Turn PAL DC into NTSC DC...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Turn PAL DC into NTSC DC...

Post by Morphv2 »

I have a revision 0 PAL Dreamcast, and I would like to know how to make it into an NTSC unit. Last time I checked, there was a mod that a single wire on the underside of the Dreamcast could alter the region. This Rev0 motherboard posseses such a wire. I do not know if it is REALLY a PAL motherboard, or a modified NTSC.

Can anyone help?
DC-16
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DC-16 »

Hi there Morph,

I went through a lot of searching around for tutorials or specific methods to convert the output signal from PAL to NTSC, and I can say that wiring is NOT a proper solution. It's too risky, and there are opposed opinions regarding the efectiveness of such methods... I guess its something worthy of the attention of mythbusters.

What I ended up doing was getting the AV cables to replace my SCART one and used the Gameshark CD-X. Once you start the CDX in and the replace it the game you want to play, just keep pressing A until the DC reboots. You'll see the familiar orange spiral instead of the blue one, and its ready to go!!

Be aware that there are some games which unfortuntely (and oddly), cannot be forced to play in 60 Hz (NTSC) in this way. Such games include Sonic Adventures (tried NTSC version), Skies of Arcadia (PAL v), Tonhy Hawks Pro Skater 2 (NTSC) and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (NTSC) as far as I tried, as these are my own games.

Your alternative in this case is getting a VGA box so you can play using your PC monitor. Though, there are some games that dont support the VGA mode... so you'll do best to check out first in DC VGA faq first.

Ok... there's ANOTHER alternative... and that is getting yourself (borrowed, if you can or from a second hand shop) a TV that supports NTSC, PAL, and SECAM modes. It's actually the best way to play your games with little effort (just switching modes with a menu button) and you dont modify ANYTHING in your system. Its also cheaper than getting a signal converter (from PAL to NTSC) which costs around $500 bucks the cheapest one.

...Oh and if you wonder if your DC PSU unit will stand change of voltage to 110 v, the answer is yes :) So far my PAL DC is still live and kicking, and I havent experienced any problems so far (and its been almost two years)

Hope this helped somehow...
See ya.
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

http://www.geocities.com/dcmod2000/palntsc.htm

hope that helps (and im gonna try it right now just to see if i get a orange swirl :lol: )

EDIT: i have misread it .. it forces it into 60hz pal :< .. and i really wanted an orange swirl :-< and i ave my dc moo in my hand right now :-<
lifes not fait :lol:
i'm still a Randite :worship: