DC wireless controller mod

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC wireless controller mod

Post by Nemesis »

So i came up with a way to do it,

use a wireless ps2 controller as a master, and the dc controller board minus the maple bus...pretty much doing the same thing that you would with the other controller mods (like NES-DC, but with the dc con. as a slave, instead of the other way around)... Then you get the ps2 > dc controller adapter and that's that...

the only problem is that i can't figure out how i would connect the joystick of the wireless controller to the HEDs (i belive they are magnetic switches) of the DC controller

anyone have any suggestions?
Feel it, Don't think
ILAMtitan
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ILAMtitan »

do you have any larger pictures?
From what i read, not see, it looks like it wont work. But i would like to see your diagram before i make any solid judgments.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

yah, my photo-hoster downsizes it, i'll see if i can get it bigger....

i did this in like 5 minutes, so it's crappy

everything else will work, it's just the joystick issue
Feel it, Don't think
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

How will your wireless ps2 controller be handling the maple bus protocol ??
Maple isn't just plain old synchronous serial transmission like playstation protocol.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

I found that if you ground the pin diagonally opposite then it is like having the analgoue full to that direction, I don't know if this helps you but I used it when I modded a SNES controller for DreamSNES and needed the select button to work.

I've been wanting to try to make a stock DC controller wireless for a while, at first I thought it was simply building a circuit to send a serial signal via IR, however I soon realised this is definately not an easy mod.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

Its a good idea, but have you ever tried using a PS2 wireless controller on the DC with the converter? I've never heard anyone confirm that it works, and I know it doesn't work with my Logitec PS2 controllers and the original Total Control. Or do you know that and plan to fix that?

-Matt
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

semicolo wrote:How will your wireless ps2 controller be handling the maple bus protocol ??
Maple isn't just plain old synchronous serial transmission like playstation protocol.
The maple bus is being removed...

to lynx44: that's what i'm doing, logitech wireless controller and the adapter, look at the diagram....
Feel it, Don't think
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

Here is the updated HED pinout diagram w/the info that ptr.exe gave us

I have an idea as to how they might function, there may be a second ground pin, and when the stick is not all the way in one direction (when it is just being pushed very slightly) either the "full" pin or the other unknown pin is grounded with this second ground....just an idea, i'll have to test it...
Feel it, Don't think
ILAMtitan
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ILAMtitan »

It may sound all good and well, but the PS2 and the dream cast controler communicate with their respective consoles with diffrent propritary communication protcals; you cant just solder the ps2 receiver to the controler board in the DC. You have a "controler adapter" in your picture, which is probably your colution to the problem, any information on it?
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

ILAMtitan wrote:It may sound all good and well, but the PS2 and the dream cast controler communicate with their respective consoles with diffrent propritary communication protcals; you cant just solder the ps2 receiver to the controler board in the DC.
...DUH...

ILAMtitan wrote:You have a "controler adapter" in your picture, which is probably your colution to the problem, any information on it?
Total control plus form lik-sang.com this allows me to do the other portion of my mod too....(rumble-reactant LEDs...)
Feel it, Don't think