Panasonic CD player quesetion

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Panasonic CD player quesetion

Post by LyingWake »

I know this isn't Dreamcast related but I'll probably get a better answer here.

Anyway, my mini stereo system has trouble playing CD-Rs. I figured it was the speed I burnt them at but it does it on CDs I've burn at 4x. Is there usually a dial to turn on CD players like the Dreamast has on the GD-ROM drive? I think I might pop it open a little later.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Re: Panasonic CD player quesetion

Post by Smiley »

LyingWake wrote:I know this isn't Dreamcast related but I'll probably get a better answer here.

Anyway, my mini stereo system has trouble playing CD-Rs. I figured it was the speed I burnt them at but it does it on CDs I've burn at 4x. Is there usually a dial to turn on CD players like the Dreamast has on the GD-ROM drive? I think I might pop it open a little later.
You mean a pot meter? They should have one........
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Yes... okay, well I'm gonna try opening it up again cause I didn't see one before (I also only took the casing off).
Omega X
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Omega X »

have you tried different media? i mean like try using memorex discs if you've been using fuji-film.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

No, but that could be a possibility... I can't think of a different media brand other than the one with the problem that won't always read too well. They're TDK - thought they were good brand. :|
natiels
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by natiels »

Different discs can sometimes make a big difference. I always recommend the memorex discs with the little breaking glass on them. My car came with a cd player and the only discs that would work are the memorex ones. I have also told that to other people who had troubles and it worked for all of them.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I had some memorex back in the day that were total trash. Blue ink. Worst CD-Rs I've ever used, even had several midrange PC drives that had trouble reading them. But they obviously got better a couple of years after that, they're fine now. I've always had excellent luck with Fuji, but most brands these days are perfectly fine. Sometimes certain devices are really finicky, so changing brands can help, but it's often more of a fault of the reader or the burner, and changing media to something a bit more friendlier can make up for it.

Despite what people think, not all burners (DVD, CD) are equal in quality of burns, and just reducing the speed will only make them less prone to making tons of errors that NORMALLY do not affect the apparent usability of the disc. Reducing burn speed way below what the brand-name CDs are spec'd for is not always for the sake of the media, but rather the burner. Back when there were larger discrepencies between burners, one major test of them was media compatibility, and many burners recieved firmware updates to help in this regard. Nowadays its not as big of an issue, but some burners still produce more errors on certain media.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Pablo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Pablo »

natiels wrote:Different discs can sometimes make a big difference. I always recommend the memorex discs with the little breaking glass on them. My car came with a cd player and the only discs that would work are the memorex ones. I have also told that to other people who had troubles and it worked for all of them.
Was it a factory cd player? cause from my experience most cd players play any type of cd-r's. Or mine always have.

As far as blank cd-r media, I use either fuji or imation; love them