What Ever Happened To Playstation Emu(s)??

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Post Reply
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:56 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

What Ever Happened To Playstation Emu(s)??

Post by TechnoWolf » Mon May 10, 2010 10:16 am

Hi Everyone!
What ever happened to Playstation emus for Dreamcast, such as Chui's "PSX4ALL"? I'm aware of his page at http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/psx4all.html but it looks essentially abandoned. Has anyone else out there ever successfully emulated PSX on Dreamcast??
User avatar
Christuserloeser
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5936
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:16 am
Location: DCEvolution.net
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: What Ever Happened To Playstation Emu(s)??

Post by Christuserloeser » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 am

Well, Bleem!cast did, but all that left of them is the three official releases and the leaked beta (which doesn't support VMU saving nor FMV decoding).

I hear they managed to copy the official Bleem!cast releases (Tekken 3, Gran Turismo 2, Metal Gear Solid) but I doubt it will help in getting other games to work.
Insane homebrew collector.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
Posts: 5031
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:11 pm
Location: Saugerties, NY
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: What Ever Happened To Playstation Emu(s)??

Post by OneThirty8 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:39 pm

There was a port of PCSX as well, but it wasn't really useful for playing games.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Posts: 3641
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:55 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: What Ever Happened To Playstation Emu(s)??

Post by Ex-Cyber » Wed May 19, 2010 11:47 pm

Basically, this is a really hard thing to do well, and interest wanes as DC gets older. A fork of PSX4ALL still exists, but it's primarily an iPhone app now.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
User avatar
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Posts: 7489
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Miami, FL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: What Ever Happened To Playstation Emu(s)??

Post by Quzar » Thu May 20, 2010 3:26 am

OneThirty8 wrote:There was a port of PCSX as well, but it wasn't really useful for playing games.
PSX4ALL was a fork from PCSX (originally a port to some sort of mobile devices). The DC version used the assembly core from the earlier DC PCSX port.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
User avatar
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Posts: 7953
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:17 am
Location: San Francisco, CA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: What Ever Happened To Playstation Emu(s)??

Post by DaMadFiddler » Sat May 22, 2010 12:27 am

Quzar wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:There was a port of PCSX as well, but it wasn't really useful for playing games.
PSX4ALL was a fork from PCSX (originally a port to some sort of mobile devices). The DC version used the assembly core from the earlier DC PCSX port.
Actually, IIRC, PSX4ALL evolved out of a PSX emulator for GP2x, which in turn was a port of a PSX emulator for Palm (originally targeted at the Tapwave Zodiac) by ZodTTD, which itself was a fork of PCSX.
User avatar
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Posts: 7489
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Miami, FL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: What Ever Happened To Playstation Emu(s)??

Post by Quzar » Sat May 22, 2010 8:06 pm

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Quzar wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:There was a port of PCSX as well, but it wasn't really useful for playing games.
PSX4ALL was a fork from PCSX (originally a port to some sort of mobile devices). The DC version used the assembly core from the earlier DC PCSX port.
Actually, IIRC, PSX4ALL evolved out of a PSX emulator for GP2x, which in turn was a port of a PSX emulator for Palm (originally targeted at the Tapwave Zodiac) by ZodTTD, which itself was a fork of PCSX.
Tomato tomahto. It wasn't a direct fork, and that's why there has never been a huge push to get source released. According to ZodTTD there's basically nothing of the original code left.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Post Reply