Has anybody heard about Atomiswave games being hacked to play on DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Has anybody heard about Atomiswave games being hacked to play on DC?

Post by Calavera »

I saw this mentioned in a comment at the bottom of this page

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... mcast.html
By the way, has anybody here heard about Atomiswave games now being hacked to work on Dreamcast? Metal Slug 6 has been the first game just this week, and they said ALL Atomiswave games will be able to be "ported" over from that system and made to run on the Dreamcast.
I did a search for Atomiswave on here and didn't see any topics about it. Is this something that is actually happening or is the commenter just saying some bs?

*edit
Looks like I should have searched myself before making this comment. Right after I posted this I found this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclMQ9j ... =emb_title

So I suppose this post can either be deleted or left up to discuss Atomiswave games on Dreamcast.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Has anybody heard about Atomiswave games being hacked to play on DC?

Post by Nico0020 »

I've downloaded a few of them onto my MODE. Dolphinblue in particular is an absolute blast and I really wanted to sit down with a friend to play it once that 3rd level glitch is fixed. These ports are pretty special, as the arcade gameplay and timeframe of their release really make them feel like legit Dreamcast games that should have been. Apparently some of the games can't run off an actual disc though, and will always require GDemu/MODE/SD serial port adapter.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Nico0020 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:56 pm I've downloaded a few of them onto my MODE. Dolphinblue in particular is an absolute blast and I really wanted to sit down with a friend to play it once that 3rd level glitch is fixed. These ports are pretty special, as the arcade gameplay and timeframe of their release really make them feel like legit Dreamcast games that should have been. Apparently some of the games can't run off an actual disc though, and will always require GDemu/MODE/SD serial port adapter.
I think it is really cool things for the Dreamcast are still coming out over 20 years after the consoles release. I have to admit I don't have a DC anymore so I'm not able to try this out, but I can appreciate how cool it is. If this had come out in 2003 or so my mind would have been blown!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

The only one I've messed with so far is Metal Slug 6. I'm kinda waiting until the port-hacks have matured and been bugfixed before I load them up on my GDEMU
I saw Dolphin Blue got a fix from YZB recently for the 3rd level :D
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I've just been thinking those idiots at Sega Sammy should have released it when we were petitioning for it.
Now a fraction of the last decades DC userbase is playing it for free.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 pm I've just been thinking those idiots at Sega Sammy should have released it when we were petitioning for it.
Now a fraction of the last decades DC userbase is playing it for free.
If they'd released it back then, the entirety of last decade's DC userbase would have played it for free, and being able to play it for free at home would have cannibalized arcade revenue.
Sega was and always had been a terribly run company, but continuing to support the DC with new software was a dead end in 2003 and 2004 (when Atomiswave was released in Japan and North America, respectively), financially speaking.

Would have been awesome had they done it though. Clearly it wouldn't have been hard.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Maybe.
I don't consider pirates to be DC's core base in the mid 00's.
It was down to collectors only.
I can't imagine pirates dishing serious coin in the Arcades.
Also they just needed to wait a year like any other Arcade game for a console port...

But whatever It was 16 yeas ago...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:33 pm I don't consider pirates to be DC's core base in the mid 00's.
It was down to collectors only.
Are you joking? :lol: The years these Atomiswave titles would have been most relevant the Dreamcast piracy scene was extremely active. The collector's scene didn't take off until recently. There were a hundredfold more pirates back then compared to collectors. Dreamcasts were extremely cheap, the games weren't that outdated, everyone had CD burners (unlike today), broadband was becoming common, and Sega didn't even try to take down Dreamcast pirate content anymore. It was crazy piracy and hundreds of pirate releases for Dreamcast were made in that time span.

They would have been pirated into oblivion.
cube_b3 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:33 pmI can't imagine pirates dishing serious coin in the Arcades.
Also they just needed to wait a year like any other Arcade game for a console port...
Labelling people as "pirates" or "not pirates" and judging their actions based upon those two fictional categories is an overly simplistic view.
Usually the % of pirates goes up the easier it is to pirate the title. Many people are willing to buy a title if pirating is too much of a pain in the ass. This is why companies continue to employ copy protection on PC, even though it's always cracked. The first few weeks are crucial because the longer it takes to crack a game the better the overall sales will be.
Likewise, it doesn't correlate very much with how likely someone is to visit and spend money an arcade.
Dreamcast was not only a dead end but a money destroyer to anyone who continued to publish titles on because the extremely easy DC piracy could cannibalize multiplatform game sales, so it was wisest to not release for it.

We should be thankful we got those handfuls of arcade port shmups and stuff at the time.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Interesting perspective.
In contrast to PS2, Dreamcast does not require a modchip to boot pirate games.
That said let's just say 10% of PS2 users were successful at modding their PS2's and engaging in piracy.
Around the end of 2005, PS3 installed user base had successfully reached 100 million.
Dreamcast total user base was around 10 million. By 2005, roughly 10% of those users would still be active.
Even if 50% of those users were pirates, that could have still translated to 500,000 units sold.

I highly doubt that, my counter argument is sound. I'm just brain storming.
It is midnight, past my bedtime, I've been recovering from covid and fighting a lawsuit.
Just needed a distraction.