Christmas light mod help

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Christmas light mod help

Post by arrowhead »

Howdy do? I want to mod my truck with some christmas light strings. I have an amp right behind my seat, so I figure the amp is a great place to get power for the lights. But the amp is 12 volts, and my house lights reguire 120v so I cant just splice them in there can I? And the battery powered strings are like 6v, so how would I step down the 12v input from my amp to the 5v that the battery powered lights need? What resisters and how many would I need to solder in to get it done?

Here is a paint picture of my car and what I want to do, help me guys, I want to feel festive.

Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

last I checked, those little xmas light bulbs werent volt dependant. Ive ran them on measely AA's before.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Yeah, 1 AA is 2.0 volts, and the lights that are battery run take 3xAA=3x2=6volts.

So I need to cut the 12volts from the amp into 6volts so the bulbs dont burn out.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

arrowhead wrote:Yeah, 1 AA is 2.0 volts, and the lights that are battery run take 3xAA=3x2=6volts.

So I need to cut the 12volts from the amp into 6volts so the bulbs dont burn out.
Actually, 1 AA battery is 1.5 volts.

Light bulbs themselves are not voltage-dependent. See, light bulbs are like resistors, the voltage in does not matter, as long as there's enough resistance in the circuit to dissipate the voltage coming in without overheating the resistors (and causing them to "burn out"). This is all basically coming from my experiences in High School Physics (last year, where we took light bulbs, and hooked them up in circuits with varying amounts of electricity (from 0-12 Volts DC, and 0-12 Volts AC))
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

You are right, it is 1.5. I thought they were 2.0 since I knew for sure a AAA is 1.5, that seems redundant now. AA and AAA having the same voltage.

ANyway, I guess Ill just hook them up and see what happens.
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name »

C and D are alse the same voltage. The difference is how long they last.
mmm.... n00b blood
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

No Name wrote:C and D are alse the same voltage. The difference is how long they last.
Ah...