AV Port has finally kicked the bucket....

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
eleminator30
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

AV Port has finally kicked the bucket....

Post by eleminator30 »

Just last week my Dreamcast got to where it would play audio, but wouldn't play video. I was told it could be a problem with my AV Port. I opened up my DC *Dreamcast* and took a look at it. I saw a prong was seperated from the main board *where the processor is located and such* where the AV Port is...I can't find a tutorial ANYWHERE on how to repair this yourself...unfortunantly leaving me with the options of either buying a new one or sending mine back to Sega and letting them repair it...both are rather expensive....I love my DC a WHOLE LOT better than the emulators out there on the net...and plus, originals ALWAYS beats backups and ya can only play originals on the DC console.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

You can find broken Dreamcasts for like 1$ at ebay. Buy one and just replace the entire motherboard.
Insane homebrew collector.
WarGames
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by WarGames »

You could always try resoldering the unconnected pin back to the pad, which pin was it anyway?

A common problem when messing around with the A/V port is a short from +5V (Pin 5) to GND (Pin 1), this short will either blow a component, or more likely a trace to one of the inner layers on the motherboard. This can be fixed by soldering a wire from many of the +5V pads on the board to pin 5. Be very careful with the A/V port, you don't want to cause anymore damage obviously, so always double check your wiring. The 5V is needed for many adapters like the VGA adapter, RF adapter, etc. so if you're getting sound but no video that could be the problem.

good luck
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

...I have several dc motherboards that I could sell ya.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Smiley wrote:...I have several dc motherboards that I could sell ya.
do you have a working gd rom around???
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Yonke wrote:
Smiley wrote:...I have several dc motherboards that I could sell ya.
do you have a working gd rom around???
I have some that were pulled from other dreamcasts while getting other parts; dunno if they work, I'd have to test them.