Sega Saturn problems

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega Saturn problems

Post by Masen »

Hi,

as you can read here : http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=84601

i bought a (maybe) defect sega saturn on ebay.
it is a us/ntsc one and it came without any cables and joypads.
but as the power cables are the standart ones i can say that the saturn runs and the discdrive is spinning too.

The main problem is that the AV out port looks very damaged, im not sure that a cable will completly fit and work with it. So i wanted to know if there is another possibillity , like the VGA mod on Dreamcast or something ?

And are there any good repair/mod pages for Saturn ? (yeah i tried google but ive only found commercial repair and mod-chip services)

thx
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

well you can probably solder wires on the av port pins to build a new one. You just need this port pinout : http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/saturnav.htm.
You could for example make a db9 adapter, fit a female db9 in the saturn case and make an av cable with just a db9 and a standard cinch av cable (I did something like that for my genesis, but used a mini din).
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

yeah thank you ^^
but can you explain it in more detail, or do you have any links to tutorials or something for making own ports/cables ?
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

well it should be quite easy, say you want to make a composite video/stereo audio cable.
cut the end of a composite video cable, you'll get an insulated wire and a shield wire.
solder the shield to gnd, and the cable to comp video on the saturn pcb.
do the same for the audio cable, solder the shields to gnd and the other cables to left/right.

If you want to use a db9 just do the same choose a pinout and make sure it corresponds on the male and it's female counterpart.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

here's a nice picture :

if you want to use a db9 just solder the cables to the db9 pins and case. Do the same inside the saturn.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

left/right may be swapped, I never remember the colors.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The colors are correct (just remember: red = right).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

yeah thx again ^^

i tried, but got no picture on my tv ... i also think that i damaged something by re-assembling my saturn , because the LEDs are not working correct anymore ... :? :? :? the saturn is still turning on, the disc are still spinning ... but no picture , "Access" LED not working, first it was the "Power" LED not working ... so i think something is wrong with this saturn :cry:
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

update, update ^^ it finaly works ... ^^

my picture is black/white but this is normal on a PAL TV system, when using composite instead of RGB ...

i turn it on and the system ask me to select a language, as i dont have any joypads i cant select any ... but the "Access" LED is still not working could the LED be the problem or isnt there any connection to the CD Drive ???

Here the complete history of the LED problem:
1. i re-assembled the saturn, put it togheter again , everthings fine ...
2. i re-assembled the saturn, put it togheter again, Power LED not working Access LED is on but not blinking as usual.
3. i re-assembled the saturn, played with this connection wire-thing connecting this LED/Controller PCB to the main board, Power LED is working again but Access LED dont ...