My Gamecube makes a strange noise sometimes...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My Gamecube makes a strange noise sometimes...

Post by Smiley »

I was playing Mario Sunshine last night, and while it was loading to go into a level it briefly made a light clicking noise..The reason it bothers me somehat is because about three years ago, I replaced the laser after it wa smaking LOUD clicking noises while loading and then giving me a dre. It still loads fine when it makes the noise, and it doesn't seem to do it all the time..so, anyone have a similiar experience? and what should I do?
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

the laser position button/sensor is acting up. at least that what it sounds like to me. when the laser assembly presses a small button by the disc spindle, it tells the system that the laser is at the base position. it's not really a problem though. the screw like thing the assembly uses to move back and forth is designed for such a flaw. i'd say check the little button underneath the entire laser assembly if you really want to fix it. it'll probably have brown wires going into it (the button)
wont u be my friend?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Mine makes this noise also. Has every now and then ever since I got it, which was 2nd hand at the time.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Funny--I've had mine for just shy of three years (it was used when I got it, too), and it has *never* done anything strange, or made any sounds aside from the standard disc-reading noises. I <3 my little silver box :P
Pablo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Pablo »

If the game still runs, don't worry about it. Stop worrying so damn much. Mine did the same thing, and outlasted my ps2.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Would the laser position sensor or whatever cause the laser itself to be rather loose? cause last night I was trying to clean the aforementioned cube and it was so loose that when I cleaned the laser it was moving.