VMU MP3 Player

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
TransparentShadow
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

VMU MP3 Player

Post by TransparentShadow »

Is this possible. I was sitting here and wondering how this could be done? I know there would have to be hardware addons or changes, but could it be done? My ideas were maybe making a usb connector that connects to where the vmu goes into the DC Controller. This could be then used to connect a usb flash drive for music storage. Then add a Headphone jack to the vmu somewhere. As for software that can read and play mp3 files, im lost on that. And the lcd I think could just be to Display what song your listening to. The usb drive can hold the programs needed to this also. lol. Geeze...these are complicated ideas for me.

I know about the prototype that was going to come out when the dreamcast was released (I guess it was shelved when the dc was tossed aside like a rotten egg), But I really find this Idea rather exciting.

Does anyone think this is possible?
"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas....How he got in my pajamas I'll never know." - Groucho Marx
Cooleo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Cooleo »

That would be some kick ass VMU Mp3 player
PLEASE ADD ME IN UR MSN,ICQ,AIM,OR YAHOOOOO
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

well a standard VMU doesnt have near the ammount of space to do it. Though sega was "working" on a VMU MP3 player back when. There are pics of it, but who knows if there was really anything even inside of it or not.

*The Cadillac of signatures*
TransparentShadow
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

well a standard VMU doesnt have near the ammount of space to do it.
For sure. I know that. Which is why i suggested the usb flash drive. :) This would be hella nice to develop something like this.
"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas....How he got in my pajamas I'll never know." - Groucho Marx
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

TransparentShadow wrote:
For sure. I know that. Which is why i suggested the usb flash drive. :) This would be hella nice to develop something like this.
and a pain in the ass to solder on the chip of the flashdrive as well as make drivers for it.
TransparentShadow
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Crazy Caboose wrote:
TransparentShadow wrote:
and a pain in the ass to solder on the chip of the flashdrive as well as make drivers for it.
Yea...but to me, it would be worth it :D lol.
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

well it would take a great number of ics me thinks becuase the vmu uses a parallel port but if their is some sort of flash for parrellel ive never heard of it probbably wouldnt be terrbly hard beacause two vmus can already talk to eachother. right now im actually working on a overclock for the vmu(useless i no) but a that with more memory and simple set of drivers you probably could work out a some low quality melodys cause you only can do one tone at i time i have my vmu using a headphone plug right now just hook the positive of a female headphone lead to the the positive of the speaker and the negative vice versa
Ceeg wrote:>_>
*imagines an X Box that can please me........sexually*
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

Is it too much to ask that people put a question mark in their topics?

it's like every day I see a post like "DC DVD PLAYER!" or "CRAZY COOL LED MOD!"

then I click on it only to find "so can it be done?"

anywho, a vmu mp3 player would be cool.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

You can't overclock it enough to playback MP3s. You'd need to add specialized hardware, storage, write playback software, make it all fit, etc.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

You can't overclock it enough to playback MP3s
I think i worded it wrong i didnt mean you could play mp3s but it probably would be possible to make a mp3 to asm actually wav would be easier since i think ive seen one already made for x86 then all it would take is modifing it enough to run as a gam on the vmu i no its not the best way. it cant show how long and i cant remember if theirs a limit to one minigame on the vmu
Mr.INSANE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Mr.INSANE »

How about a Vmu Midi player or nsf that would be great.
also the software for opensource midi players is all over the place.
not to mention midis are small and would fit nicely on the vmu
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

i bet u all think that this makes me a noob but i have never once used or heard a midi well i think. but that doesnt matter. if you could find me an asm source of a midi i look into porting it for a vmu. but i always thought midi was very hardware biased. ok one idea i had that would be kind of weird is that if you have a vmu and one of those 16 mb memory bank switchable memory cards and hooked the two together i beleive it would be very very easy to use that as a external flash witch you could save a bunch of midis on and have just the player on the vmu you could stream all your songs
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

did you mean making some hardware midi adapter for the vmu Mr.INSANE ? (this could be possible)
or make some audio adapter and having the vmu decode midi in software ? (that would be hard considering the vmu cpu power)
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

well ive personally been looking and i can not find a small asm based midi decoder
i would like to know from you all cuase i dont want to click search on google.

What is the simplest music or noise format?
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

there are ways to download a midi file to vmu apparently, but playing it on there is a whole new ball park
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

o yea getting one on would be nothing but puting on a paralell port and using the softwar i cant think of the name right. ill add a link later for that and the shematic but i shouldnt be too hard to use a extra memory card for space to save the music on
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

All of those formats would require custom hardware, some more than others.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Mr.INSANE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Mr.INSANE »

semicolo wrote:did you mean making some hardware midi adapter for the vmu Mr.INSANE ? (this could be possible)
or make some audio adapter and having the vmu decode midi in software ? (that would be hard considering the vmu cpu power)
Both

Although the software one would be probally the easiest
Also i like the idea of connecting another vmu with 16mb of memory that could work i would really like to see someone attempt this

for anyone willing to try this page might help you
http://linux-sound.org/midi.html
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

well if i can get one of the 16mb memory cards ill see what can be done first i want to write somthing simple that just can get the directory and read from my extra vmu (ive got two now) but the problem with this is your doubling the size sizewise not memory and then youve got to power them and its gonna get pretty big running off of two nine volts.....well actually you could power both off one 9 volt hmmm...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

We should just have a forum for "Impossible but cool". Too bad no one at sega will tell us if they had one working.