dc's serial <-> pc's parallel

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

dc's serial <-> pc's parallel

Post by bender »

I'm just thinking that a circuit based on something like this would be very possible and cheap: http://www.pablin.com.ar/electron/circu ... /index.htm .

This works taking the serial data and converting it to parallel using a PIC16F84

The PIC16F84 costs about 6 euros where I live and the rest of the components cost near nothing, lol. The idea is to have a parallel interface for all those computers (mainly laptops :x ) that don't have a serial port. The .asm program for the PIC is also on the site. Perhaps we could also have better speed rates than using an standar dc's serial to pc's serial because we know that the dreamcast serial port is not an standard rs-232 :-) Seems something very cheap and that should be easy. We have even the program made, you only have to compile it and flash your PIC ;-)
Has anyone tried to make something similar? What do you think? Anyone interested in trying?
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

it could work but you'd need a faster microcontroller to sustain the 1.56 Mbps of the dreamcast, maybe a scenix @ 50Mhz would be a better choice since the clock matches the baud base rate of the dreamcast and you'd get enough power to compute higher rates.
It needs adding RTS/CTS and serial out too.

what about hooking an uart to the parallel port directly ?
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

I have really no idea, but that seems really better, lol. I have worked with some PICs a while ago but much better if one of you, hardware/software guys can have a look at something about this :-)
It could be like a very cheap way to have perhaps something interesting and speaking with some people, I know that I'm not the only one who does not have an rs-232 in his laptop too ;-)
But there's not much interest I guess :roll:

cheers
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

you are talking USB instead of RS232?
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

No. This is about a serial to parallel. Is just that seems a very cheap thing and that it could be interesting for all the people out there with a laptop, most of actual laptops (if not all) do not have an rs232, USB is just far better. Axlen was working on something but there was not much interest. I think this is really cheap perhaps. It's not the same but it could be nice :wink: .

About laptops, mine it's a Compaq Presario R3000z with an amd64. Same seems to happen with HP Pavillions. I think that the Alienwares had a serial, but the new versions do not have one either :? , sigh . Really, a serial port is something that you won't need with something like the USB, unless you have to connect an unusual/custom device or something old, lol

There's a serial to usb adapter. The linux kernel supports them but I have heard that does not work connecting the dreamcast, it would be slow too, but that is secondary perhaps :mrgreen:
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

Just a question. Has anyone tried an USB-> RS232 adaptor like http://www.micropik.com/provisional/ima ... ECABLE.gif ? Someone told me that this thing does not work for the dreamcast but I don't remember the reason.
dc-tool-serial-1.0.3-linux has also an option to choose the port, and the linux kernel makes a serial port in /dev/ttyUSBx for this kind of adaptors. With slip in the kernel and the device working in linux, giving the device name that we need to dc-tool-serial should work , I think

It's just that I have seen an adapter that costs about 22 euro and that I think that is linux compatible. I know, is slow but is also pretty cheap, lol
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

Well. just bought an USB -> Serial adaptor an it works with dc-tool in linux :D
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

bender wrote:Well. just bought an USB -> Serial adaptor an it works with dc-tool in linux :D
Which one did you get? I've been looking for one for ages to work with my Mac...
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

There's one problem. I can send the data only once with dc-tool. Then I need to reboot the system to get it to work again. Looking at my processes, I don't see anything strange, perhaps unloading the module and loading it again. Don't know...this is probably a problem of dc-tool, but hey, it works :-)

The device is the Aten UC-232A ( http://www.aten.com ) and the linux kernel module is the pl2303, according to the kernel doc (archive usb-serial.txt).

