Need help please, strange VGA mod problem.....

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
spinksy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Need help please, strange VGA mod problem.....

Post by spinksy »

Right now I have just finished making the internal VGA mod for my Dreamcast and have just tryed it out, however I'm having a few random problems??

It works ok but sometimes (particularly if you move the switch wires AT ALL - I mean the tinyest knock) and then the screen will go off or flicker. I know the wires are soldered to the switch fine so can't be that.

Also the actual switch I put in dosent really work? If in VGA mode and you flick the switch it stays in VGA mode (should go off shouldnt it as I'm breaking the connection?) I followed this guide and am sure I've done everything correctly as I checked everything about 5 times.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-vga.htm

Instead of linking the earths on the VGA switch I considered putting 2 seperate earths but thats all I can think of that may effect it - anyone any ideas?

Thanks
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

Over-clocked : Dreamcast currently running at 240Mhz (switchable)

Internal VGA, extra cooling fans, disc activity LED, SD card reader done :-)

Dreamcast HD wanted
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Need help please, strange VGA mod problem.....

Post by Ex-Cyber »

spinksy wrote:Also the actual switch I put in dosent really work? If in VGA mode and you flick the switch it stays in VGA mode (should go off shouldnt it as I'm breaking the connection?)
No. What matters is the switch position when the game sets up its display mode. That's when it detects the cable, and all you're actually switching are cable identifier bits.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
spinksy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: Need help please, strange VGA mod problem.....

Post by spinksy »

ah ok, that makes sense.

thanks for that.

Just strange about how sensitive the wires are....
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

Over-clocked : Dreamcast currently running at 240Mhz (switchable)

Internal VGA, extra cooling fans, disc activity LED, SD card reader done :-)

Dreamcast HD wanted