it, crouch by pressing down and press B. Press B again to throw it.
Last edited by gameblabla on Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Re: [WIP] OpenTitus

Post by Indiket »

Hi again gameblabla!! :)

I did a test on nullDC plus real hardware and the game works, but unfortunately, the music and sound are really really bad comparing with Win32 version. All the music and sounds are like "cutted", or jerky... I mean, they are not running at correct speed, so it sounds quite bad.

And its strange, because the game seems to work correctly and without lag, but I repeat, sound and music are not synchronized :(

Try yourself the Win32 version (or Unix flavour) and you will notice clearly the difference.
Thanks!

Additional note: I noticed you're using 0.8.0, but latest one is 0.8.1, right? :)
Also, if you're using SDL_SWSURFACE, you can try to switch to HWSURFACE + DOUBLEBUF to gain extra speed. Another trick is to reduce buffer size, or remove SDL_mixer and write directly into AICA..
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

Hello indiket, thanks for the bug report !
There was two version of the opl interpreter and i was using the heavier one...
I have uploaded a new version that fixes this (at least the music seems to play faster on lxdream).
Additional note: I noticed you're using 0.8.0, but latest one is 0.8.1, right?
Version 0.8.1 is broken, there are lots of missing code so i can't use it.
Also, if you're using SDL_SWSURFACE, you can try to switch to HWSURFACE + DOUBLEBUF to gain extra speed. Another trick is to reduce buffer size, or remove SDL_mixer and write directly into AICA..
I do not notice a huge speedup using HWSURFACE...
Using the AICA would be ideal of course but i'm not familiar with it,
i have already switched the opl driver from SDL_mixer to SDL.
(SDL_mixer is not found in kos-ports so i had to do this)

This release should work properly now, hopefully.
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

As always, its a pleasure! :)

Yeah, this version of opl works way much better than the other one, nice!! Music is now OK.

I found another issue in DC version: the password screen is very "flashy" and can't be read.
I love that I can enter password with my PAD (and there's no need for keyboard), but there's something wrong because it is rendering the password screen and title screen at the same time :(
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

Indiket wrote: I found another issue in DC version: the password screen is very "flashy" and can't be read.
I love that I can enter password with my PAD (and there's no need for keyboard), but there's something wrong because it is rendering the password screen and title screen at the same time :(
Yes, it happended when i switched to HWSURFACE | DOUBLEBUF...
I have partially fixed this but there are still some rendering bugs i could not fix easily.

I have attached two versions :
One using SWSURFACE and the other another one using HWSURFACE instead.
Tell me which one looks best/faster.
Thanks indiket

EDIIT : See first post to download it.
Last edited by gameblabla on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

Yeah, it's quite usual when you try to use double buffering but the game does not support it!! hehehe.

For this engine, SWSURFACE looks better than HW one (in the password screen is where it takes the difference), and both run at same speed because the engine limits itself. Btw, I saw you already fixed some rendering bugs in HW mode, thats awesome! :)

So, I would take SW version with the lighter opl: more than enough for a decent DC port!! No more issues to say, good work! :)
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

Indiket wrote:Yeah, it's quite usual when you try to use double buffering but the game does not support it!! hehehe.

For this engine, SWSURFACE looks better than HW one (in the password screen is where it takes the difference), and both run at same speed because the engine limits itself. Btw, I saw you already fixed some rendering bugs in HW mode, thats awesome! :)

So, I would take SW version with the lighter opl: more than enough for a decent DC port!! No more issues to say, good work! :)
Thanks for testing, the SW version is now the default version and i think we can consider it as final.
dreamcast-news
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: OpenTitus (Sega Dreamcast)

Post by dreamcast-news »

Thanks !
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

dreamcast-news wrote:Thanks !
Your welcome.
Can't work on Super Mario War for now due to missing libraries but when they'll become available,
i'll make sure to port it to Sega Dreamcast !
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Thanks for the port please keep porting new games for us!
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

I have finally took the time to update Opentitus for the Dreamcast.
Plenty of improvements compared to the last version but the gist of it is that it finally supports loading game data files from the external sd card (one of the few homebrew games to support that, mostly done to avoid legal issues), performance improvements (this should finally run smoothly), supports Moktar (the original game Titus the fox is based upon), Horizontal scrolling, pausing the game with start and minor improvements that make the game better.

Basically i went through the changes done to the Vita, SDL2 version etc... and this should hopefully make it the ultimate version of the game :P.
Well not quite : it doesn't have Amiga MOD support. But i plan on adding ADX music support at some point.

You can download the new version at my first post.
These users thanked the author gameblabla for the post (total 2):
|darc|cube_b3