The box in which the device came, says PC or MAC, so it is MAC compatible. Does not say anything about linux but there's a driver for redhat in the cd (i'm using the kernel driver though)...really when a device works in win & mac, usually works in linux too, is not sure of course . ;-)
It has a 96byte buffer, lol and seems that is valid to connect all kind of serial devices. Does not need an IRQ. I'm also using a 64 bit linux system, perhaps that could be a problem for a dc-tool compiled for 32 bits, I don't know

The linux kernel options are:

USB Serial Converter Support -->
[*] USB Serial Console device support (EXPERIMENTAL)
[*] USB Generic Serial Driver
<M> USB Prolific 2303 Single Port Serial Driver

The serial Console device support makes a /dev/ttyUSB0 node for the device. We just need to say to dc-tool that our device is that one :-)

Another thing. dc-tool only supports 115200bauds but this device supports over 230kbps. I don't know if the max232 of the coders cable is a limitation or just changing the source code we could have higher transfer rates
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Oddly enough, I have a different USB->Serial adapter that's based around the same chipset..... mine, however, doesn't seem to work. Perhaps its just a driver issue....
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

If you can try it on a linux machine.... just in case. You need the driver but also some kind of a serial dispositive node, something like the /dev/ttys . I don't know how does this thing work on macs

The driver for the device seems to work since last 2.4.x kernels but you also need the 'USB Serial Console device support' and this is as experimental on a 2.6.12-gentoo-sources . I'm going to upgrade to 2.6.15-gentoo-sources just now ;-)
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

I was able to go up to 500Kbps with a standard dc coder's cable.

You can probably use 230Kbps, just try it.

Remember the real rates of the dreamcast are :
223Kbps, 260Kbps, 313Kbps, 390Kbps, 521Kbps ...
So 230Kbps should be near 223 enough to work properly.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

but dc-tool only lets me to choose 57600 and 115200 bauds, I think. How much is a baud in bytes? lol
I'm still having that problem of needing to reboot everything to send the data again, weird. There are not processes I could kill I think
On the other side, I have tried to upload many examples of different sizes and all seem to work fine :-)
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

download and compile the latest dc-tool, it's been patched bye axlen for higher bitrates (but I don't remember if he added 230Kbps too)

just tell dctool you want 230400, it's easy to patch if needed.

what bitrates can your cable do ?

don't worry about bits per second or bauds (but use bps to be exact).
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

The only version I seem to be able to find is the old one : http://adk.napalm-x.com/dc/dcload-serial/index.html :oops:
I have also been at Axlen's site: http://www.geocities.com/pboese@sbcglobal.net/ , but there are not files there

The old version of dcload does not compile for me :? :

Code: Select all

bender@darkstar ~/dctool/dcload-1.0.3 $ make
make -C host-src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bender/dctool/dcload-1.0.3/host-src'
make -C misc
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/bender/dctool/dcload-1.0.3/host-src/misc'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bender/dctool/dcload-1.0.3/host-src/misc'
make -C tool
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/bender/dctool/dcload-1.0.3/host-src/tool'
gcc -O2  -DBAUD_RATE=57600 -DSERIALDEVICE="\"/dev/ttyUSB0\"" -DHAVE_GETOPT -I../../minilzo.106 -I/usr/local/dc/sh-elf/include -o dc-tool.o -c dc-tool.c 
dc-tool.c: In function `recv_data':
dc-tool.c:295: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
dc-tool.c:309: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
dc-tool.c: In function `upload':
dc-tool.c:596: error: structure has no member named `_raw_size'
dc-tool.c:597: error: structure has no member named `_raw_size'
dc-tool.c:598: error: structure has no member named `_raw_size'
dc-tool.c:599: error: structure has no member named `_raw_size'
dc-tool.c:600: error: structure has no member named `_raw_size'
dc-tool.c:607: error: structure has no member named `_raw_size'
dc-tool.c:609: error: structure has no member named `_raw_size'
make[2]: *** [dc-tool.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bender/dctool/dcload-1.0.3/host-src/tool'
make[1]: *** [tool] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bender/dctool/dcload-1.0.3/host-src'
make: *** [host-src] Error 2
About the transfer rates, it only says ' Over 230 Kbps' . Perhaps I could check at the website of email Aten asking about?

