My dreamcast is dead T_T !!!!!!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My dreamcast is dead T_T !!!!!!

Post by tekkaman1 »

A few weeks ago I was playing Skies of Arcadia and suddenly I heard a clicking noise. I tried to move the character around to see if I hear it again. Then I couldn't enter houses. I knew there was something wrong. Then I turned it off and on again to see if it do it again. And there goes the clicking noise and the game wouldn't start. I open the lid. And noticed the disk isn't spining fast like usual and it's the motor of the GD drive making the noise. Anyways. I ehmm desparate. I tried to open it. I did, no trouble. I was thinking if it was posible to change the motor. But the motor is not made for taking it out I think . So I leave it. I put everything back again. And now the dreamcast doesn't even boot. I made things worse >.< After 7 years! Why dreamcast why ? I thought you would never break down. Or that I could help it break down more T_T I don't think there's a way revive it, is it ?
Christuserloeser

Re: My dreamcast is dead T_T !!!!!!

Post by Christuserloeser »

Well, the easiest way to fix it would be to buy another Dreamcast and replace your GD-ROM drive. Or just to use it instead of your broken one.
Insane homebrew collector.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

The motor itself can't be replaced can it ?
ScottR
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ScottR »

if your in the UK gamestation are selling dreamcasts for £14.99 buy one and then take your old one back saying its faulty giving you a refund or 2 DC's for under 15 quid
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

tekkaman1 wrote:A few weeks ago I was playing Skies of Arcadia and suddenly I heard a clicking noise.
Ought-oh
tekkaman1 wrote:I tried to move the character around to see if I hear it again.
How the hell can you see if you hear something? :o
tekkaman1 wrote:Then I couldn't enter houses. I knew there was something wrong.
Go on.
tekkaman1 wrote: Then I turned it off and on again to see if it do it again. And there goes the clicking noise and the game wouldn't start. I open the lid. And noticed the disk isn't spining fast like usual and it's the motor of the GD drive making the noise. Anyways. I ehmm desparate. I tried to open it. I did, no trouble. I was thinking if it was posible to change the motor. But the motor is not made for taking it out I think . So I leave it. I put everything back again. And now the dreamcast doesn't even boot. I made things worse >.< After 7 years! Why dreamcast why ? I thought you would never break down. Or that I could help it break down more T_T I don't think there's a way revive it, is it ?
Of course you can't change the motor, you were a big ole sillyhead for even thinking you could. Dreamcast is old we've played it. Buy a Gamecube, it's the Dreamcast of today.
ScottR
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ScottR »

tekkaman1 wrote:The motor itself can't be replaced can it ?
yes but thats providing its the problem just stripped one down to see but it would be easier to splice the wires in or resolder the older cable to the new moter.
WarGames
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by WarGames »

It could need to be realigned, laser voltage increased (potentiometer), or you could have something like the battery dying. If you think its really the motor try to read the label off of it and searching on the web. GL
ScottR
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ScottR »

have you tried jumping an alternate power source to the motor to see if it spins?

ive a couple of spare GD drives i need to test if ones dead i can sort you a motor for postage if your in uk
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

ScottR wrote:have you tried jumping an alternate power source to the motor to see if it spins?

ive a couple of spare GD drives i need to test if ones dead i can sort you a motor for postage if your in uk
The motor spins but slower than it should. And it makes a noise. I dunno how to describe it. Then it stops spinning as if gets tired of trying to spin. Games don't even get the chance to load. I'm from Puerto Rico. >.< I tried to put some oil ( or grease dunno english term) on it. You know like when pcs fans tend to work bad . And when you do that they work well for some time. But didn't work on the motor. Same problem.

Off topic:
And Calavera
Had a gamecube sold it in less than a year. The library of games can't compare to DC. I don't know how you can compare it. Just because it had a few dc titles ? >.< As for my message. When you move a character on SoA. You notice the GD rom loud noise when entering battles or entering houses or dungeons that's what I was refering to. And dude. Forgive that my english is so bad. It's not my native language.
ScottR
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ScottR »

sorray mate i cant help you your best bet is to pick up another DC and keep the old for spares. Maybe you could pull a motor from something like a CD player

BTW your English is better than mine and its my only language