Edit: Found this: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14034 . Is that the version I need?
Edit again: Is only the dreamcast image and the windows bin. No source or linux binary.
Now reading this super thread, lol: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showth ... tool+1.0.4
+Edit: Found it here: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=23791 . I think that's the last version, Axlen is the last commiter name :-)
++Edit: Compiles, lol. Trying...
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

I know axlen added 1,5 mbps, I don't remember for other bitrates

Take the last sources on the kos cvs, it compiles ok without the rawsize errors.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

Nice.
Tried the cvs version of dctool. It only lets me to choose between 57600 and 115200 bauds too but there are some changes Axlen made there for faster transfer rates. I'm also having the same problem as with the 1.0.3, needing to reboot everything to send the data again :? .
I'm still using dcload 1.0.3 with the cvs version of dctool, burnt my last 2 cdr's and did not work any, lol. Perhaps, that's a problem too :lol:

Changing the baud rate in the Makefile.cfg for one higher, is says that is unsupported. There's a 'case' in the dc-tool.c file that could be changed for higher baud rates. I've tried changing a bit but did not compile.
The nice thing is that is very possible to make this thing work perfectly and with pretty nice transfer rates at low cost. Nobody else has tried this? I think that the 230kbps are at least worth a look ;-)

Going to look at the kernel a bit...

Edit: compiled dc-tool.c adding 230400 support but did not work. Something is sent because the screen flashed about a milisecond but then dc-tool hanged. Perhaps is just I'm using dc-load 1.0.3 or that I need to send the 223kbps, I think
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

It does run without rebooting!!!! yeah, I'm happy.
I just discovered that unplugging the usb cable, typing 'dc-tool -t /dev/ttyUSB0' in the shell without the cable, pluging the cable and running dc-tool again, it works
Now if I could make the thing work for 230kbps :D

cheers

Edit: Tried a lot and this is rocking, lol. It really works fine.
Now, it's only working for 57600bps but I think this is a good thing(we know that 230400 does not work but neither the 115200), something related to my ttys config I think. In FreeBSD, I know the file of the ttys in /etc for adding the /dev/ttyUSB0 and the baud rate but in gentoo I can't find it, lol. It should be one somewhere in /etc ... :roll:
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

for the 230400 bitrate, check what configuration is sent to the dreamcast, and correct it.
(check the 115200 alternate rate).
If you don't see what I'm talking about I'll give you a patch.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

I have tried the -e but is not a problem related to the dreamcast<->pc connection. I changed the source code, it was just to add the 'case' option for the 230400, but nothing. The new baud rate is allowed but I have the same problem as with 115200. dc-tool starts but hangs after the 'Console enabled'
The weekends I live in a place where I connect through dial-up using a pcmcia modem, I know, this connection is prehistoric, lol. I have a serial port modem, so I have attached it to the cable an it works but is very slow, a lot more than the pcmcia one (and that modem should work fine because it does on the other computer).

Looking at the source code of the kernel driver for the pl2303, is see:

Code: Select all

baud = 0;
        switch (cflag & CBAUD) {
                case B0:        baud = 0;       break;
                case B75:       baud = 75;      break;
                case B150:      baud = 150;     break;
                case B300:      baud = 300;     break;
                case B600:      baud = 600;     break;
                case B1200:     baud = 1200;    break;
                case B1800:     baud = 1800;    break;
                case B2400:     baud = 2400;    break;
                case B4800:     baud = 4800;    break;
                case B9600:     baud = 9600;    break;
                case B19200:    baud = 19200;   break;
                case B38400:    baud = 38400;   break;
                case B57600:    baud = 57600;   break;
                case B115200:   baud = 115200;  break;
                case B230400:   baud = 230400;  break;
                case B460800:   baud = 460800;  break;
                default:
So I should be able to connect at 115200 and 230400 according to the hardware vendor. I could also try the 460800 despite of not working just with my USB<->Serial cable, lol. Perhaps, is another driver what I need, but the kernel doc says that is that driver and the real thing is that it works :?
Is there anyway to change the baud rate of a serial port? 'setserial' does not work for the /dev/ttyUSB* . In *BSD, I know that I just need to edit one file for this

Edit: On kppp I can select the baud rate but it has no effect at all, I don't know if this matters perhaps the real problem is the kernel driver I'm using